Is it possible to privately buy and sell your octane license

Forums: Is it possible to privately buy and sell your octane license
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Is it possible to privately buy and sell your octane license

Postby frusso21 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:19 am

frusso21 Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:19 am
I am a student and cannot afford Octane for Cinema 4D so I was wondering if it is possible to buy and sell licenses. If so, I'd like to ask any octane license owner who no longer needs octane if they would be willing to sell their license to me. Even if it is an old license (the version 1.2 student version that is offered is too old for me).

Do reply if you know whether buying and selling a license is possible or not and if you would like to sell me a license you no longer need.
frusso21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Is it possible to privately buy and sell your octane license

Postby frusso21 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:20 pm

frusso21 Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:20 pm
Bump?
frusso21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prehabitat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:48 pm

prehabitat Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:48 pm
My understanding is that it is not within the limitations of the EULA to buy/sell licences... YMMV in Europe...

a perpetual Licence is very cheap compared to a computer to run the software...
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:35 pm

Goldorak Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:35 pm
We don't support secondary sales, but we do plan to address your underlying issue in asking about this. We are working to provide sustainable and official options for new users on limited budgets to be fully supported with the latest commercial release.

We will start by rolling out inexpensive subscription plans ($10-$20/month), and explore even some sort of free option for a subset (TBD) of users. This will help get many artists, on any budget, official access to the latest version of Octane 3+ and the DCC plug-in(s) of their choice. This will be introduced shortly after the 3.0.x branch is final.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby KristofferMoth » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 am

KristofferMoth Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 am
So sorry for being pushy and impatient - but is this happening "soon" or are we Talking in months/years ? It would be so Nice to be able to use Octane again!
KristofferMoth
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:50 am

Goldorak Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:50 am
Assuming 3.0.3/4 is wrapped by the end of the month, Sept/October would be a likely release window, unless we run into something unexpected.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby dnashj33 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am

dnashj33 Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am
Your policy of refusing to support secondary sales is very disappointing. I am currently transitioning from 3ds Max to Modo, and had a Thea Render license for GPU rendering (Max plugin). Since Thea has no plugin for Modo, I tentatively planned to go with Octane render (for Modo). Thea allows a user to sell/transfer the license, but the license cannot be resold after that. So, I was able to sell my license of Thea Render.

I have a friend who purchased the Octane Render bundle for Lightwave last year, but has since sold his seat of Lightwave. He wanted to focus on one application (Modo) and decided that he preferred VRay (for Modo). That effectively leaves him stuck with a $600 license of Octane he can no longer use. I asked him if he would be interested in selling me his (standalone) license, so he could get some of his investment back, and I could get a price break in the process. He said he couldn't, because of your policy. Seems very harsh, because I work for a 3D software company and we too allow secondary license sales/transfers.

It's just part of life. Sometimes, for various reasons, people are in a situation where they simply no longer plan to use a license they purchased, and perhaps they NEED to sell a license to pay some bills, and if they aren't using the software, it seems very callous for the software company to tell them...."No, you are stuck. Sorry pal." You may reply "but we get nothing out of it, so we aren't interested." That's not true at all. You stand to get new plugin revenue and future upgrade revenue out of that license. It is a dead license otherwise, and you'll never get another penny out of it.

This current policy is a dissuasive one when I deliberate as to whether I should make an investment in Octane or wait a while and see if another popular GPU renderer is ported to Modo. The compelling aspect to that render solution is that one license operates on all 3D applications they have plugin support for. So, I could use it with 3ds Max, Houdini, etc., without the need to purchase multiple plugins. It is also significantly less expensive than Octane. While Octane certainly has it's own merit, software purchases can eat persons budget quickly and that is why I personally try to wait for sales or sometimes buying a license 2nd hand...in order to mitigate the impact they have on our personal budgets.
dnashj33
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frusso21 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:58 pm

frusso21 Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:58 pm
I think the arguments dnashj33 makes are very valid. I can't see a reason why selling you license of octane to a friend would be a bad thing. Perhaps Otoy should consider allowing this.
frusso21
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:07 pm

bepeg4d Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:07 pm
One reason is that the license is connected to the user id and pw, so if you sell your license, you have to sell also your credentials that is not a good practice for obvious reasons.
Hopefully with the new upcoming subscription method you could find the right solution.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby dnashj33 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:00 pm

dnashj33 Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:00 pm
bepeg4d wrote:One reason is that the license is connected to the user id and pw, so if you sell your license, you have to sell also your credentials that is not a good practice for obvious reasons.
Hopefully with the new upcoming subscription method you could find the right solution.
ciao beppe
Which is something an email from the two parties can easily rectify. It did with my Thea license
dnashj33
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Resources and Sharing