VDB Experiments

Forums: VDB Experiments
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

VDB Experiments

Postby jasonsmart » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:18 pm

jasonsmart Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:18 pm
Here are a couple experiments I've been doing with octane and the vdb/volume workflow. I generated the smoke in Houdini, converted to vdb, and imported into C4D. Pardon the crappy lighting and camera angle on the animation.

A couple questions:

- Is there a way to add Bias, Gain, Output Min/Max controls in any of the parameters inside the Volume shaders. I can't figure out how to get control over those things.
- Is it possible to add noise to the shaders. I haven't been able to figure out where or if I'm able to add in noise to effect the look of the volume. I thought I could do this in Absorption or Scattering but I wasn't able to add in noise to those channels. Is there any way to do this?
- Does anyone know of any general tutorials for the volume object in Octane for C4D? I haven't been able to find any really good comprehensive ones explaining how it works. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] smoke_oct_v01.mp4 [ 9.02 MiB | Viewed 4195 times ]

smoke_soldier_v01_0048.jpg
jasonsmart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: VDB Experiments

Postby aoktar » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:23 pm

aoktar Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:23 pm
You can check post with video links: https://www.facebook.com/octaneforcinema4d
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jasonsmart » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:27 pm

jasonsmart Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:27 pm
Thanks for the reply ahmet!

I checked out those links, looked at your vdb scene file as well, still unclear as to whether or not I can use Noise to affect the VDB as well as controls for Bias, Gain, Clamping, etc.

Sorry if I'm missing something. I looked through your scene files and the links but I couldn't find any information specifically speaking to those types of controls.
jasonsmart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:42 pm

aoktar Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:42 pm
First parameters are density and "volume step lenght" in medium to play. Rest is intuitional.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Works In Progress