new features of OctaneRender™ 3.00 (updated 10.8.)

Forums: new features of OctaneRender™ 3.00 (updated 10.8.)
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: new features and changes of OctaneRender™ 3.00

Postby abstrax » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:47 pm

abstrax Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:47 pm
oguzbir wrote:Well done for all the efforts. You rock!! :)

A quick questions here.
Will there be displacement improvement or features in alpha or beta stage?

Don't know yet, but probably not during alpha or beta.

- I would really would love to see managing the displacement textures, with color correction or such. Maybe procedural textures might drive the displacement, No? .

The way how displacement works right now and probably in the future, is that it requires an image texture, since it needs to know the values of the texture at specific UV coordinates during compilation time so that it can do some precalculations. It also requires a very fast texture look up during ray traversal through displacement triangles. If it's slow, then displacement will crawl to a halt.

What we definitely still have planned is a way to bake procedural textures into images that then can be used for displacement, but I don't know when we get to it. Hopefully later this year. We made one change though: The 0-level of a displacement map is now defined in value space (i.e. 0..1) and not in absolute height anymore. This way you can set the 0-level to say 0.5 and fiddle around with the displacement height independently.

- And are there any speed and converging improvements using ies light or standard Octane lights? will there be one?

No, just general speed improvements due to the kernel work. PMC is also faster now in many scenes. Maybe it's worth giving it a try again, since it can deal much better with complicated lighting setups.

- Regarding 3dsMax plugin I would really appreciate you give us a roadmap to introduce more features. Like a scene Light lister, or Global Material override.

Only Jim can give you a roadmap here. All I can tell you is that he is working as fast as he can on his 3 plugins.

- What about Anisotropic reflections, Wire Texture to (acts like Polygon Side tex) use wire with renders? should we wait for them longer?

There is nothing planned here in the short term, but you can work around using bump maps and dirt textures.

- Rebuilding the core from groundup must have been a real challange. But I kind of waiting more and more of artistical feature. If you know what I mean.

It's not that we wanted to do this work, but we had no choice and had to it to allow other features.

- Lastly, I was amazed to see that volumetric object you posted with the announce of V3!
Link:
https://home.otoy.com/otoy-unveils-octa ... rimitives/
Here is two of them.
How is it possible to do this? is this a VDB object?

These were some experiments of a new type of primitive Andrey did at the beginning of the year. What you can't see in those pictures though is the insane amount of time he needed to generate those primitives (up to 10min). Since we couldn't find a good way to generate them fast enough, we didn't continue developing them and focused on gaseous volumetrics for now.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby prehabitat » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:06 pm

prehabitat Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:06 pm
funk wrote:Im still running Photoshop CS5.5 and the extension manager wasn't installing the extension. I unpacked the files manually and the EXR loader seems to be loading layered EXR files OK.

Will there be official support for pre CC PS?

Thank you funk!!!! :o :D I'll test this now..
Last edited by prehabitat on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prodviz » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:12 pm

prodviz Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:12 pm
Sorry, just to clarify, is that the 'procedural microfacet displacement primitives' which haven't been developed further?

I like the idea of baking the procedurals for displacement.
C4D and Lightwave already work with procedural displacement. I guess this must be Software dependent.

I would very much like this feature in Maya.

I have asked about this feature multiple times...which reminds me of a quote from The Shawshank Redemption:

Andy Dufresne: "Wow. It only took six years. From now on, I’ll write two letters a week, instead of one."

:D

Cheers.
prodviz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:30 pm

abstrax Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:30 pm
prodviz wrote:Sorry, just to clarify, is that the 'procedural microfacet displacement primitives' which haven't been developed further?

We never said anything about 'procedural microfacet displacement primitives'. The stuff Andrey had been working works totally different and is definitely not microfacets.

I like the idea of baking the procedurals for displacement.
C4D and Lightwave already work with procedural displacement. I guess this must be Software dependent.

I would very much like this feature in Maya.

I think the plugins that provide this feature, bake the procedurals into image textures using some functions, that are provided by the host application. And as far as I know, that works only for procedurals that are native to the host app.

I have asked about this feature multiple times...which reminds me of a quote from The Shawshank Redemption:

Andy Dufresne: "Wow. It only took six years. From now on, I’ll write two letters a week, instead of one."

:D

Cheers.

Here is the deal: If you can gift us 2 years of time, we give you those kind of features tomorrow... ;)
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby uncia » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:43 pm

uncia Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:43 pm
abstrax wrote:
prodviz wrote:Sorry, just to clarify, is that the 'procedural microfacet displacement primitives' which haven't been developed further?

We never said anything about 'procedural microfacet displacement primitives'....
Cool Story :D
https://home.otoy.com/otoy-unveils-octa ... -renderer/
SAN JOSE, Calif. – March 17, 2015 ...

OctaneRender 3 transforms ...bla-bla-bla... while introducing features never before seen in any production renderer, including volumetric light field primitives and procedural microfacet displacement primitives.

I need more popcorn. nothing personal ;)
uncia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:44 pm

glimpse Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:44 pm
abstrax wrote: Here is the deal: If you can gift us 2 years of time, we give you those kind of features tomorrow... ;)

what the ... Your talking here ??? =DDD..

Think developers do need a bit of slow down & good time of to have their bateries recharged =)
probably all this time spent working on v3 was pretty intense, :roll: but the end result is wonderful!
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prehabitat » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:00 pm

prehabitat Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:00 pm
prehabitat wrote:
funk wrote:Im still running Photoshop CS5.5 and the extension manager wasn't installing the extension. I unpacked the files manually and the EXR loader seems to be loading layered EXR files OK.

so it worked, I just dropped them right into the plugins folder; although the .msi didn't really explicitly state that's where they were supposed to go.

Otoy people: can we have confirmation that dropping the .8ba and .8bi's into the x64 plugin folder is all we need to do? you made it pretty clear in your post that the extension manager was used so that its all set up correctly.....

<file destination="$automate" file-type="plugin" platform="win" products="Photoshop64" source="win/x64/OctaneLayersSetup.8ba"/>
<file destination="$pluginsfolder/Format" file-type="plugin" platform="win" products="Photoshop64" source="win/x64/OtoyEXRFormat.8bi"/>
<file destination="$automate" file-type="plugin" platform="win" products="Photoshop64" source="win/x64/OctaneCompositingFormat.8bi"/>
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:04 pm

mojave Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:04 pm
prehabitat wrote:
prehabitat wrote:

so it worked, I just dropped them right into the plugins folder; although the .msi didn't really explicitly state that's where they were supposed to go.

Otoy people: can we have confirmation that dropping the .8ba and .8bi's into the x64 plugin folder is all we need to do? you made it pretty clear in your post that the extension manager was used so that its all set up correctly.....

<file destination="$automate" file-type="plugin" platform="win" products="Photoshop64" source="win/x64/OctaneLayersSetup.8ba"/>
<file destination="$pluginsfolder/Format" file-type="plugin" platform="win" products="Photoshop64" source="win/x64/OtoyEXRFormat.8bi"/>
<file destination="$automate" file-type="plugin" platform="win" products="Photoshop64" source="win/x64/OctaneCompositingFormat.8bi"/>

The Photoshop extension package's manifest tells the package manager versions we support, so that's the reason why it does not get installed on CS 5 and CS 6. Note that the package manager has been discontinued and is not supported in CC 2015, so won't work either.

We officially support just Photoshop CC onward at this point, but might support previous versions depending on user requests.

The OpenEXR plugin should work on previous versions (didn't do a comprehensive test though) but the cannot guarantee it for the other two.

Photoshop will find the plugins if they are anywhere within the Plug-ins directory, but again, if the package manager didn't install it is just because that version is not supported.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mojave » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:06 pm

mojave Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:06 pm
Jolbertoquini wrote:Excellent Guys,

For the plug Photoshop what about the ID? any help on that? but is already a big help. Thanks again. :D

Thank you!

What do you mean by ID? Are you referring to Photoshop versions?
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby oguzbir » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:33 pm

oguzbir Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:33 pm
abstrax Thank you for the detailed answers.
I get the problem with the volumetric solids. If it's not productive to hell with it..

Since you've already a lot things to cover after this release. I say Well Done team. :D
Rest & Recharge for the time being.
And I did notice some PMC performance increase. Kudos!...But will have to wait to test it in depth when the Max plugin is released cause all my scenes are there...

I do like to repeat asking for one more thing though.
All that the techy stuff is perfect to hear and see. I cannot even understand some of the techy bits.
But please oh please try to spend time on things that matters to us, the artists as well...
I dunno on top my head but.
Expand support for instancing ( More support for Railclone Pro instances)
More support for Hair
More support for Max external plugins (in my case 3dsmax)
And anything that could speed up our workflow.
In some cases little features to the workflow and compatibility comes more handy than having quicker renders.

Best,
My Portfolio
windows 10 Pro. |1070 + 1070 + 1070 + 1070 | i7 @4.5Ghz
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)