Custom coloring of volume density?

Forums: Custom coloring of volume density?
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Custom coloring of volume density?

Postby Janmansilver » Sat May 14, 2016 9:39 am

Janmansilver Sat May 14, 2016 9:39 am
Hi there :-)

I would like to be able to custom color the density of a volume according to velocity values, but how? Think of it as a kind of high end engineering visualization. :-)

In Arnold one can simply use the Volume Sample RGB shader to "sample" vector values that then can be fed into the color of the density/scatter. I can't seem to figure this out with Octane?
https://support.solidangle.com/display/ ... Sample+RGB

Also, any news on supporting attribute values such as color with regards to shading? Are there any workarounds at the moment? Can the data be fed into the stand alone version, if it is a plugin limit?
Janmansilver
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Custom coloring of volume density?

Postby juanjgon » Sat May 14, 2016 10:29 am

juanjgon Sat May 14, 2016 10:29 am
Hi!

Well, you can now shade any volume grid using a ramp, but the main problem is that the velocity is a vector grid with three components, and the density is a scalar grid. Attached you can see how I can visualize the vel.y component using false colors, but the problem is that this is not the full velocity magnitude ... if you need this feature, I could add an option in the plugin to compute the velocity magnitude from the three velocity grids vector, to use them in the scalar grids.

Octane currently doesn't support custom geometry attributes. This is planned feature along the 3.x dev cycle, but I will try to find some workarounds if this feature is delayed.

-Juanjo
Attachments
image-001061.jpg
image-001062.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Janmansilver » Mon May 16, 2016 8:38 am

Janmansilver Mon May 16, 2016 8:38 am
That would be awesome, if it is not too much trouble, thanks :-)
Janmansilver
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu May 19, 2016 11:09 am

juanjgon Thu May 19, 2016 11:09 am
In the next build you will have some new parameters in the volume options tab to set an additional vector grid (the velocity or other) and use the vector magnitude values to fill the absorption, scattering or emission grids. I hope this helps.

-Juanjo
Attachments
image001416.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini