textures from copnet?

Forums: textures from copnet?
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

textures from copnet?

Postby Ded_Mazai » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Ded_Mazai Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:01 pm
could we use an images from cop net as a texture in octane material?
with op:`/img/cop1/image` expression
Ded_Mazai
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: textures from copnet?

Postby juanjgon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:36 am

juanjgon Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:36 am
Nope, sorry, currently only texture from files are supported by the Octane plugin. I've in my TODO list make some research about this limitation, to know if I can have access to the RAW image data from the Houdini HDK to get the COP nodes texture data and feed the Octane texture node with it. I'll let you know if I find a way to support this feature.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby seriawp » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:22 pm

seriawp Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Today i find post in Houdini group, some girl transfer Cd color on uv to COP network.
But Octane still can't use texture from COP network? :| :| :|
seriawp
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 pm

juanjgon Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 pm
Yes, it can. In the Octane 3.06 plugin build we added the support of COP raster nodes in the Octane Texture Image nodes using the standard "op:" workflow.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby trogers » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 am

trogers Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 am
Hi Juanjo,

I've been struggling to get this feature to work in Octane. I was banging my head against the wall as using the COP texture path (the parent network path)in a Mantra Principled Shader works without issues, but was causing my geo to render as all black in Octane. I had been trying to use "op:/img/test_cop/" (the parent network path) in my Octane texture file path as I had in Mantra and resorted to writing you here to see if there was some trick I was missing. Half way through explaining the issue I decided to go back and try adding the final COP network node name to the end of the file path "op:/img/test_cop/colorcorrect1" and it worked!!

Out of curiosity, particularly given that the documentation around this level of functionality is non existent, is there a reason why the final node in the network needs to be included in the path? It would make things easier to tweak if we could just specify the parent network and then whatever node has the render flag set within that network would show as opposed to having to go back into the material and change the path to the node name if we modify the COP. Just a thought. I'm happy to see at least that this functionality exists and works with Octane!

Thanks in advance!
Win 10 / AMD 3970x / Nvidia 4090 + 2080 Ti / 128GB
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby galleon27 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:20 pm

galleon27 Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:20 pm
trogers wrote:Hi Juanjo,

I've been struggling to get this feature to work in Octane. I was banging my head against the wall as using the COP texture path (the parent network path)in a Mantra Principled Shader works without issues, but was causing my geo to render as all black in Octane. I had been trying to use "op:/img/test_cop/" (the parent network path) in my Octane texture file path as I had in Mantra and resorted to writing you here to see if there was some trick I was missing. Half way through explaining the issue I decided to go back and try adding the final COP network node name to the end of the file path "op:/img/test_cop/colorcorrect1" and it worked!!

Out of curiosity, particularly given that the documentation around this level of functionality is non existent, is there a reason why the final node in the network needs to be included in the path? It would make things easier to tweak if we could just specify the parent network and then whatever node has the render flag set within that network would show as opposed to having to go back into the material and change the path to the node name if we modify the COP. Just a thought. I'm happy to see at least that this functionality exists and works with Octane!

Thanks in advance!

Its a good practice to just add a null node at the end of the network and name it OUT or whatever and point it to that node so you don't have to modify your path every time you change something.
Win 10 64bit // GTX 4090 + GTX 3090 // 5900x // 64GB // SideFX Houdini // C4D
galleon27
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby trogers » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:26 pm

trogers Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:26 pm
Great suggestion, that makes sense. I’m fairly new to COPs so didn’t even think of using nulls :) Thanks for the tip!
Win 10 / AMD 3970x / Nvidia 4090 + 2080 Ti / 128GB
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm

juanjgon Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm
Yes, usually the COPs null output node is the workflow that I've always seen in these kinds of scenes.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini