C4D - Really slow Live Viewer - Simple scene

Forums: C4D - Really slow Live Viewer - Simple scene
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

C4D - Really slow Live Viewer - Simple scene

Postby jsuarez388 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:53 pm

jsuarez388 Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:53 pm
I just purchased Octane for C4D. When I tried the demo the LV was fast, I could pan around a scene and it would refresh in real time with no problems. Now with the purchased version, everything seems to be going a lot slower.

If I start the LV I am not able to pan around the scene, change settings in materials, not even select a different object in the scene, this is really frustrating. And I only have two planes in the scene (floor and wall) and a Platonic with a glossy texture and two Octane Lights, I'm just trying to learn Octane.

Here are my render settings:
Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 4.17.35 PM.png
Current Octane Render Settings
Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 4.21.02 PM.png
C4D Render settings

Here's my wokstation info:

Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch Late 2013
2.3 GHz Intel Core I7
16 GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB - I know this is not the best for performance, but it performed well with the demo
OSX El Capitan 10.11.1- I was running Yosemite when I played around with the Demo.

*I have the macbook hooked up to two monitors, already tried just using one monitor and it didn't get any better*

Any help would be really appreciated. I don't know if updating to El Capitan is messing up my workflow, or if I am doing something wrong with the render settings, but before, I had reflections, blackbody emissions and a bunch of objects in the scene and I was getting a much better response from Octane, which is why I decided to buy it, even tho I know I don't have the best hardware for it.

Thanks!
My system specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
GeForce GTX 1070 x2
16GB Ram
Running Windows 10
Octane Render V4
jsuarez388
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: C4D - Really slow Live Viewer - Simple scene

Postby aoktar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:05 pm

aoktar Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:05 pm
if you're comparing same scenes on demo and commercial versions, they are same. But you should check gpu section and select priority options. You're one single and slow graphic card. Octane and viewport shares the power of same card. If you don't select priority so Octane will use most of execution time of gpu. Simple enough?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jsuarez388 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:46 pm

jsuarez388 Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:46 pm
aoktar wrote:if you're comparing same scenes on demo and commercial versions, they are same. But you should check gpu section and select priority options. You're one single and slow graphic card. Octane and viewport shares the power of same card. If you don't select priority so Octane will use most of execution time of gpu. Simple enough?

Thanks for your reply. Yes I know it's not a great Video Card. I actually went thru the settings and ticked 'Use pri' for my GPU and it started responding A LOT better. I am able to do everything as before.
My system specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
GeForce GTX 1070 x2
16GB Ram
Running Windows 10
Octane Render V4
jsuarez388
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:54 pm

aoktar Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:54 pm
jsuarez388 wrote:
aoktar wrote:if you're comparing same scenes on demo and commercial versions, they are same. But you should check gpu section and select priority options. You're one single and slow graphic card. Octane and viewport shares the power of same card. If you don't select priority so Octane will use most of execution time of gpu. Simple enough?

Thanks for your reply. Yes I know it's not a great Video Card. I actually went thru the settings and ticked 'Use pri' for my GPU and it started responding A LOT better. I am able to do everything as before.

It should be very slow against a 780/980. Also use priority=LOW. And i advice to take a look to this test version. It's better for speed.
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=50620
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jsuarez388 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:22 pm

jsuarez388 Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:22 pm
aoktar wrote:
jsuarez388 wrote:

It should be very slow against a 780/980. Also use priority=LOW. And i advice to take a look to this test version. It's better for speed.
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=50620

I've seen some workarounds with more GPU's on a macbook pro, do you know anything about this? would this be a solution? Or you think i'm best off just putting together a more powerful Windows machine?

My live preview is behaving fine, but i'm doing final renders at 5,000 samples and they are taking more than two hours
My system specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
GeForce GTX 1070 x2
16GB Ram
Running Windows 10
Octane Render V4
jsuarez388
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support