Volume inside the volume

Forums: Volume inside the volume
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Volume inside the volume

Postby coilbook » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:16 pm

coilbook Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:16 pm
Hi
why both volumes must have same step length in order to look ok. If one of the volumes has a different step length and it is inside that volume it uses the step length of the volume it is inside instead of its own. Both volumes were simulated separately and have separate textures with their own step length. Can this be fixed
Attachments
volume 1.jpg
looks fine.jpg
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Volume inside the volume

Postby paride4331 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 pm

paride4331 Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 pm
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby haze » Tue May 02, 2017 12:41 am

haze Tue May 02, 2017 12:41 am
Assuming different step lengths for two overlapping volumes:

If inner step lengths are always chosen over the outer step length, then two volumes with non-zero overlapping regions will show boundary artefacts.

Conversely if outer step lengths are always chosen over the inner, then two volumes overlapping with zero and non-zero regions like the ones in your screenshot will show artefacts like you are seeing.

Lastly, if the average of the step length is used, then both cases will have artefacts.

We have experimented with solutions to this in the past, by removing the step length entirely, but at the time it seemed too slow. For now, the best approach would be to set the step length to the same value for both overlapping volumes.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Tue May 02, 2017 1:10 am

coilbook Tue May 02, 2017 1:10 am
haze wrote:Assuming different step lengths for two overlapping volumes:

If inner step lengths are always chosen over the outer step length, then two volumes with non-zero overlapping regions will show boundary artefacts.

Conversely if outer step lengths are always chosen over the inner, then two volumes overlapping with zero and non-zero regions like the ones in your screenshot will show artefacts like you are seeing.

Lastly, if the average of the step length is used, then both cases will have artefacts.

We have experimented with solutions to this in the past, by removing the step length entirely, but at the time it seemed too slow. For now, the best approach would be to set the step length to the same value for both overlapping volumes.

i will send the scene about the boundary showing with two overlaping grids. they both have same step length
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports