ORBX viewer 2.0

Forums: ORBX viewer 2.0
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Re: ORBX viewer 2.0

Postby dominic.cerisano » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:36 pm

dominic.cerisano Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:36 pm
Is not using a .lua script file to serialize orbx scene tables for downloading in violation of Apple's no-script rules?
A downloaded orbx lua scene table file has to be interpreted before it can be accessed (it is executable code with embedded data).
Why not just use JSON, or even XML (orbxML?)

The iOS developer program agreement section 3.3.2 reads (in part) as follows:

An Application may not download or install executable code. Interpreted code may only be used in an Application if all scripts, code and interpreters are packaged in the Application and not downloaded.
dominic.cerisano

Postby 360precision » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:21 am

360precision Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:21 am
2.07 is now live in the UK store. The icon bug is now fixed so you can use as many different icons as you want. You just have to make sure the FOV you assign the icon does not overlap with other hotspots. For example:

Code: Select all

[30]       = { link = "Orange Aventador",  image  = "arrowglow.png" },
[75]       = { audio = "gallardo.wav", image  = "musicicon.png", fov=20 },
[200]    = { link = "Black Aventador", image  = "arrowglow.png" },

If you assign an FOV equal to order larger than 45 for the music icon the hotspot and icon overlaps and it goes bananas :)

How about some docs now :)

Matt
360precision
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Goldorak Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:00 pm
Hey Dominic. I want to make sure we convey to you and the community that we consider your time and energy valuable and productive here, and just want to keep things focused on immediate next steps. We're excited to see your app support ORBX scenes. Please be patient and see how we are working on developing this format further. There is a JSON scheme implementation for flat ORBX files that can support a good subset of what is in 2.00. This is an export option we are working on for 3rd party viewer apps. Note, there is not one type of ORBX media output - ORC spits out different versions based on author's intent and platform limitations of the client requesting the content from a URL. (e.g. shader versions, pos tracking, mesh support) .
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:11 pm

Goldorak Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:11 pm
dominic.cerisano wrote:Is not using a .lua script file to serialize orbx scene tables for downloading in violation of Apple's no-script rules?
A downloaded orbx lua scene table file has to be interpreted before it can be accessed (it is executable code with embedded data).
Why not just use JSON, or even XML (orbxML?)

The iOS developer program agreement section 3.3.2 reads (in part) as follows:

An Application may not download or install executable code. Interpreted code may only be used in an Application if all scripts, code and interpreters are packaged in the Application and not downloaded.

Up to a certain feature level, the entire scene is translatable into JSON. You could easily put a lua string inside a JSON table, but the lua itself in either case is a subset with strict limitations, and is never intended for loops/blocking code etc..

While you can write anything you want in a script, that doesn't make it valid within the scene schema used for public deployment of content. This is no different in Octane itself, where you can write whatever lua code you want in a node or global script on your local machine, but publishing this to users (which is being worked on) is going to be validated through a sandbox and pre-processor which is much more restricted, most likely defined through lua built into the app layer.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby kimusan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:22 pm

kimusan Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:22 pm
DominionXX wrote:
Goldorak wrote:Waiting on 2.0x update to show up on the Gear VR store with the fixes/API changes we made based on user feedback last week. Submitted it Friday.

The sample projects should be a good starting point for audio and navigation.

What about info on what format 60fps cubemap video needs to be encoded in ??? What resolution ??, etc.. I think a full fledged document on what ORBX 2.X brings to the table would be incredibly helpful.

I am taking a wild guess here, that the 60fps cubemap video support means a max of 300 or so 18432x1536 cubemaps (!) with a numerical suffix and some code with JSON to load them into memory. :shock:

I am eagerly awaiting the 2.0 docs and samples!

Cheers,
Kim
Last edited by kimusan on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimusan

Postby Goldorak » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Goldorak Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:54 pm
Yes, if you drop 001.jpg-300.jpg you can load an image sequence (in any format, including cube maps) as follows (can be EXR or PNG but they night take longer to load)

{"title":"MyCubeMapvideo_VR",
"author":" Goldorak",
"url:","*.jpg",
"loop":true,
"fps":60,
"scrub":0.1}

This will allow you to develop and test your content locally. We use ORC for 100+ frame 18K renders at scale, and further leverage the ORC render nodes to encode .OKX frames (OKX == device specific GPU image data specifically exported for an ORC supported target platform). This can be as high as 9 mins/frame for Gear VR compression compatible with Note 4 and later - which is longer than the render itself in some cases.

ORC generates a default JSON (you can edit it) that is included in an ORBX package along with all the frames for the job on completion. You can fetch it from a private URL, and even publish this URL to share with others. This way you can treat the render job a as a pure movie or navigable scene on its own right out of ORC.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby kimusan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:31 pm

kimusan Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:31 pm
Sweet Goldorak! Many thanks for posting that snippet of code and confirming my assumptions about the format.

Is the limit in animation length determined by the amount of data that can be held in RAM on the Note 4/Galaxy S6 etc for Gear VR ? If so what is it in terms of max number of frames?

The big challenge for us who are rendering with other engines will be computing time. From what I can understand we are talking about 28 times the amount of pixels per second for this compared to full HD at 30 fps. This makes for a nice incentive to change platform to cloud based GPU rendering but with a ton of assets and established workflow on other platforms this is not an easy choice.

Best regards,
Kim
kimusan

Postby Goldorak » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Goldorak Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:57 pm
kimusan wrote:Sweet Goldorak! Many thanks for posting that snippet of code and confirming my assumptions about the format.

Is the limit in animation length determined by the amount of data that can be held in RAM on the Note 4/Galaxy S6 etc for Gear VR ? If so what is it in terms of max number of frames?

The big challenge for us who are rendering with other engines will be computing time. From what I can understand we are talking about 28 times the amount of pixels per second for this compared to full HD at 30 fps. This makes for a nice incentive to change platform to cloud based GPU rendering but with a ton of assets and established workflow on other platforms this is not an easy choice.

Best regards,
Kim

I am working on getting streaming support via local storage on Gear VR, but right now, we are limited to what fits in RAM. That is roughly:

- 250 frames on Note 4
- 400 on S6,
- 800 on Note 5/S6+

On PC, in the 3.00 release we now in development, we can stream off disk at 120 fps (not the same data as Gear VR, but ORC/ORBX player handles this for you via a single URL that pulls down the right format). This will also have mesh layers be exposed in the scene system, which is useful with Octane 3 baking. in fact , the ORBX 3 player is pretty much meant to be released in tandem with Octane 3.

Next year, we plan to moving ORBX player past GL (e.g. Vulcan et al) in a version 4 release, and this is where more exotic output/playback options we have been working on can be leveraged for high end HMDs like CV1, PSVR and Vive.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby malcriado3d » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:33 am

malcriado3d Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:33 am
Hi guys,
simple question here, where can i find proper documentation for starter lua scripting? I would like to start experimenting with some interactivity, but since i don´t know lua, i´m a little lost here. Any directions are more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Francisco.
malcriado3d

Postby C360 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:16 pm

C360 Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:16 pm
Is there a way to limit the sound angle, setting the degrees a sound file should be heard, preferably fading out towards the edges?
-/-/-enri --- C360.NL
C360

PreviousNext

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion