Network rendering weirdness....

Forums: Network rendering weirdness....
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

Network rendering weirdness....

Postby BTmonocle » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:28 pm

BTmonocle Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:28 pm
Hey everyone.
Hope someone can help. I've been using Octane over a network for the last few weeks without any problems. We have two Titans in our main workstation and one in an old i7 box which we've been using as the slave. Both on Windows 10.

I've installed a fourth Titan in the slave today and have been noticing some very strange things happening. When I first boot the machine, it shows the two cards in Octane Standalone, Octabench and I'm seeing two cards registered on the slave from the C4D picture viewer. But when I render to picture viewer, it says there are two cards (2/2) - but we're only getting the speeds of three cards total, not four. And there is no increase in render speeds at all. It's almost like the card isn't even plugged in. When I load up remote desktop again after the render - the slave machine seems to have lost a GPU. Only one Titan shows in Standalone and Octabench. Then If I restart a few times, the card appears again. Then if I fire up Network rendering again, the card is vanishes. Weirdly, even when Octane isn't seeing the second card, it is showing up fine in device manager.

We've got a good enough PSU in the system and it's only using an old 2700k cpu, so don't think it's power. The motherboard isn't amazing, but does have one x16 and one x8, which should be enough I think to drive the cards. Motherboard model is a Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 if it helps.
Latest version of Octane 3 alpha and C4D plugins installed.

Does this sound like a system thing? Maybe Windows? Maybe the motherboard is just old and tired? Maybe I'm hoping for to much from the motherboard and just need to upgrade?

If anyone else has had something similar I'd love to hear some solutions. Big deadline looming next Friday and I'm starting to get very sweaty palms about it.

Thanks!
1x 5960x (2x Titan X hybrid) / 1x i7 2700 (2x Titan X Hyrbrid)
BTmonocle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

[SOLVED] Re: Network rendering weirdness....

Postby BTmonocle » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:28 am

BTmonocle Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:28 am
Just in case anyone else comes across this. It turned out it was something to do with Windows Remote desktop. When accessing the slave remotely using RM it switches the display driver and only see's one card. Teamviewer appears to have done the trick. :D
1x 5960x (2x Titan X hybrid) / 1x i7 2700 (2x Titan X Hyrbrid)
BTmonocle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support