OVR and the Subscription Billing Model

Forums: OVR and the Subscription Billing Model
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

OVR and the Subscription Billing Model

Postby ssouth » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:05 pm

ssouth Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:05 pm
Hey folks,

Not sure where the OVR subscription Billing model is going. Got the e-mail about the trial extension and the ray-of-hope of an actual subscription based billing structure:

We'll be back in touch with you soon to let you know about OTOY's plans going forward with OctaneVR and subscriptions.

This was a few weeks ago, anyone have any news?

I am not in a position to pay $100 or more up front, every time a new major version comes out, but I could put aside a few dollars each month (You can get PS for $10 per month...) for an "always the latest thing" subscription...

Thanks for any Info you got.
Steve
ssouth
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OVR and the Subscription Billing Model

Postby Goldorak » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:09 am

Goldorak Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:09 am
We are going to explore subscription pricing.

If there is interest and demand for a pay as you go monthly fee to get the features we had in OVR, please give us feedback. We will likely be doing another RTM and OVR will come back in some form for this, but we would like to provide something for regular usage outside of the VR contest.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ssouth » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:24 pm

ssouth Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:24 pm
Goldorak wrote:We are going to explore subscription pricing.

If there is interest and demand for a pay as you go monthly fee to get the features we had in OVR, please give us feedback...

• Yes Please! (I don't like to "DEMAND" anything :) but how about: "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!") but here is my reason (I understand people got to make a buck.) right now I am not using Octane in a business, I am heading in that direction though and to continue my learning curve, I would like to continue to have access to the full range of the current capabilities of Octane, including watermark free output and no image size restrictions. (not a good display of professionalism if I am looking to get a paying customer.)
  • I currently have an Octane 1.X license with a chance to upgrade to 2.X for 99E but if I am unable to get the cash together before the release of 3.X where will I stand? I would rather just put the 10E I can spare per month in your pocket and get the latest Octane at my disposal all the time.
  • There is interest on my part for a pay as you go arrangement for another reason. A pay as I go model would allow me to test in the future a farm arrangement without a huge up-front outlay... ( it is relatively easy for me to beg and borrow the hardware needed, but the software is another story for me.)

Goldorak wrote:... We will likely be doing another RTM and OVR will come back in some form for this...

Awesome! Looking forward to this. (It's a great way to get that extra challenge to up my game.)

Steve
ssouth
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MaTtY631990 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:00 pm

MaTtY631990 Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:00 pm
Will it be possible for some V3 features to make it in as well.
MaTtY631990
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Goldorak Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:11 pm
MaTtY631990 wrote:Will it be possible for some V3 features to make it in as well.

I'd like to see v3 make into some future iteration of OVR. Maybe we offer latest V3/full OR as a more premium subscription? Feedback welcome. We'll be making a decision on this soon to accommodate OVR users who want to continue using it beyond the contests.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion