Environment input pipe

Forums: Environment input pipe
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: face_off

Environment input pipe

Postby RobotRumpus » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:14 am

RobotRumpus Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:14 am
One thing I would like to see is an input pipe in the Octane render node to plug an image or procedural environment into the Environments node.

thanks,

~Jason
Robot Rumpus.com
RobotRumpus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Environment input pipe

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:39 am

face_off Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:39 am
Hi - I missed this post, so sorry for the delay.

I looked into having Nuke nodes plug into the OctaneRender node as an Environment when writing the plugin. However I could not see any advantage over the current system where you edit the Environment via the Octane scene. Nuke nodes such as ColorBars and ColorWheel will not work as an Octane Environment. However a Read node would - but I'm not sure it offers any benefit over setting the HDR image map inside the Octane Environment node yourself (where you get more flexibility to tweak settings). Happy to hear an opposing view.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby RobotRumpus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:23 pm

RobotRumpus Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:23 pm
I see. Well, I don’t have a whole lot of experience with this yet, but here is my thinking…
- One issue I have had is when I open up a script elsewhere on the network or on a different operating system, the Nuke read nodes auto-localize the read path, so my scripts open up perfectly under mac or windows, and in different places on the network if shots get moved around. However, the Octane environment input always breaks and has to be reset. If it were governed by a Nuke read node instead, that wouldn’t happen.

- Another advantage would be that it would be useful to use Nuke resources to live-color-correct, filter, or otherwise process images or animation going into the environment node. I am speculating, since I have not needed to do that yet, but I can see that being an advantage.

Thanks so much for you help! It is much appreciated!

~Jason
RobotRumpus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:21 am

face_off Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:21 am
I will see if I can implement this in the next release.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:54 am

face_off Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:54 am
I have spent some time trying to implement this request. It either needs to be done by converting the Nuke Environment Map Read node path string to an actual OS path (which the Nuke API does not appear to do), or by getting the actual IBL bitmap from the Nuke Environment node and loading it into Octane (also not trivial). So in summary, this is possible, but complex. So I have not been able to implement it yet - but I will keep looking at it as time permits.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to User Requests