Altus rendering denoising system

Forums: Altus rendering denoising system
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Altus rendering denoising system

Postby mark0spasic » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:11 pm

mark0spasic Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:11 pm
Leonides02 wrote:Also, there's no way we can use this for animation, correct? I mean, I don't know of a way to export render passes inside the animation tab...

You can render animation I did using 3dsmax, when you render animation along beauty pass all other passes get stored I just needed to rename my files because altus needs file names to look like file name.0001.exr ...
Then in Altus you load first frame and check animation box set start and end frame. That`s it. ;)
AMD FX 6300, 24 GB RAM, Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud5, 2x MSI GTX 780 3GB
mark0spasic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Goldorak Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:23 pm
One more useful way we might expose Altus is through ORC. ORC is basically out of private invite mode this month and the ORC team is looking to roll out new modules like this. Encoding and streaming VR renders jobs from ORC output is already enormously useful, and used for all the new animated ORBX VR content you see in Oculus Social , OMP and soon Samsung Internet WebVR.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Leonides02 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:29 pm

Leonides02 Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:29 pm
mark0spasic wrote:
Leonides02 wrote:Also, there's no way we can use this for animation, correct? I mean, I don't know of a way to export render passes inside the animation tab...

You can render animation I did using 3dsmax, when you render animation along beauty pass all other passes get stored I just needed to rename my files because altus needs file names to look like file name.0001.exr ...
Then in Altus you load first frame and check animation box set start and end frame. That`s it. ;)

Really? That's great and makes Altus infinitely more useful (although renaming files is a pain). How do you export the required render passes? I use the DAZ plug-in, but maybe it's similar as 3DS Max?

Goldorak wrote:One more useful way we might expose Altus is through ORC. ORC is basically out of private invite mode this month and the ORC team is looking to roll out new modules like this. Encoding and streaming VR renders jobs from ORC output is already enormously useful, and used for all the new animated ORBX VR content you see in Oculus Social , OMP and soon Samsung Internet WebVR.

Good news on ORC! And, yes, that would be greatly useful.
Leonides02
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mark0spasic » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:10 am

mark0spasic Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:10 am
Leonides02 wrote:
mark0spasic wrote:

Really? That's great and makes Altus infinitely more useful (although renaming files is a pain). How do you export the required render passes? I use the DAZ plug-in, but maybe it's similar as 3DS Max?

About exporting multiple passes from DAZ plugin you could ask your plugin devloper how to do that, in 3ds you can set location to save image and with render elements activated along beauty pass all passes will be saved for all animation frames. If you have some problems about renaming multiple files you can use this free software:http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php ;)
AMD FX 6300, 24 GB RAM, Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud5, 2x MSI GTX 780 3GB
mark0spasic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MildMustard » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:04 am

MildMustard Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:04 am
Goldorak wrote:
MildMustard wrote:In my humble opinion, the denoise function should be from Otoy, just as Chaos Group has created one for Vray. It makes much better marketing sense this way too, as it would be a feature within Octane (regardless that is doesn't lie within core) and no need for another purchase to get quicker cleaner renders. Even though it isn't perfect, Vray does a supurb job! I use both Octane and Vray for Modo and it would be a cherry on the top if we had this natively in the program.

I agree. See my other post on the 3.1 roadmap. Adaptive Sampling is coming, at the latest in 3.1, which will be non-destructive (and therefore higher quality then brute force denoising). We are also looking for feedback on Altus for users who have been using it with 3.0 - what works and doesn't. This would be helpful before we proceed with our own version (we have some novel ideas for denoising we are testing in any case).

Really good to hear!, will read the 3.1 roadmap. Thanks for the reply on this, it is appreciated!
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Leonides02 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Leonides02 Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 pm
FYI, just got this message from Innobright's support regarding the visibility pass. It confirmed what I thought, which is that Opacity doesn't work:

Hi,
From our emails with Octane team from past October, there do not support visibility pass. There is a hack and that is dividing out the color information in the diffuse pass using the Albedo (diffuse filter) pass, and then de-saturate that. Not sure how this is done but you can do this in most image-editing and compositing packages apparently. We've been asking them to fix this for some time and we're not sure if it's been fixed in any latest release of Octane.

Best Regards,
Innobright support

Any word on if this was / will be fixed? Thanks.
Leonides02
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:46 pm

Goldorak Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:46 pm
Leonides02 wrote:FYI, just got this message from Innobright's support regarding the visibility pass. It confirmed what I thought, which is that Opacity doesn't work:

Hi,
From our emails with Octane team from past October, there do not support visibility pass. There is a hack and that is dividing out the color information in the diffuse pass using the Albedo (diffuse filter) pass, and then de-saturate that. Not sure how this is done but you can do this in most image-editing and compositing packages apparently. We've been asking them to fix this for some time and we're not sure if it's been fixed in any latest release of Octane.

Best Regards,
Innobright support

This is in fact correct and now that it's come to the dev's team attention we are going to address this AOV pass in 3.0 ASAP and make it seamless and automated. The plus side, as I've been told, with this working right, the denoising quality for Octane is very, very impressive. We will be working out a way for an Octane bundle after this is confirmed done, and support it officially with 3.0.6+.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Leonides02 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:07 am

Leonides02 Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:07 am
Goldorak wrote:
Leonides02 wrote:FYI, just got this message from Innobright's support regarding the visibility pass. It confirmed what I thought, which is that Opacity doesn't work:

Hi,

Best Regards,
Innobright support

This is in fact correct and now that it's come to the dev's team attention we are going to address this AOV pass in 3.0 ASAP and make it seamless and automated. The plus side, as I've been told, with this working right, the denoising quality for Octane is very, very impressive. We will be working out a way for an Octane bundle after this is confirmed done, and support it officially with 3.0.6+.

Great news! Thanks, Goldorak. It's already darn impressive with just the passes I'm using now.
Leonides02
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Scottiefeng » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:43 am

Scottiefeng Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:43 am
Goldorak wrote:

Hi,

Best Regards,
Innobright support

Let's put some faith in the team.

Cheers
Scottiefeng
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Leonides02 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:24 am

Leonides02 Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:24 am
Guys / Octane team be aware...

If you get Altus, you must use the SHADING NORMALS in "Normals," not GEO NORMALS.

The geo normals results in weird striation, especially on character models.
Leonides02
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion