Octane Render for SketchUp 3.06.1.2 Test Release

Forums: Octane Render for SketchUp 3.06.1.2 Test Release
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Octane Render for SketchUp 3.06.1.2 Test Release

Postby CaptainCrowbar » Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 am

CaptainCrowbar Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 am
Release Notes for Octane Render SketchUp Plugin 3.06.1.2

This is an initial public test release of a major update to the Octane Render Plugin for SketchUp. Please note that this is an early beta release and should be used with care.

This release represents a thorough redesign of the plugin's user interface. The plugin now uses a separate window of its own, similar to the standalone Octane Render application. You can open this window through the Octane button on the SketchUp toolbar, or from SketchUp's Extensions menu.

The Octane plugin window is built from a set of panels similar to the standalone app:

* The Render Viewport (top left in the default view) shows the image rendered by Octane. This was originally a separate window in earlier versions of the plugin.

* The Node Graph Editor (bottom left) depicts a "sandbox" that shows only the material nodes (and linker nodes connecting them to the geometry); the rest of the node graph (geometry, rendering options, etc) is hidden. You can manipulate the material nodes in the same way you would in the Octane standalone app.

* The Node Inspector (right) shows the full details of any selected node, and allows them to be edited by hand.

* The Scene Outliner shows an expandable list of all nodes in the Octane version of the scene. This panel also has tabs giving access to the LiveDB and the local database. This panel is not visible in the default view but can be opened from the Window menu.

You can learn more about the new user interface from the manuals and tutorial videos for the Octane SketchUp plugin and the Octane Render standalone application:

* SketchUp plugin manual
* Octane Render standalone manual
* Octane Render 3.06.1 release notes

SketchUp Plugin v3.06 - Introduction Video

Other Changes

* There are no longer separate menu options for converting a SketchUp material to an Octane one, or for creating a new Octane material from scratch. These are no longer necessary since the new GUI window provides equivalent functionality. Converting a material from SketchUp to Octane is not a separate operation now; it happens automatically as soon as the material is used.

* All information about Octane materials is now saved with the SketchUp scene in the .SKP file. Unlike earlier versions, all texture graphics are included in this; textures are no longer saved in a separate directory. The saved scene also records any changes you make to the material nodes through the node graph editor. This has two important consequences:

* You can now transfer a scene file to another computer, or send it to another user, without losing the texture information.

* Scene files containing Octane plugin data are necessarily larger (sometimes much larger) than they were as plain SketchUp scenes, since they now contain all of the image files needed to reconstruct the Octane textures.

Requirements

Software:

* The plugin requires SketchUp 2015, 2016, or 2017 for Windows x64
* SketchUp 2017 is recommended
* Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 for x64
* The plugin is not compatible with any x86 (32-bit) version of SketchUp or Windows

Hardware:

* 64-bit Intel or AMD CPU
* One or more recent model Nvidia GPU cards
* Nvidia drivers 353.x or later; CUDA 8.0 support is required
* The plugin is not compatible with AMD or Intel GPUs

Installation

The installer has been completely rewritten. There are now separate installers for the SketchUp 2016 and 2017 versions of the plugin. You can install both versions on the same computer; they are now treated as separate applications. (The 2016 version of the plugin is also compatible with SketchUp 2015, although you will need to manually edit the install location.)

We recommend uninstalling all previous versions of the SketchUp plugin before installing the latest version.

Please note that stable and test releases will not be identified by any special version numbers. Because of potential compatibility issues if different builds of the Octane engine are run on the same system, we believe it is more important to keep plugin version numbers synchronised with the corresponding build of the standalone Octane application and the Octane SDK. If you are having problems, the first thing you should check is that you do not have different versions of other Octane products installed.

Download links:

* Plugin for SketchUp 2017
* Plugin for SketchUp 2016
* Demo plugin for SketchUp 2017
* Demo plugin for SketchUp 2016

Earlier Changes

These changes were made in earlier 3.x releases of the plugin, and are still relevant in the latest release:

* Like the Octane 3 standalone version, the SketchUp plugin uses the new single sign-on system. You still need to have purchased a license for the SketchUp plugin, but it will now be checked automatically when you log in using your Otoy account credentials; you no longer need to keep track of user IDs and passwords for individual licenses. The new authorization management window is a modal dialog where the user can sign out and sign in. It also informs the you under which name you are signed in and if that sign-in was in offline or online mode. When a user signs out, all of your licenses which were activated on this computer will be deactivated. This requires that all these licenses are currently not in use by other Octane processes; if that is not the case the sign out will fail.

* Because most rendered images are now stored in your computer's main RAM instead of your video card's RAM, all Octane 3 applications, including the SketchUp plugin, will frequently use a good deal more memory than their Octane 2 equivalents, especially for high resolution renders. You should keep this in mind when upgrading.

* 3.03+ releases include experimental Pascal GPU support. Please note that we are still working on performance issues there.

* Support has been added for the Skatter plugin's Render Only mode.

Known Issues

We hope to fix these in a coming update.

* Once a texture has been copied from SketchUp to the Octane version of the scene, any changes made to either version of the material are not reflected in the other version. (This is a simplification applied to ensure the two versions of the material are handled correctly in this version of the plugin; we intend to add automatic transfer of changes from one to the other in future, where the different properties and behaviour of Octane and SketchUp materials allows it.)

* The new GUI currently only supports one view of a scene; SketchUp models with multiple views are not supported yet.

* Importing materials directly from the LiveDB can crash the plugin. Materials can be brought in by copy and paste instead.

* Re-applying the same texture after an undo may fail to work. This is a bug in SketchUp, not related to the Octane plugin.
Last edited by CaptainCrowbar on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainCrowbar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Octane Render for SketchUp 3.06.1.2 Test Release

Postby smicha » Tue May 23, 2017 6:21 am

smicha Tue May 23, 2017 6:21 am
First of all - THANK YOU! I think we are finally very close to what we (me at least) asked for.

1. I still don't see the icons for kernel settings and all other icons to the right.
2. Can we have the outliner back to its left panel. It is a bit confusing not to see it after years of using it. Even if I reset work space it is not still there.
3. When I close Octane plugin it is till rendering in the background - my selected GPUs are still active - I reported it in a previous test version. Please correct it.
4. There is no other than "preferences" tab in the file menu - no save as orbx, save as default,... - is this intentional or will be added in next releases?
5. We have to have full functionality of mesh insert items - objs, ocs - instead of proxy in SU we shall be able to link obj/ocs in Octane and replace original geometry from SU.
* The Node Graph Editor (bottom left) depicts a "sandbox" that shows only the material nodes (and linker nodes connecting them to the geometry); the rest of the node graph (geometry, rendering options, etc) is hidden. You can manipulate the material nodes in the same way you would in the Octane standalone app.

Can we have geometry nodes visible?

6. When I hit reset workspace all nodes from the node editor are gone.
7. When I create any component there is no nodal representative of it until I apply any material onto it. MY HUGE WISH - please give us geometry nodes that would represent SU geometry (groups, components). This would also serve as proxy source when replaced with external obj/ocs.
8. There is no refresh button - I have to close and reopen Octane to get refreshed nodal structure.
Attachments
SU-outliner.jpg
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ArchMP » Tue May 23, 2017 7:44 am

ArchMP Tue May 23, 2017 7:44 am
Testing now
Thanks
ArchMP
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby -rb- » Tue May 23, 2017 8:59 am

-rb- Tue May 23, 2017 8:59 am
Guys...Firstly:

Where is the node tree? How can we use this plug in at all?

What is going on?

- Rich
-rb-
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Tue May 23, 2017 9:19 am

smicha Tue May 23, 2017 9:19 am
-rb- wrote:Guys...Firstly:

Where is the node tree? How can we use this plug in at all?

What is going on?

- Rich

Read my above remarks.
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby -rb- » Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 am

-rb- Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 am
I did Smicha - I wasn't referring to you ;)

I'm a little staggered the plug went out with no obvious way to change any settings.

I've already had about 4 crashes as Octane struggles to build 'Octane Geometry' when the plugin isn't active (copy/pasting geo between groups) - so that's clearly a bug. I've had to turn it off for the time being.

Everyone please continue writing up issues!

- Rich
-rb-
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 am

smicha Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 am
-rb- wrote:I did Smicha - I wasn't referring to you ;)

I'm a little staggered the plug went out with no obvious way to change any settings.

I've already had about 4 crashes as Octane struggles to build 'Octane Geometry' when the plugin isn't active (copy/pasting geo between groups) - so that's clearly a bug. I've had to turn it off for the time being.

Everyone please continue writing up issues!

- Rich

Yes - I agree. I cannot change any settings cause I don't see the outliner. Resetting workspace causes all nodes are gone.
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 am

smicha Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 am
Azen, Captiain,

I had to uninstall the plugin due to heavy instability of SU with the plugin installed. SU plugin is clearly working in the background even if not being opened - building geometry or modifying it causes SU to crash and SU slowdowns. The SU plugin must definitely stay inactive when working with it being closed. And Octane geometry building process shall start only when the plugin is being opened. Hope it is clear. Unless it is corrected I will not install the plugin. So please fix it asap.
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby -rb- » Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 am

-rb- Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 am
I agree the building of Octane geometry when the plugin is inactive not only causes instability but also ramps up file load times dramatically.

- Rich
-rb-
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 am

smicha Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 am
-rb- wrote:I agree the building of Octane geometry when the plugin is inactive not only causes instability but also ramps up file load times dramatically.

- Rich

Exactly.
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to SketchUp