Gear VR vs. google Cardboard

Forums: Gear VR vs. google Cardboard
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Gear VR vs. google Cardboard

Postby v-cube » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:00 pm

v-cube Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:00 pm
Hello

I have been experimenting with 3d panoramic pictures lately and I am very excited about the new possibilities this technology can offer ( I am doing manly architectural renderings).
Since I do not own a samsung s6 or note 4, I started with the google cardboard HMD and also tried a more sophisticated HMD from freefly (https://www.freeflyvr.com/) . While I am impressed by the technologie in general, I noticed a few things that did not work very well and the most problematic seems to be the vast distortion of vertical lines, especially noticeable e.g. in interiors with high windows or alike.

I guess that this distortion is caused by the magnification effect of the lenses, which is higher with the freefly HMD than the cardboard.

Since I have never seen / used a Gear VR Headset I wonder if someone who has used both could tell me if this thing is a real "gamechanger" in this regard or basicly the same animal.

best regards

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Gear VR vs. google Cardboard

Postby 360precision » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:48 pm

360precision Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:48 pm
GearVR is lightyears ahead of a Google Cardboard, simples.

Matt
360precision
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:57 pm

v-cube Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:57 pm
360precision wrote:GearVR is lightyears ahead of a Google Cardboard, simples.

Matt

hello Matt,

sounds good, so no vertical line distorsion?

best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:34 pm

glimpse Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:34 pm
hi, Andreas,

what do You mean vertical distortion? because You render cube maps, not this pano format, there's no distortion anymore..however as far as I understand 3d effect is not so much pronounced if You look up & down..(though I might be wrong..) but I guess it the same with any format =)

experience wise, this GearVR is really cool! Your hands are free, some small knob in from does help to tweak the distance a bit, so You get sharper image if needed..& strap is really good.. never felt it might fall from my head =) 200Buck might not be cheap, but if You're looking to save & live in EU piece from Zeiss might be an option (~100$).

there will be even cheeper options like 50$, but I guess in the end You get what You pay.._ samsung is huge company that has tons of resources..I bet it's hard to get better experience for cheaper price..& about google card board - that's entry option.

Curious to try Vive, new Oculus gear - think those should be even better than GearVR, but again, price is in different category too & You need to lug Your PC or very very powerful portable workstation/gaming rig.. - so this GearVR is a bargain, especially if You have android phone =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 360precision » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:22 am

360precision Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:22 am
v-cube wrote:
360precision wrote:GearVR is lightyears ahead of a Google Cardboard, simples.

Matt

hello Matt,

sounds good, so no vertical line distorsion?

best

Andreas

Well I mainly produce photographic stereo panoramas and I'm looking at integrating these with 3D elements. For me, building in these panos are rendered in the GearVR perfectly without any distortion.

Matt
360precision
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:55 pm

v-cube Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:55 pm
Thank you all for the feedback,
Since I only own a note 3 , wich is not compatible with the gear vr I will probably wait a little longer to see what the next version of the Samsung gear vr in conjunction with the note 5 is capable of...
I only wish I could test drive this in advance, since it is quite a price tag ( phone+gear vr)

Best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion