Compositing w Cube Maps + Animation

Forums: Compositing w Cube Maps + Animation
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Re: Compositing w Cube Maps + Animation

Postby bubimude » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:49 pm

bubimude Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:49 pm
Goldorak wrote:The 18K cube maps translate to 6144 x 3072 per eye in long/lat spherical pano format.

Is this aspect ratio significant at all? I'm curious how this resolution was figured out, since as you mentioned it uses more pixels than the cube map format.
bubimude

Postby Goldorak » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:20 pm

Goldorak Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:20 pm
bubimude wrote:
Goldorak wrote:The 18K cube maps translate to 6144 x 3072 per eye in long/lat spherical pano format.

Is this aspect ratio significant at all? I'm curious how this resolution was figured out, since as you mentioned it uses more pixels than the cube map format.

This was what Carmack told us was roughly equivalent to the cube map output at 18432x1536. Basically in both projections 1536 pixels covers a 90 a degree FOV.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby bubimude » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:32 pm

bubimude Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:32 pm
bubimude wrote:

Interesting. I suppose the idea of an aspect ratio is sort of meaningless when it comes to spherical/cubemap projections anyways. The new resolution does seem a lot more accurate than the 5k version I was testing before. Thanks!
bubimude

Postby bubimude » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:16 pm

bubimude Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:16 pm
I saw in the other discussion a breakdown of the frame durations we can use for 18k cubemaps in the new OrbX player. It was mentioned that the duration limitation had to do with RAM usage. It stands to reason that if we don't show the full 360 degrees we would be able to have a longer duration for our animations. However what if we don't want to limit ourselves to selecting which faces of the cubemap to render... if we pick just the front faces we don't have enough FOV, and if we pick everything but the back face we're not saving much space. If we use an alpha to cut out wherever we decide to limit the FOV will that give us gains in duration?
I'm thinking maybe figure out something at about 200 degrees where you have a full view wherever you turn your head, but if you actually turn your body you would see the edge of the matte. The downfall would be if the alpha actually adds more size per frame than it gains. On that note does adding black to the animation have the same effect as alpha since we're cutting down the number of pixels?
Let me know if anyone has tested this.
bubimude

Postby Goldorak » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Goldorak Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:39 pm
bubimude wrote:I saw in the other discussion a breakdown of the frame durations we can use for 18k cubemaps in the new OrbX player. It was mentioned that the duration limitation had to do with RAM usage. It stands to reason that if we don't show the full 360 degrees we would be able to have a longer duration for our animations. However what if we don't want to limit ourselves to selecting which faces of the cubemap to render... if we pick just the front faces we don't have enough FOV, and if we pick everything but the back face we're not saving much space. If we use an alpha to cut out wherever we decide to limit the FOV will that give us gains in duration?
I'm thinking maybe figure out something at about 200 degrees where you have a full view wherever you turn your head, but if you actually turn your body you would see the edge of the matte. The downfall would be if the alpha actually adds more size per frame than it gains. On that note does adding black to the animation have the same effect as alpha since we're cutting down the number of pixels?
Let me know if anyone has tested this.

There are many tricks you can use. We're working in getting this to stream from local storage so there is no limit on frames. I will post to the forums when and if we have made some progress.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby shrikeVFX » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:24 pm

shrikeVFX Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:24 pm
After having to construct and deconstruct ORBx 18k renders dozens of times I have finally created a Nuke gizmo that will do it easily.

I plan on evolving and updating this tool in the future. If something is broken or poorly planned or you have a feature idea, I'd like to hear the feedback.

http://www.nukepedia.com/gizmos/other/s ... vr-toolkit

Thanks
shrikeVFX

Previous

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion