OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.03.4

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.03.4
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.03.4

Postby abstrax » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:56 am

abstrax Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:56 am
Hi all,

This is another maintenance release of 3.03, fixing more issues. Beside the work on 3.10 we also have some smaller features in the works, which are not ready for release yet, hence the version number.

License tracking change since 3.02

To implement the floating licensing system we need to keep track of all Octane processes that use a specific license on the computer. This way we only release/deactivate a license when no Octane process is using that license anymore. Originally we used a third-party library for that. Unfortunately there were various issues with that and caused crashes during startup in various circumstances. To fix the problem we changed it to an internal (file based) system in version 3.02. Unfortunately this separates the license usage tracking of version 3.02 and higher from the usage tracking of 3.00, 3.01 and 3.01.1.

-> Please make sure that you only run either version 3.00, 3.01 and 3.01.1 at the same time or only version 3.02 or higher.

Experimental Pascal GPU support

We could narrow down the issue using the CUDA 8 RC toolkit and were able to work around it by doing a mixed CUDA 7.5/8 build for Pascal GPUs. For previous architectures we still use CUDA 7.5 only. This is all experimental and we haven't done any specific Pascal tweaks/optimizations yet and the performance isn't where we would expect it to be, but at least you can use your Pascal GPUs now.

Changes since version 3.03.3

• Added 16-bit export options to image save drop-down of the render viewport.
  • Overhauled the pane drag and drop behaviour and cleaned up the way how layouts are stored. Old layouts will be loaded correctly in 3.03.4, but a layout saved in 3.03.4 will not load correctly in older versions.
  • The minimum value for the power pin of the environment node is now 0.
  • When an environment node is created inside the primary environment pin, we don't create nodes for the visibility pins. If an environment node is created inside the visible environment pin, we don't create nodes for the environment medium pins.
  • Fixed incorrect fallback to the primary environment when the visible environment is black.
  • Fixed volume bounding box sometimes casting a shadow when using environment medium.
  • Fixed occasional kernel hang during the displacement intersection test, usually resulting in the that the OS kills the graphics driver and lots of CUDA error messages are dumped to the log.
  • Fixed infinite loop that sometimes occurs in scenes with lots of transparent surfaces.
  • Fixed ray-sphere intersection for rays starting inside the sphere.
  • Fixed occasional issue with PMC seeding resulting in inconsistent brightness in animations.
  • Fixed incorrect weighting of render layer passes in areas where blurry/transparent objects of the active layer lie in front of the inactive layer (see viewtopic.php?f=30&t=55903).
  • Fixed some baking artifacts caused by disagreement between geometric normals and smooth normals (see viewtopic.php?p=284803#p284803).
  • Fixed the tangent normal pass, which was only displaying perturbations along the U axis.
  • Fixed crash in deep pixel rendering when the film size is smaller than the maximum tile size (which is rounded up to a multiple of 4 in each dimension).
  • Fixed incorrect size of temporary tone map result buffers. This should help with tone mapping renderings with huge resolution.
  • Fixed swapped tone mapping behaviour when HDR image are saved via the viewport save drop-down.
  • Fixed crash when the LiveDB browser is open, deactivate a license and then load a new project.
  • Fixed incorrect initialization of panoramic camera nodes, breaking the reset camera feature.
  • Fixed step size of logarithmic sliders.
  • Fixed odd step sizes of linear sliders with high values.
  • Fixed the benchmark script.
  • Added octane.render.synchronousTonemap() to the Lua API.
  • Removed the module SDK from the Standalone archives. We will provide them via a separate download link.
  • The module default directory on windows is now %APPDATA%\Roaming\OctaneRender\modules.

OctaneRender Standalone downloads

Windows
- 64-bit commercial version (installer)
- 64-bit commercial version (ZIP archive)
- 64-bit demo version (installer)
- 64-bit demo version (ZIP archive)

Mac OS X
- 64-bit commercial version (DMG image)
- 64-bit demo version (DMG image)

Linux
- 64-bit commercial version (ZIP archive)
- 64-bit demo version (ZIP archive)

Photoshop workflow plugin download

You can download and install the plugin either via the Adobe Exchange platform or you can download it from the link below and manually install it.

Windows and Mac OS X
- Photoshop extension (v1.0.3) (ZXP archive)

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY NZ Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.03.4 [current 3.xx]

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:26 am

FrankPooleFloating Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:26 am
D'oh!... had been hoping for Aperture in Spherical and Cube Map Cameras... :cry: Er, thanks for the other stuff...
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:21 pm

abstrax Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:21 pm
FrankPooleFloating wrote:D'oh!... had been hoping for Aperture in Spherical and Cube Map Cameras... :cry: Er, thanks for the other stuff...

Yes, the last releases have been mostly about stability. It takes time to weed out all the bugs and nobody likes it when you can't continue on your project because something doesn't work as it should. We are also working on new features, but our highest priority is to get bug fixes released as soon as possible.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:34 pm

FrankPooleFloating Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:34 pm
Marcus, I'm taking that as you indeed plan to add camera controls to Spherical/Cube cams - though you did not explicitly say it. Confirmation of this would rock, if you are able to.

Even if they ended up having seams, because of DOF, I would be more than happy to clone that crap out in PS...
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:43 pm

abstrax Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:43 pm
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Marcus, I'm taking that as you indeed plan to add camera controls to Spherical/Cube cams - though you did not explicitly say it. Confirmation of this would rock, if you are able to.

Even if they ended up having seams, because of DOF, I would be more than happy to clone that crap out in PS...

We will definitely have a look at it.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:47 pm

FrankPooleFloating Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:47 pm
Cool. Although it is not a perfect example, also have a look at this, which is similar to the kinds of WebGL projects I want to use my DOF sphericals/cubes for: https://www.heroforge.com/ The Genres > Western BG in particular shows DOF best.
Last edited by FrankPooleFloating on Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:17 pm

coilbook Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:17 pm
Since version 2 after OCtane in 3ds max is done rendering all GPU cores still stay at 1000Mhz clocks like they are still running at 80% power. You have to close 3ds max for GPUs clocks to drop to low levels
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Mesh (.obj) caching issue? in Standalone 3.03.4

Postby andw » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:13 am

andw Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:13 am
There is still some strange mesh caching(?) behavior in this version:
after working with one scene (.ocs file) I open another scene file, which also contains Mesh node with the same path to .obj file as in current scene, but the contents of the .obj file is differ (another material names, another geometry) - in that case the mesh itself isn't reloaded and the Mesh node still has old set of material input pins, so all connections to other nodes are lost. The only workaround is close Octane? run it again and open desired .ocs file.
For clarification: I perform export to .obj file in the same location, before open another .ocs scene.
My workflow includes scripted exporting various scenes to .obj file with fixed name in the same location (temp folder on RAM drive), so now I should close and run Octane again for proper opening another .ocs scene.
Is this correct/desired behavior or an issue? The 2.x version works another way - it reloads all meshes in scene when opening another scene file :roll:
AMD R7-2700/64Gb/RTX2080Ti 11Gb + RTX2080 8Gb/Win10 Pro x64/nV driver 451.67/Poser10, DS4.12, Blender2.79, Octane 4.05 Standalone
> Using RAM Disk with Octane <
andw
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:26 pm

FrankPooleFloating Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:26 pm
I just made a new WebGL test using both near and far DOF spherical images (using inferior Lens Blur in PS), fading them in on top of each other in a hidden 2D Canvas (which you can map to any mesh uv - bg sphere in this case), and the effect is absolutely stunning.. but Lens Blur just doesn't cut it. Yeah, I want that Aperture in Spherical/Cube cameras more than ever. You guys would too, if you were seeing what I am seeing. Although, I am starting to think that I am possibly the only Octane user that does anything in WebGL.. which kinda blows my mind...
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby boeing727223 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:54 pm

boeing727223 Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:54 pm
Unable to resize windows: render viewport, nodegraph editor, node inspector, etc. I have the render viewport, and nodegraph editor (below the render viewport) and when I go to pull down the edges of either viewport I get no double arrow to pull the viewport.
boeing727223
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)