Modo Plugin Roadmap

Forums: Modo Plugin Roadmap
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Modo Plugin Roadmap

Postby face_off » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:47 am

face_off Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:47 am
What is the estimation for the next release with the "updated" on the fly conversion of map ? ( roughness, luminous^^ etc..) it's one of the only thing that is bothering me, i would like to be able to skip override as much as i can ^^ at least for "simple" material
Hi - I can release the next version once you send me the scene as per my request in the other thread.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Rafael-Vallaperde » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Rafael-Vallaperde Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:27 pm
Hello Guys!

It's been a while, and only now i could try 901 version of the plugin , alongside with modo 901(SP1)

here are my impressions so far:

Pro:

It's snappier! feels more like it's a single app, very cool.

Cons:

Don't know how the engine is treating meshes automatically, but in the past i could move my lights and have fast feedback, now it stutters as i move my objects(with live geo on). this is bad.

Why is preview treated like 30%(or anything) or final render size? i see only downsides.follow me.

-in the past i could set preview mode and scale my window so i have the LEAST amount of pixels to render, hence will get fast noise cleaning and faster iterations when shading.
-also, didnt have to change resolution, it's just setting it and when it's done, uncheck preview. cool.

-now i have to think abut the size that my render needs to be and always end up some area outside of my window. Just wasting computation power.

Is there a specific reason for preview mode to change?

Cheers!
Rafael-Vallaperde
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RobSteady » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:38 pm

RobSteady Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:38 pm
Will the "zoom-to-mouse-pointer" be available in the next release?
Octane for 3ds Max v2.21.1 | i7-5930K | 32GB | 1 x GTX Titan Z + 2 x GTX 980 Ti
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:10 pm

face_off Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:10 pm
Don't know how the engine is treating meshes automatically, but in the past i could move my lights and have fast feedback, now it stutters as i move my objects(with live geo on). this is bad.
This shouldn't have changed. Do you have Use Modo Render Cache ON or OFF in the Octane Preferences?

Why is preview treated like 30%(or anything) or final render size? i see only downsides.follow me.
This is detailed in the manual at https://docs.otoy.com/#42Modo901%20Specifics. In summary - it is a percent set in the Octane Preferences.

Yes - because you have have more than one Octane viewport open at once, the plugin does not know which viewport to use as the resolution size. The new fit-to-preview window auto-zooming should more than compensate for this.

Will the "zoom-to-mouse-pointer" be available in the next release?
It was released a week or two ago....in 2.24.0.85

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby RobSteady » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:47 am

RobSteady Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:47 am
Great, thanks!
We're having an issue with the material node system; when you want to move a node it only responds when you cklick on it twice.
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:28 am

funk Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:28 am
Rafael-Vallaperde wrote:Why is preview treated like 30%(or anything) or final render size? i see only downsides.follow me.

-in the past i could set preview mode and scale my window so i have the LEAST amount of pixels to render, hence will get fast noise cleaning and faster iterations when shading.
-also, didnt have to change resolution, it's just setting it and when it's done, uncheck preview. cool.

-now i have to think abut the size that my render needs to be and always end up some area outside of my window. Just wasting computation power.

I agree. It was nicer in 801 where octane would automatically scale the resolution to fit the window when "preview" was enabled.

V-Ray just added this feature to their RT renderer too
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:36 am

funk Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:36 am
face_off wrote:
Yes - because you have have more than one Octane viewport open at once, the plugin does not know which viewport to use as the resolution size. The new fit-to-preview window auto-zooming should more than compensate for this.

I'm not sure what the initial reasoning was behind allowing more than 1 octane viewport, but I havent found any great use for it. In V-Ray, when a second viewport is opened, it becomes the main viewport and the first one is stopped with a message in the window: "VFB hidden or docked in another panel - dock VFB here"

vray_2_viewports.PNG

I would rather have 1 viewport available and get the autoscaling when "preview" is active like 801.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:05 am

face_off Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:05 am
We're having an issue with the material node system; when you want to move a node it only responds when you cklick on it twice.
Rob - I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you provide more details - and perhaps a screenshot?
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby RobSteady » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:35 pm

RobSteady Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:35 pm
Paul, sorry - I think it could be a Modo thing. On my workstation everything responds ok, on some of my colleagues we have to cklick twice.
We will reinstall Modo on those.
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Tharso » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm

Tharso Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm
funk wrote:
Rafael-Vallaperde wrote:Why is preview treated like 30%(or anything) or final render size? i see only downsides.follow me.

I agree. It was nicer in 801 where octane would automatically scale the resolution to fit the window when "preview" was enabled.

V-Ray just added this feature to their RT renderer too

+1
Tharso
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo