3.00 development update

Forums: 3.00 development update
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: 3.00 development update

Postby milanm » Mon May 16, 2016 1:04 am

milanm Mon May 16, 2016 1:04 am
Ok, just to make things perfectly clear... :)

V2 will continue to work with V2 license after release of V3 and after the end of May, right?
Is there a limit to how long we'll be able to use V2?

Regards
Milan
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer
macOS - Windows 7 - Cinema 4D R19.068 - GTX1070TI - GTX780
milanm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Mon May 16, 2016 1:10 am

abstrax Mon May 16, 2016 1:10 am
milanm wrote:Ok, just to make things perfectly clear... :)

V2 will continue to work with V2 license after release of V3 and after the end of May, right?

Yes, that's correct. You can also use v1 and v2 versions with a v3 license, and v1 and v2 versions with a v2 license.

Is there a limit to how long we'll be able to use V2?

There is no end planned for that.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby milanm » Mon May 16, 2016 1:36 am

milanm Mon May 16, 2016 1:36 am
Great!

Thanks for clarifying Marcus.

Regards
Milan
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer
macOS - Windows 7 - Cinema 4D R19.068 - GTX1070TI - GTX780
milanm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RobSteady » Mon May 16, 2016 8:55 am

RobSteady Mon May 16, 2016 8:55 am
Disappointed (again and again)
This is no trolling but the feeling that we have as customers with 11 standalone + plugin licenses.

It's not about the deadline, we don't need v3 right now. But you guys manage to bring down your credibility with every move you make.

If it was about the deadline: well, it's a deadline you made yourself. It's a deadline and you didn't deliver.
Trying to imagine what our clients would do if we say: sorry, we can't deliver. But hey, chill out, it's only a week. Never happened. Never happened in the studios I worked before.
Octane for 3ds Max v2.21.1 | i7-5930K | 32GB | 1 x GTX Titan Z + 2 x GTX 980 Ti
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Yambo » Mon May 16, 2016 9:04 am

Yambo Mon May 16, 2016 9:04 am
RobSteady wrote:Disappointed (again and again)
This is no trolling but the feeling that we have as customers with 11 standalone + plugin licenses.

It's not about the deadline, we don't need v3 right now. But you guys manage to bring down your credibility with every move you make.

If it was about the deadline: well, it's a deadline you made yourself. It's a deadline and you didn't deliver.
Trying to imagine what our clients would do if we say: sorry, we can't deliver. But hey, chill out, it's only a week. Never happened. Never happened in the studios I worked before.

This time i can't agree more.
I got a project with 3000$ budget to render on ORC, 2500 frames that takes too long on 4 of my 980tis
I thought i will wait for the 15th to start experiment with ORC and start rendering next week, but hi no, you decided that you are not ready yet.

This is fucking unprofessional.
4x 980ti EVGA | 5930k | Asus X99 E WS 3.1 | corsair 64GB RAM |SSD 500GB system + SSD 2TB working files + 6TB HDD storage WD |
Phanteks Enthoo Primo | 1600W EVGA T2 BLACK | It's the fastest 4x980ti build: http://goo.gl/hYp8e0 :)

https://yambo.me
Yambo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Mon May 16, 2016 9:30 am

Refracty Mon May 16, 2016 9:30 am
Hi Marcus,

the time for usage of 3.0 alpha and beta is too short.
If you release it on the 23rd of May (fingers crossed) and users can't use it after one week it will cause trouble.
I have convinced a client to by a bunch of standalone and plug in licenses and we are now using v.3.06 beta with Rhino. (We are using V.3.0 beta instead of V.2.5 because we need to build up a material database that works whithout trouble in V.3.0.)
They are willing to invest in upgrades but purchase processes in big companies take longer then a few days plus I need to install v.3.0 final on all machines.
We need at least one or two Months of grace period so that the transition is smooth and less painful.
Please consider this.
Thank you
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby whersmy » Mon May 16, 2016 10:13 am

whersmy Mon May 16, 2016 10:13 am
Yambo wrote:

I got a project with 3000$ budget to render on ORC, 2500 frames that takes too long on 4 of my 980tis
I thought i will wait for the 15th to start experiment with ORC and start rendering next week, but hi no, you decided that you are not ready yet.

Can`t agree with your rant. Good job on persuading a client for a 3k project, but you haven`t even tried out the new software yet. It`s called development update.
That`s like saying as a coffee farmer that you suddenly can deliver 3000 kilo`s of new beans instead of 300. Based on a machine you haven t made, haven`t (pre)-ordered yet, haven`t tried out yet, and is still in development phase because sometimes it`s not 100% working. :)
Disappointed? Credibility is not the issue here.
Thanks for the update otoy team!
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
mac pro g5| pentium g2030 iGPU| maximus extreme V| 2x gtx590 - 8gb - SSD - win7-x64- 1500W Silverstone|
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec
Dell G5 - 16GB - dgpu GTX1060 - TB3 egpu @ 1060 / RTX 4090

Octane Render experiments
whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Yambo » Mon May 16, 2016 10:47 am

Yambo Mon May 16, 2016 10:47 am
whersmy wrote:
Yambo wrote:

Can`t agree with your rant. Good job on persuading a client for a 3k project, but you haven`t even tried out the new software yet. It`s called development update.
That`s like saying as a coffee farmer that you suddenly can deliver 3000 kilo`s of new beans instead of 300. Based on a machine you haven t made, haven`t (pre)-ordered yet, haven`t tried out yet, and is still in development phase because sometimes it`s not 100% working. :)
Disappointed? Credibility is not the issue here.
Thanks for the update otoy team!

This is not like i don't got another solution. I have 12 cards available for rendering total. (mine & friends machines)
So the client will get his product, he is aware of all the limitations. i will just have to work more for that.

But when Otoy doing a presentation and declares on the 15th as a release day.
They got to take into consideration that clients will count on their word.

It is exactly like i will say to my client that a project will be ready on the 15th, and then on the 15th i'll say - oops! i need one more week.
They could say that it will be out in mid May or something, but nop, they said 15th - So make it happen to matter what it takes.
4x 980ti EVGA | 5930k | Asus X99 E WS 3.1 | corsair 64GB RAM |SSD 500GB system + SSD 2TB working files + 6TB HDD storage WD |
Phanteks Enthoo Primo | 1600W EVGA T2 BLACK | It's the fastest 4x980ti build: http://goo.gl/hYp8e0 :)

Yambo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon May 16, 2016 1:26 pm

bepeg4d Mon May 16, 2016 1:26 pm
Hi guys,
I can understand your disappointment, but you must consider that there is a big difference between a rendering studio work and a software house. You usually must satisfy the needs of only one client at a specific date, while a software must be good and free of bugs for all the clients at the same time... especially if you are going to ask money to the majority of them :roll:
With three operating system, tens of integrated plugin and a new cloud service, things could be a little more complicated of what you could think.
Considering that all v2 users can already take advantage of all v3 new features, excepting for ORC, what is less professional?
Delivering in time knowing that is not ready, or waiting a week more to polishing the things out before asking money to the majority of your clients?
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Yambo » Mon May 16, 2016 1:46 pm

Yambo Mon May 16, 2016 1:46 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Hi guys,
I can understand your disappointment, but you must consider that there is a big difference between a rendering studio work and a software house. You usually must satisfy the needs of only one client at a specific date, while a software must be good and free of bugs for all the clients at the same time... especially if you are going to ask money to the majority of them :roll:
With three operating system, tens of integrated plugin and a new cloud service, things could be a little more complicated of what you could think.
Considering that all v2 users can already take advantage of all v3 new features, excepting for ORC, what is less professional?
Delivering in time knowing that is not ready, or waiting a week more to polishing the things out before asking money to the majority of your clients?
ciao beppe

I can see your point, and even agree with the stuff you are saying. But it goes both directions, when you are a big company with three operating system, a lot of integrated plugins (etc etc), there are ton of people that count on your word and your responsibility is much bigger (even much bigger then a rendering studio that should provide product on time).

In the end of the day i'm a big fan of Octane, this render engine changed my professional life and took my work to the next level. The support for the c4d plugin is amazing and i can write so many good stuff about this great thing called Octane, but the point is that if a company announce on a release day and delay it in a week on the same day this is just not right.

The bottom line is that i'm going to lose money and time because this delay with ORC, I know - this is not Otoy fault, this is my fault that i thought that if they say 15th it will be 15th.

Yambo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements