ORBX viewer 2.0

Forums: ORBX viewer 2.0
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Re: ORBX viewer 2.0

Postby ristoraven » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:39 pm

ristoraven Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:39 pm
360precision wrote:Has anyone worked out how to get different icons for different links to work ?

Matt

Did you add your new icon to the scenes_list.lua too?

That's all I can figure why they doesn't work..
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 360precision » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:33 pm

360precision Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:33 pm
I have added all the files to the list. For whatever reason the player will only ever use icon loaded first.

Matt
360precision
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby regionfive » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:54 pm

regionfive Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:54 pm
I agree that the option to compile all this into a proper form in order to be distributed via online stores, is of course a must to have. That being said, I need to point out that UE4 / Unity developers have quite painful times, because they can't distribute their products as easily as this, and they need to go trough a serious certification steps with proper phone ID tagging before installing them. Even early state versions.. So, we are very fortunate developers / artists for having as easy way as we now have.. :)

that´s true.

@matt. I have the same problem. And furthermore, when I load your scene and jump back into mine, I have your arrow instead of my logo in my scene :lol:

Must be a bug then.
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:01 pm

Goldorak Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:01 pm
regionfive wrote:
I agree that the option to compile all this into a proper form in order to be distributed via online stores, is of course a must to have. That being said, I need to point out that UE4 / Unity developers have quite painful times, because they can't distribute their products as easily as this, and they need to go trough a serious certification steps with proper phone ID tagging before installing them. Even early state versions.. So, we are very fortunate developers / artists for having as easy way as we now have.. :)

that´s true.

@matt. I have the same problem. And furthermore, when I load your scene and jump back into mine, I have your arrow instead of my logo in my scene :lol:

Must be a bug then.

Yes. These and other bugs fixes are in 2.01 update we have submitted this week:

- Going back form a scene to the home menu fails in certain cases
- Gaze cursor doesn't release/reload between projects
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:16 pm

Goldorak Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:16 pm
dominic.cerisano wrote:That is an interesting demo.

Will you support stereo rollovers/thumbs? Here is an example of the glowing arrow included in the demo as an L/R side-by-side stereo rollover/thumb:

I shall be publishing the version of Holodeck this week which will be able to run these demos. The alpha stream already supports stereo thumbnails.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.standard3d.holodeck.v1

The overlays they can be video (e.g mp4), and they can even be video with stereo+alpha if you have the grayscale alpha beneath the RGB and set the filename tag to _TBLR. I would recommend creating your VR overlays in Octane itself, as pano spherical renders, but with a cropped FOV, say 60 degrees by 60 degrees. If you render a 60 deg. FOV at 1024x1024 per eye, it should exactly match the res of an 18K cube map. This way you can do MP4 video overlays as 2048x1024 stereo sbs @ 60 fps, or 2048 x 2048 stereo sbs, with alpha under RGB @ 60 fps. We may add a mode to automatically place alpha below RGB, but there are many post tools that can do this for you before saving video, even photoshop.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Goldorak » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:55 pm

Goldorak Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:55 pm
ristoraven wrote:
regionfive wrote:
I´d like to share my work in progress scene with you:
http://www.regionfive.de/downloads/Phoenix_VR_LUA.zip
tell me what you think.

Wow. Great.

John Carmack hinted at Oculus Connect2, that you could basically do a cubemap where is a "framed vision" with a stereo video screen. For example dr. Whos phonebooth. So you could look around and see the static interior of the booth and then "look outside" from the framed video screen, so you could travel around like this, with traditional stereo video making it appear to be live / 18k cubemap + audio creating the illusion that it all happens around you..

At this state of development, not a bad idea.

We have put a lot of thought into distribution.

Firstly, ORBX is going to be the preferred packaging step (zip/jar breaks things like abc/mp4 embedding which we need). You will be able to export ORBX media packages from a web UI on orc.otoy.com. When ORC does the rendering, we also do fast cube map compression and embedded JSON/lua support. We are going to be adding more publishing tools, including ways to customize the current ORBX app home screen on your phone.

Secondly, as opposed to needing to build/publish/export a platform specific app to play an ORBX media file, we're aiming for something closer to HTML/PDF/MP4 etc. where one or more player/viewers can load ORBX media from a URL or file and view it correctly. I'd like to see VLC support ORBX media file some day. We will absolutely support HTML5 playback in ORBX.js.

There is a lot of value in the Corona/Unity/UE4 app export model, but it also means you have to go through the app approval process every time you submit content, and we'd like to avoid doing that for cinematic VR experiences that should be as easy to publish as video or images on a webpage.

The entire ORBX player app on the Gear VR store is written in LuaJit for Android. If LuaJit were already on the platform, any app could bootstrap an ORBX player session using LuaJIT->orbx.lua + URI

When more platforms are done, we will explore having ORC publishing tools support exporting a self contained, platform specific, ORBX player bundle with the ORBX media file embedded in it.

On open platforms we have a better alternative to this, which is to allow any app or web page (including Carmack VR Script) to dependably launch ORBX media from a URI. We will start by having ORBX Player 3.00 fully support Android intents for this purpose, and probably drop LuaJit.so+ orbx.lua into the ORBX\plug-ins folder so that any app can load luajit (if they don't build it into their app) call ORBX.lua and bootstrap an ORBX media file, same as ORBX.js will do for a web page.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ristoraven » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:27 pm

ristoraven Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:27 pm
Ah yes, of course, the .orbx. It was somewhere at the back of my head that .orbx will be the thing that delivers stuff.

So, all in all, we have here the best situation and starting point to conquer the Metaverse that could be think of.

Lets keep in mind that what ever we do now with our 3D pack (whatever 3D pack it may be), everything can be exported later on to Unity or UE4... ...via .orbx. Then continue from there with Octane / ORC..

I'd say that this is a "can't loose situation".
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Goldorak Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:44 pm
ristoraven wrote:Ah yes, of course, the .orbx. It was somewhere at the back of my head that .orbx will be the thing that delivers stuff.

So, all in all, we have here the best situation and starting point to conquer the Metaverse that could be think of.

Lets keep in mind that what ever we do now with our 3D pack (whatever 3D pack it may be), everything can be exported later on to Unity or UE4... ...via .orbx. Then continue from there with Octane / ORC..

I'd say that this is a "can't loose situation".

One of the goals of the UE4 Octane plug-in is to give you the option of importing ORBX model/lighting packages coming out of Octane, bake it in UDK (with Octane 3 lighting of course!) and export to a UE4 app - then also publish as an X.IO live stream (just like the Octane 3 demo on the page, it will work in the browser). The X.IO live stream would play back inside ORBX player as a layer once we add support for that (hopefully in 3).

There are some ambitious things we want do with ORBX/Octane/UE4 integration beyond this point, using light fields and brigade and X.IO VR streaming.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ristoraven » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:11 pm

ristoraven Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:11 pm
Let's say two years from now, we could have an entire city, to where you just log in with a HMD ready laptop & browser & normal web connection (100 mb) or straight with GearVr and wifi and then we could wander around, meet people and the graphics would be beyond anything what Xbox or Playstation can deliver at the moment - real time pathtracing. The users pays some fee for time spent there. People would also do online shopping, would go on amazing journeys and adventures.. and people would pay some modest fee for all that activity...

In principle, if I were to make some adventure, it could be integrated into this "city" and people would pay small fee about it..

Is that far fetched and could I use that in a pitch if were to meet an investor and say this kind of "thing" is close in the horizon?
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:17 pm

ristoraven Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:17 pm
Additional thought.

Who's gonna build that city?

Hmm. Any ideas Otoy community? :)
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer