Octane/Brigade Integration? Octane Engine?

Forums: Octane/Brigade Integration? Octane Engine?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Octane/Brigade Integration? Octane Engine?

Postby Bendbox » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:33 pm

Bendbox Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:33 pm
So, when I read the news article posted several months ago regarding Octane Render 3, the cloud, and Octane/Brigade integration, I initially thought that meant that the rendering power of Brigade would be eventually coming to Octane – so ludicrous rendering speed in the Octane Render plug ins and stand alone. Upon looking at the article again, I noticed it said “OTOY is listening to the community and integrating Brigade’s revolutionary real-time path tracing technology into OctaneEngine”. I’m not 100% clear on what exactly Octane Engine is, but it sounds like a subscription service product, that is different from the Octane Render Product and it’s many plug ins.

I was hoping that someone from the Octane Render Team could comment on this and clarify – is the rendering speed of Brigade coming to Octane Render and it’s many plugins in a future release? Or, is Brigade being integrated into Octane Engine, and available via subscription as a different product apart from the plugins and standalone?
Win10x64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / 64g RAM / 2 x RTX 3090
Bendbox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane/Brigade Integration? Octane Engine?

Postby Bendbox » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:24 pm

Bendbox Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:24 pm
Just bumping this post up . . . it would be great if someone from the Octane Team could comment on this.
Bendbox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 am

Goldorak Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:17 am
Bendbox wrote:Just bumping this post up . . . it would be great if someone from the Octane Team could comment on this.

It will be in Octane 4 and exposed through subscriptions via OE (for plugins too). That's all the info we have to share for now. Interested in feedback, but focused on 3.1 at the moment.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby slepy8 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:46 pm

slepy8 Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:46 pm
The moment I started to save money for Octane 4.0 :)
slepy8
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Bendbox » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:52 pm

Bendbox Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:52 pm
Hi Goldorak,

Thank you for commenting on this. I know your team is focused on 3.1 at the moment, but my initial feedback and gut reaction is that having the ability to render with Octane quality and features with the speed I see on the latest video showcasing Brigade, is kind of like the Holy Grail of rendering. I can't imagine anyone without a smile on their face when they see long render times a thing of the past. And for animations . . . WOW.

As for a subscription plan, I personally don't have a problem with Otoy going towards a subscription based product vs. a one time payment if that is what you're talking about. Not sure if it is or not but . . . Adobe did this and I think it's great to always have the latest release and thus latest features on hand. My biggest wish here is that we'd be able to run Brigade/Octane on a personal system rather than have to run it over the internet based Cloud service. I do a ton of presentations in locations where getting internet access can sometimes be difficult because of security reasons . . . so if Octane/Brigade can be downloaded and run on a single machine that would be awesome.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Bendbox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Goldorak Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:06 pm
Bendbox wrote:Hi Goldorak,

Thank you for commenting on this. I know your team is focused on 3.1 at the moment, but my initial feedback and gut reaction is that having the ability to render with Octane quality and features with the speed I see on the latest video showcasing Brigade, is kind of like the Holy Grail of rendering. I can't imagine anyone without a smile on their face when they see long render times a thing of the past. And for animations . . . WOW.

As for a subscription plan, I personally don't have a problem with Otoy going towards a subscription based product vs. a one time payment if that is what you're talking about. Not sure if it is or not but . . . Adobe did this and I think it's great to always have the latest release and thus latest features on hand. My biggest wish here is that we'd be able to run Brigade/Octane on a personal system rather than have to run it over the internet based Cloud service. I do a ton of presentations in locations where getting internet access can sometimes be difficult because of security reasons . . . so if Octane/Brigade can be downloaded and run on a single machine that would be awesome.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Thank you for the feedback. We are still in the early stages here, but this is one feature we have decided to commit to for the post 3.x roadmap, and we decided to put that out there at GTC once we knew this was going to happen.

Brigade has, up to this point, been a very different product with its own internal development roadmap. Merging it with a mature product like Octane is a big undertaking, but we think it will be a big win for users once it is done.

We all want the same thing out of this, which is near real time path tracing (with as little noise as possible) for completely dynamic scenes which any game engine (or DCC app) can drive. It will be exciting to see this come together.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Bendbox » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Bendbox Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:50 pm
Goldorak wrote: It will be exciting to see this come together.

I couldn't agree more! :D It's a terrific time to be in any field that utilizes 3D visualization.
Bendbox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion