OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.00 alpha 10 [latest 3.xx]

Postby smicha » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:26 pm

smicha Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:26 pm
Marcus,

I join the questions on adaptive subdiv. Is there any chance we had the adaptive subdiv. levels working as a function of distance from an object (nearest instance) to a camera? But keeping same way of subdivision as it currently works without adaptive on? Being very honest I don'y see any application for current adaptive function, or I am missing something.
Attachments
adaptive.jpg
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:28 pm

Notiusweb Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:28 pm
abstrax wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:Hi Marcus,
Success with your selectable Tone-mapping option! :D :D
Although I now need to have my 16x display card used in rendering as the Active Tonemapper, I can in fact now have the 1x cards do their rendering part, without freeze-crash!
Thank you for your work on this!

Thanks for your feedback. And the thanks goes to Thomas who did the actual implementation :)

Thanks Thomas! :D
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nikostap » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:13 am

nikostap Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:13 am
haze wrote:
nikostap wrote:Thanks for alpha) vdb grid mapping work great, but can u add a multi-channel grid? To be able to select more than one or combine two(or more) channel as one. Thanks)Image
Because Futefx has two channels the smoke and fire, they need to connect. I know that this can be done in Houdini, but it is not very convenient.

How do you normally combine (or connect) smoke and fire from FumeFX in Houdini? Can I have a .hip please so I can understand what you mean?

Can you send me one of these VDB files? Thanks

Ok, i can do it tomorrow and then i will sent you.
nikostap
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby enricocerica » Sun May 01, 2016 9:04 am

enricocerica Sun May 01, 2016 9:04 am
This is a suggestion :

Maybe I missed something, if so, sorry for this post.

I think it would be very useful to have an option to switch on/off a light emission.
It would also be very useful to be able to group several light materials and to switch on/off the whole group.

What's your thought about that ?
Modeling system : I7 32GB Windows 10 & Fujitsu Celsius H720
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
http://www.myline.be
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Sun May 01, 2016 10:00 am

Refracty Sun May 01, 2016 10:00 am
We definately need geometry switches, varients and varient sets that can be triggered with custom short cuts.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sun May 01, 2016 4:53 pm

Notiusweb Sun May 01, 2016 4:53 pm
In the music DAW world you typically can assign different tracks to one effects channel so they all can be activated/modified simultaneously with the same effect. This is accomplished by having an effects id# per track that can be assigned to an effects channel of that same id#.

So, using this paradigm maybe if you had a system where each 'item' in the scene has a default effect id of 0, then you could change it to 1, for example, and in an effects channel for '1' you could have an emitter switch with respective parameters. That way if you modified effects channel 1, it would tweak all items in the scene having an id#1. So if you have a scene with 10 light bulbs, meaning 10 items with the typical tweakable diffuse/glossy/specular texture, you could assign the 1st 5 to effects id#1. And you would leave the last 5 at effects id#0. Then in some sort of effects post processing node, you set id#1 to have diffuse emitter black body with a power of 100%, and a general checkbox for enabled. Then when enabled, all the lights with id#1 (the first 5) would go on.

Another paradigm is to do nothing and have us all cry :cry:
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Sun May 01, 2016 10:06 pm

roeland Sun May 01, 2016 10:06 pm
rogerteddy wrote:I am not sure if this is a bug and if its a bug I am not sure if its related to plugin or core, so I post it in both places.

As you can see the attached Image there are some polys broken as more far away the model gets from the camera. The tyreprofile is made by displacement. I checked the mapping - everything is fine. I checked the texture, its a png with hiigh resolution of 8k + 2k. It just a part of the profile which is tiled around the tyre.

(image)

Any idea?

Kindly rog

Yes we have seen this kind of artefact before. But we haven't been able to fix it yet.

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby roeland » Mon May 02, 2016 1:19 am

roeland Mon May 02, 2016 1:19 am
smicha wrote:Marcus,

I join the questions on adaptive subdiv. Is there any chance we had the adaptive subdiv. levels working as a function of distance from an object (nearest instance) to a camera? But keeping same way of subdivision as it currently works without adaptive on? Being very honest I don'y see any application for current adaptive function, or I am missing something.

I think you're right, the current form doesn't work really well, we will improve that in one of the next releases.

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby funk » Tue May 03, 2016 1:21 am

funk Tue May 03, 2016 1:21 am
abstrax wrote:[*] Fixed facets in texture baking of smoothed surfaces.

I reported this when baking was first introduced and remember being told that nothing could be done about it (or somethign along those lines). Glad to see you found a solution.

On the topic of baking, I would like to bring a few things up. I was really looking forward to this feature, but testing it has left me disappointed.

* Baking seems to be quite slow
* Bakes at 16000 samples still end up being noisy - even on really simple stuff like baking the default daylight into a colored sphere on a plane.
* "Use Bake Position" does not bake the faces the camera can't see. All unseen faces are black. This has got to be a bug.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Tue May 03, 2016 3:27 am

mojave Tue May 03, 2016 3:27 am
Hi funk,

Thank you for your feedback.

funk wrote:* Baking seems to be quite slow

This statement is objectively subjective ;) so I'd like to know what you were expecting. But before, note that the samples per seconds you'll get depends on many factors and is not directly comparable to regular rendering. Also, when rendering a UV map, it's likely that most of your pixels will be populated with geometry, in contrast to other configurations where many rays might escape to the environment and some geometry might be hidden from the camera. This being said calculating a baking camera ray is more expensive than for a regular camera ray although that's a relatively small part of the overall pathtracing process.

Here I am attaching a sample scene that contains two equivalent render target setups so you can compare.
baking_comparison.orbx
Test baking scene
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 195 times

funk wrote:* Bakes at 16000 samples still end up being noisy - even on really simple stuff like baking the default daylight into a colored sphere on a plane.

We had some issues with noisy outputs in previous builds, but they seemed to have been fixed already, can you provide an example where this is happening using the latest build?

funk wrote:* "Use Bake Position" does not bake the faces the camera can't see. All unseen faces are black. This has got to be a bug.

I am not sure what is your setup and what you are expecting to get from enabling that parameter. Some time ago I posted an example about how this and other parameters affect to how the camera rays are generated for texture baking.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases