GPU-Oriented PCIe Expansion Cluster???

Forums: GPU-Oriented PCIe Expansion Cluster???
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

GPU-Oriented PCIe Expansion Cluster???

Postby protovu » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:52 pm

protovu Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:52 pm
Hello All,
I have been wondering if this was physically possible: to plug multiple Video Cards into a single slot.
Seems there is a product to enable this. For about $450 US, Amfeltec has something which would enable 4 into 1.

My questions:

generally, possible technical issues with Octane...or even Windows7?

processing bottle necks? – if we are running 4 cards through one of the native slots, yes? Can the single slot in the MB handle it?

http://amfeltec.com/products/gpu-oriented-cluster/

Thanks!
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: GPU-Oriented PCIe Expansion Cluster???

Postby glimpse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:59 pm

glimpse Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:59 pm
Amfeltecs GPU cluster is actually a pretty awesome product, How much GPUs You can plug in total depends on You motherboard rather than Cluster(s) itself =) what are You working on right now? (drop a line while I will try to write a bit about this piece =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:13 pm

glimpse Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:13 pm
Personally I do not have GPU cluster, but I had Expansion Backplane & still own splitter (both from the very same company =).

So, GPU limitations. The number of cards would most likely going to be defined by system You use. Most of mainstream boards might start having issues after 4-5 cards, a bit better would be able to handle 7-8 & server oriented units might be able to go over 10.. (take those numbers just a a rough guidelines to illustrate the picture =)

x1 lane as connection would limit the speed Your GPU could communicate with CPU & it very much depends what type of projects You're working. For some that is felt very much, while others do not bother about that speed drop at all.

One thing to mention, is that in certain situation You might notice some hangs or crashes due to x1 interface (we have a thread in this forum somewhere & Guys do share their insights about that problem - wasn't following that lately so honestly do not know how it goes now - will post a link to thread if I find it).

Overall it's great product that might help You to expand Your rig easily, but You get what You pay & by that I mean.. this solution for 4x GPUs on x1 interface costs like 450$ while on x8 or x16 would cost You over 2k$.. whether You would be happy with it or not much more depends on Your needs & preferences rather than anything else (at least that's my opinion =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby protovu » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:21 pm

protovu Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:21 pm
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful, though I will need to bone up on some the technical stuff.

My system is:
Dual Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40 GHz
32 GB RAM

Currently, I have 2 TitanX's
and a GTX 970

Just ordered a 980 ti (used)

Rick
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support