Is it possible to privately buy and sell your octane license

Forums: Is it possible to privately buy and sell your octane license
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Re: Is it possible to privately buy and sell your octane license

Postby Goldorak » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Goldorak Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:34 pm
dnashj33 wrote:Your policy of refusing to support secondary sales is very disappointing. I am currently transitioning from 3ds Max to Modo, and had a Thea Render license for GPU rendering (Max plugin). Since Thea has no plugin for Modo, I tentatively planned to go with Octane render (for Modo). Thea allows a user to sell/transfer the license, but the license cannot be resold after that. So, I was able to sell my license of Thea Render.

I have a friend who purchased the Octane Render bundle for Lightwave last year, but has since sold his seat of Lightwave. He wanted to focus on one application (Modo) and decided that he preferred VRay (for Modo). That effectively leaves him stuck with a $600 license of Octane he can no longer use. I asked him if he would be interested in selling me his (standalone) license, so he could get some of his investment back, and I could get a price break in the process. He said he couldn't, because of your policy. Seems very harsh, because I work for a 3D software company and we too allow secondary license sales/transfers.

It's just part of life. Sometimes, for various reasons, people are in a situation where they simply no longer plan to use a license they purchased, and perhaps they NEED to sell a license to pay some bills, and if they aren't using the software, it seems very callous for the software company to tell them...."No, you are stuck. Sorry pal." You may reply "but we get nothing out of it, so we aren't interested." That's not true at all. You stand to get new plugin revenue and future upgrade revenue out of that license. It is a dead license otherwise, and you'll never get another penny out of it.

This current policy is a dissuasive one when I deliberate as to whether I should make an investment in Octane or wait a while and see if another popular GPU renderer is ported to Modo. The compelling aspect to that render solution is that one license operates on all 3D applications they have plugin support for. So, I could use it with 3ds Max, Houdini, etc., without the need to purchase multiple plugins. It is also significantly less expensive than Octane. While Octane certainly has it's own merit, software purchases can eat persons budget quickly and that is why I personally try to wait for sales or sometimes buying a license 2nd hand...in order to mitigate the impact they have on our personal budgets.

We will consider reasonable plug-in swapping et al. on a case by case basis (we want to help all users on a budget when we can) but that is not the same as open the door to reselling. We have 3rd party plug-ins to consider in the mix. In any case, I would wait until we roll out subs. before making a final judgement on the cost/benefit of this model.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby waltondt » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:29 pm

waltondt Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:29 pm
Can we please get an update on estimated timing for student version release, school terms have started and I have projects I'm hoping to use octane with!
waltondt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby krky23 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:17 am

krky23 Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:17 am
waltondt wrote:Can we please get an update on estimated timing for student version release, school terms have started and I have projects I'm hoping to use octane with!

word! im also wondering what are they doing with that, any update?
krky23
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Resources and Sharing