OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.05

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.05
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.05

Postby abstrax » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:26 am

abstrax Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:26 am
Hi all,

After various test builds here now the proper (hopefully) stable release, which improves the rounded edges as much as possible using the current topology driven approach. This version also adds a couple of smaller features that have been requested.

Changes since version 3.04.5:

• Overhauled the rounded edges compilation and rendering. This version represents the best we think we can do with the current system and we are working on a new approach which will hopefully be more robust.
  • Added option "merge unwelded vertices" the geometry import preferences. Enabling this option will merge nearby vertices, to improve the calculation of vertex normals and rounded edges.
  • Added option "collapse items" to the context menu of the node graph editor to collapse one or more nodes into their destination pins. This will automatically collapse their input nodes, too. The default shortcut is CTRL-M.
  • Added option "expand items" to the context menu of the node graph editor to expand the internal nodes of one or more selected nodes. The default shortcut is CTRL-E.
  • Added option "expand" to the context menu of the node inspector to expand an internal node out of its pin.
  • Replaced option "distributed ray-tracing" in the render passes node with the enum "distributed tracing mode" which provides a new option "non-distributed, no pixel filtering" that disables pixel filtering/anti-aliasing in all info passes, except AO, wireframe and render layer mask (see viewtopic.php?f=30&t=55763).
  • Reduced the GPU memory usage of deep pixel rendering for larger images.
  • Added information about the number of emitting triangles and instances to the resource statistics of the render viewport status bar (right-click).
  • Fixed crash in loop subdivision mode (see viewtopic.php?p=297429#p297429).
  • Fixed device failure when a small film region is rendered with deep pixels.
  • Fixed integer overflow during HDR tone mapping when huge images are rendered resulting in the bottom of the image being black.
  • Fixed loading of OBJ files with partial normal/UV definitions (see viewtopic.php?p=296280#p296280).
  • Fixed incorrect loading of some OpenVDB files with constant voxel groups, which don't have the background value.
  • Fixed film region selection tool which set the film region size one pixel too small.
  • Fixed un-do of changes after a re-do of an un-group command.
  • Lua: Added octane.node.collapse(), octane.node.expand() and octane.node.expandOutOfPin() to the API.
  • Lua: Added octane.nodegraph.expand() and octane.nodegraph.expandOutOfPin() to the API.
  • Lua: Added emittingTriangleCount and emittingInstanceCount to PROPS_RENDER_MEM_USAGE.

OctaneRender Standalone downloads

Windows
commercial version (installer)
commercial version (ZIP archive)
subscription version (installer)
subscription version (ZIP archive)
demo version (installer)
demo version (ZIP archive)

Mac OS X
commercial version (DMG image)
subscription version (DMG image)
demo version (DMG image)

Linux
commercial version (ZIP archive)
subscription version (ZIP archive)
demo version (ZIP archive)

Photoshop workflow plugin download

You can download and install the plugin either via the Adobe Exchange platform or you can download it from the link below and manually install it.

Windows and Mac OS X
- Photoshop extension (v1.0.3) (ZXP archive)

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY NZ Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.05 [current 3.xx]

Postby manalokos » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:34 pm

manalokos Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:34 pm
Great! Thank you!
Have a nice weekend.

Regards
Filipe
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:37 pm

funk Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:37 pm
Thanks to the new vertex merging option, I'm now getting better results with rounded edges.

In the past, we had to use a special option in the modo plugin (load cage) to export merged vertices correctly. Unfortunately, when this option was enabled, it also removed modo's auto generated vertex normals. You had to manually generate the vertex normals for best results. Now that the "load cage" option isn't needed, we get the generated vertex normals without the extra work, which helps the Octane rounded edges look better.

I'm still getting better results by manually editing the mesh, then triangulating it in a "nice" way though (eg poles in the center of cylinder caps). I would obviously prefer not to have to do any of that. Hopefully the new approach you are working on will deal with this better.

Once again, thanks for working on rounded edges. Many of us have been waiting for this for a long time.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:53 pm

FrankPooleFloating Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:53 pm
Speaking of triangles, you would think that it could make the engine more efficient and speed up voxelization if the engine could somehow keep quads and not need to triangulate everything during vox... I think I asked about this before, but not sure I got an answer. No biggie. Just thinkin' and crap...
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:15 am

calus Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:15 am
abstrax wrote:[*] Added option "collapse items" to the context menu of the node graph editor to collapse one or more nodes into their destination pins. This will automatically collapse their input nodes, too. The default shortcut is CTRL-M.
[*] Added option "expand items" to the context menu of the node graph editor to expand the internal nodes of one or more selected nodes. The default shortcut is CTRL-E.
[*] Added option "expand" to the context menu of the node inspector to expand an internal node out of its pin.
[*] Lua: Added octane.node.collapse(), octane.node.expand() and octane.node.expandOutOfPin() to the API.
[*] Lua: Added octane.nodegraph.expand() and octane.nodegraph.expandOutOfPin() to the API.

This is very nice to have this as a builtin Octane feature, thanks !
And as it is also in the API, I guess it will make plugin developer's life easier to export nicely organized ORBX.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:29 am

calus Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:29 am
abstrax wrote:[*] Replaced option "distributed ray-tracing" in the render passes node with the enum "distributed tracing mode" which provides a new option "non-distributed, no pixel filtering" that disables pixel filtering/anti-aliasing in all info passes, except AO, wireframe and render layer mask (see viewtopic.php?f=30&t=55763).

Thanks a lot.

Such an important feature especially for zdepth and colorID. :D

Is there a reason this is only for passes and not for the InfoKernel ?
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:39 pm

abstrax Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:39 pm
calus wrote:
abstrax wrote:[*] Replaced option "distributed ray-tracing" in the render passes node with the enum "distributed tracing mode" which provides a new option "non-distributed, no pixel filtering" that disables pixel filtering/anti-aliasing in all info passes, except AO, wireframe and render layer mask (see viewtopic.php?f=30&t=55763).

Thanks a lot.

Such an important feature especially for zdepth and colorID. :D

Is there a reason this is only for passes and not for the InfoKernel ?

No, just an oversight. The kernel node will be updated in the next release.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby enricocerica » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:47 pm

enricocerica Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:47 pm
Can someone confirm that out of core is still working, I'm trying to load some previously working scenes but none of them are working anymore.
Modeling system : I7 32GB Windows 10 & Fujitsu Celsius H720
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
http://www.myline.be
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:30 am

bepeg4d Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:30 am
Hi Enrico,
yes, I can confirm.
I have just opened an old scene with out-of-core active and it works as expected in v3.05:
Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 09.27.26.jpg

ciao beppe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby enricocerica » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:43 pm

enricocerica Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:43 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Hi Enrico,
yes, I can confirm.
I have just opened an old scene with out-of-core active and it works as expected in v3.05:
Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 09.27.26.jpg

ciao beppe

Ok thanks Beppe, I will then investigate from my side.
Modeling system : I7 32GB Windows 10 & Fujitsu Celsius H720
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
http://www.myline.be
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)