Octane will be free in Unity

Forums: Octane will be free in Unity
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Octane will be free in Unity

Postby fatrobotsneedlove » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:52 pm

fatrobotsneedlove Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:52 pm
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161101006610/en/Unity-Unveils-Tools-Advanced-Graphics-Performance-Introduces

Surprised no one posted this since yesterday.

Was hoping for news on adaptive sampling, integrated denoising, octane imager, render slave licenses, or OSL. But nope. More VR. :cry:
4x 2080ti hybrids, 4x 980ti Hyrbids. C4D, Houdini.
fatrobotsneedlove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane will be free in Unity

Postby itsallgoode9 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:18 pm

itsallgoode9 Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:18 pm
they say that none of this stuff takes anything away from any octane development. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

..still waiting for V3 on Maya
...others waiting on V3.1 which contains features they originally promised in v3.0
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fatrobotsneedlove » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:54 pm

fatrobotsneedlove Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:54 pm
itsallgoode9 wrote:they say that none of this stuff takes anything away from any octane development. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Which is like saying any money I spend at the bar isn't taking away from my savings cause it's in my wallet instead of my bank account :lol:

I'm sure all the VR stuff is going to be really cool, and I'm sure it's something I'll use at some point down the road. But innovation should never come at the cost of momentum.

Also makes the subscription option a really poor choice. Which is fine, because full licenses are still available, but then we need full render slave licenses too.
4x 2080ti hybrids, 4x 980ti Hyrbids. C4D, Houdini.
fatrobotsneedlove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby shelshok » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:58 am

shelshok Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:58 am
Didn't see any mention, but is this cross-platform? Mac support?

Is it assumed that by the time this releases, Octane will run on AMD and Intel GPUs?
shelshok
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:59 am

Goldorak Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:59 am
shelshok wrote:Didn't see any mention, but is this cross-platform? Mac support?

Is it assumed that by the time this releases, Octane will run on AMD and Intel GPUs?

We have had AMD support working with all 3.0 features in an internal build we made months back. We are working with AMD to address serious driver support issues which are holding up a practical release users would want to test. After this is sorted out, we can put in the time needed to optimize for specific AMD GPUs, same as our recent efforts with Pascal.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:20 am

Goldorak Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:20 am
fatrobotsneedlove wrote:http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161101006610/en/Unity-Unveils-Tools-Advanced-Graphics-Performance-Introduces

Surprised no one posted this since yesterday.

Was hoping for news on adaptive sampling, integrated denoising, octane imager, render slave licenses, or OSL. But nope. More VR. :cry:

We'll share updates on specific features as soon as they are ready to release wth a known ETA. OSL in 3.1 requires more testing than anything we have done before. We are hiring an additional Maya developer. Subscriptions for the full version of Octane will allow at least one cheaper option for network rendering, but we are exploring others as well based on customer feedback.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ristoraven » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:29 pm

ristoraven Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:29 pm
What does it actually mean that "Octane is free in Unity"?

Why it is good idea to make this one plugin free to use, even commercially?

I hope that Unity hasn't bought exclusive rights, with the expense of UE4..
I have absolutely no intentions to move from UE4 to Unity. If this would be the case that Unity would be releasing awesome stuff with Octane rendered worlds and UE4 artists would be left crying at the bay.. Man, that would suck.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:13 pm

Goldorak Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:13 pm
ristoraven wrote:What does it actually mean that "Octane is free in Unity"?

Why it is good idea to make this one plugin free to use, even commercially?

I hope that Unity hasn't bought exclusive rights, with the expense of UE4..
I have absolutely no intentions to move from UE4 to Unity. If this would be the case that Unity would be releasing awesome stuff with Octane rendered worlds and UE4 artists would be left crying at the bay.. Man, that would suck.

UE4 plugin is being released as we always planned, but there are hard limits (as we found out the hard way) by that plugin layer. Unity is going to make changes to their side to enable Octane to seemlessy be part of Unity scene graph, and that will be important for real time feedback loop, especially beyond 3.x. By way of example, Arnold still supports C4D even though it ships with Maya :)
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ristoraven » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:27 pm

ristoraven Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:27 pm
Thanks, that is good to know. :)
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mbcburt » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:48 pm

mbcburt Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:48 pm
So just so I am clear. Octane will be free in Unity. So does that mean I don't need to purchase Octane, correct? I could essentially render my assets for free in Unity. Obviously if I wanted say for example use the plugin in 3ds max I would need to purchase that. But if I already have my assets I can load them into Unity and render for free. Is that correct?

Thanks
mbcburt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to General Discussion