SubD new plugin

Forums: SubD new plugin
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Re: SubD new plugin

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Seekerfinder Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm
Thanks 5x3,
Unfortunately it's old SU models that need the makeover.
I'm still checking out C4D. It seems very powerful. It's also very feature rich. I like parametrics. I have not commited yet but it seems to ve the best combination of features, stability and learning curve. Will post over at the Octane for C4D forum to ask a few questions. Most people that use it love C4D seemingly. Sorry that it was not for you. Pity there's no one size fits all software. Then again, maybe that's a good thing...
Best,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:06 am

smicha Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:06 am
Seekerfinder wrote:Now I just need some magic solution to 'de-triangulate' some crappy old SU models that just won't render properly... Any ideas? Or is it just a case of remodelling in quads?

Seeker,

I agree with you in 100% - SU is not the tool for final refined work, not talking about animation at all. Since I've moved to Modo for final mesh modelling SU serves only as a great architectural tool with fantastic scaling and measuring and snapping system. The subd su plugin is just a news for me - no other app cannot match with modo in terms of its instant tab key for subd and it's so fast, crazy fast even with 5-6 levels of subd. I am more and more looking ar c4d for animations.

To remove nasty triangulated faces - open exported obj in modo - simply drag it to modo, go to select, diagonal, hit enter and remove the selected diagonals :) For smaller object you can manually select all diagonals - hit 2 for edge mode, hold shift and select all diagonals, delete them. Hit ctrl s to save obj with quads only. I'll do it all the time and then refine geometry in modo for rounded edges, bevels and uv.

Hope it helps

S
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:45 am

Seekerfinder Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:45 am
smicha wrote:
Seekerfinder wrote:Now I just need some magic solution to 'de-triangulate' some crappy old SU models that just won't render properly... Any ideas? Or is it just a case of remodelling in quads?

Seeker,

I agree with you in 100% - SU is not the tool for final refined work, not talking about animation at all. Since I've moved to Modo for final mesh modelling SU serves only as a great architectural tool with fantastic scaling and measuring and snapping system. The subd su plugin is just a news for me - no other app cannot match with modo in terms of its instant tab key for subd and it's so fast, crazy fast even with 5-6 levels of subd. I am more and more looking ar c4d for animations.

To remove nasty triangulated faces - open exported obj in modo - simply drag it to modo, go to select, diagonal, hit enter and remove the selected diagonals :) For smaller object you can manually select all diagonals - hit 2 for edge mode, hold shift and select all diagonals, delete them. Hit ctrl s to save obj with quads only. I'll do it all the time and then refine geometry in modo for rounded edges, bevels and uv.

Hope it helps

S

Thanks for the tip Smicha.

It's been hard for me to come to the realization that both my 3D modelling apps don't create great geometry. I'm married to Revit (happily for the most part) and I thought I was to SU but now I am looking for greener pastures. It's a tough one. I've been following Modo since 101 and I've always been impressed with them. But I've seen many complaints about stability and complexity of some workflows in Modo. While I am in my 'app browsing' phase, I am also looking at Lightwave. So here's where I am:
- Will play with C4D Lite since I have a license and look at training material until I'm ready to make the plunge (Maxon are likely to offer some kind of subscription model in 2016...);
- Will give Ligthwave a good look before making my 'next phase tool of choice' decision;
- Will probably keep using SU for some work (probably mainly entourage type stuff for archviz and for some point cloud stuff);
- Will dabble in Max and learn some basics - when I feel like it - just to get another skill, and because we have a license in the office... But it will be at leisure. If it grabs me, or we need it for some job, we'll adopt it.
- Weed out pointless or inefficient workflows / tools over time.

I find it fascinating to see where 3D apps are headed - there seems to be a real convergence of features across the board. Will all apps eventually be able to do everything? Well, almost everything...

Cheers,
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:25 pm

smicha Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:25 pm
I agree on stability of Modo. What I don't like is the way it handles copies and instances. Even the point cloud is not that great in some scenarios. And the snapping system for replicas just sucks. But for modelling a single geometry there is nothing better. That is why I am still with the Standalone. And with Zbursh that's all I need. But since what I've seen what Yam is doing in C4D - super stable and handles large scenes easily I think I'll be looking at C4D more often. Not for modelling, but for final composition and rendering in Octane.
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Seekerfinder Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:11 pm
Modo's always been great at modelling. But for only modelling in a pipeline something like Moi is very capable. We'd probably always have an architectural workflow (not just archviz but all the required documentation as well) and a product design workflow but the dream is to have it all in one package - at least for me. The fact that C4D has a camera solver built-in is a bonus and certainly something we would use.

Let me know your thoughts on getting into C4D, Smicha. Perhaps we should start a C4D explorer's thread...

Seeker
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to SketchUp