OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04.4

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04.4
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04.4

Postby abstrax » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:11 am

abstrax Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:11 am
Hi all,

This is just a minor update we are pushing out to fix a regression in the direct light calculation of transmissive materials. It also improves the render job graphs.

Changes since version 3.04.3:

• Added an output directory to the render job graphs.
  • Added a render job group node.
  • Added a group attribute (A_GROUP) to linker nodes which is used by the node inspector to group inputs, when given. We use it to arrange the inputs of the batch render job graph. We will add the ability to manually specify groups via the GUI in the next release.
  • When a new project is loaded the current project is first replaced by an empty one, before the new project is loaded. This should trigger a reload of all assets. (see viewtopic.php?p=294382#p294382)
  • Fixed incorrect direct light calculation of transmissive materials (see this example: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=57359)

License tracking change since version 3.02

To implement the floating licensing system we need to keep track of all Octane processes that use a specific license on the computer. This way we only release/deactivate a license when no Octane process is using that license anymore. Originally we used a third-party library for that. Unfortunately there were various issues with that and caused crashes during startup in various circumstances. To fix the problem we changed it to an internal (file based) system in version 3.02. Unfortunately this separates the license usage tracking of version 3.02 and higher from the usage tracking of 3.00, 3.01 and 3.01.1.

-> Please make sure that you only run either version 3.00, 3.01 and 3.01.1 at the same time or only version 3.02 or higher.

OctaneRender Standalone downloads

Windows
- 64-bit commercial version (installer)
- 64-bit commercial version (ZIP archive)
- 64-bit demo version (installer)
- 64-bit demo version (ZIP archive)

Mac OS X
- 64-bit commercial version (DMG image)
- 64-bit demo version (DMG image)

Linux
- 64-bit commercial version (ZIP archive)
- 64-bit demo version (ZIP archive)

Photoshop workflow plugin download

You can download and install the plugin either via the Adobe Exchange platform or you can download it from the link below and manually install it.

Windows and Mac OS X
- Photoshop extension (v1.0.3) (ZXP archive)

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY NZ Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.04.4 [current 3.xx]

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Hesekiel2517 Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:26 pm
Thank you for the new Version! Sadly it doesn't solve my problem. I attached two images rendered with the new version. HDR without importance sampling:
Glass__0000_Without.jpg

and with importance sampling:
Glass__0001_With.jpg

I also testet with an older Version 3.03.3 --> same result

kind regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:56 pm

roeland Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:56 pm
Hesekiel2517 wrote:Thank you for the new Version! Sadly it doesn't solve my problem.

That looks more like a difference in noise. Enabling sample environment will give much less noise if your environment contains light sources. Do you have fake shadows enabled in the glass or foam materials? If so, subsurface scattering will often be rendered brighter, but with much less noise.

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Hesekiel2517 Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:47 pm
Mhmm, ok. but if i use Emitter instead of HDR the result is even worse:
Octane_Bug_Lights_Glass.jpg

As a workaround i bake the lighting with a panoramic camera. But it would be great if normal lights work aswell.

Edit: Oh and yes Fake Shadows are switched on on every transparent material
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:48 pm

roeland Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:48 pm
What are the kernel settings in this scene? What are the maximal path depth settings?
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:06 am

Hesekiel2517 Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:06 am
I set the Depth really high but it has no effect on the foam:
Glas_Bug.jpg

It's the newest Modo Plugin, but it is also the same in Octane Standalone.

Edit: Ok I tested a little further. The problem only appears with a diffuse material and SSS. From left to right: Specular with SSS, Diffuse with SSS, Diffuse without SSS
SSS_Bug.jpg
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:31 pm

Jolbertoquini Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:31 pm
Hesekiel2517 wrote:I set the Depth really high but it has no effect on the foam:
Glas_Bug.jpg

It's the newest Modo Plugin, but it is also the same in Octane Standalone.

Edit: Ok I tested a little further. The problem only appears with a diffuse material and SSS. From left to right: Specular with SSS, Diffuse with SSS, Diffuse without SSS
SSS_Bug.jpg

Hi,

Did you try to deactivated fake shadow on the "Glass" Specular shader? Is working nice then for me? Also why deactivated environment "importance sampling" is better to have on will be cleaner faster.
Please look the image is that you are calling "bug"

Best,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby brewiq » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:45 pm

brewiq Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:45 pm
Hi,
In my octane standalone 3.04. the portals option doesn't work.

Portals window is blocking the sun rays.
Please see attached images.

portals_on.jpg

PORTALS ON

portals_off.jpg

PORTALS OFF

Can you help me and explain what could be wrong? In the past it was working with the same file.

Thank you in advance,
Jan
brewiq
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:04 pm

Notiusweb Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:04 pm
Hi Abstrax,
Do you remember that thing with the PC freezing because of devices being connected to splitters (Amfeltec) , and I measured that DPC latency was very spiking high right before a crash, and then I found the high spike was associated with the Post Processing being switched on, and then you did that thing with the tonemapping so we could deselect the devices that were causing the crash?

Just to follow up on that thing, was using C4D to export frames through Octane plugin, and in that process, it seems to operate very interestingly. Unlike the standalone which applies post processing at the beginning, the C4D process renders the image without post processing, and then right at the end it slaps the Bloom effect on it. When this happens, and I see the image update with Post Processing, there is a predictable corresponding high spike in DPC latency. I do not get crashes as I use my main board-connected GPU for tonemapping alone, so the DPC latency is not high enough to crash my PC. But it really shows that the post processing was the killer.

Just in case Octane ever starts acting stupid like a wiseguy, it could very well be that son-of-a b!^@# Post Processing drawing too many pc (or GPU?) resources.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Erick » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:24 pm

Erick Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:24 pm
brewiq wrote:Hi,
In my octane standalone 3.04. the portals option doesn't work.

Portals window is blocking the sun rays.
Please see attached images.

portals_on.jpg

PORTALS ON

portals_off.jpg

PORTALS OFF

Can you help me and explain what could be wrong? In the past it was working with the same file.

Thank you in advance,
Jan

I can confirm this, I'm having the same issue with a current scene of mine.
Up till vers. 3.04 Portals worked fine, after it, something is broken with them.
Also, 3.04.x versions are rendering much slower, with portals enabled.
Erick
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)