Nokia releases OZO, stereo 360 camera

Forums: Nokia releases OZO, stereo 360 camera
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Nokia releases OZO, stereo 360 camera

Postby ristoraven » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:36 pm

ristoraven Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:36 pm
http://company.nokia.com/en/news/press- ... t-creators

"OZO captures stereoscopic 3D video through eight (8) synchronized global shutter sensors and spatial audio through eight (8) integrated microphones. Software built for OZO enables real-time 3D viewing, with an innovative playback solution that removes the need to pre-assemble a panoramic image ­­- a time-consuming process with solutions currently in the marketplace."

Recorded material apparently can be played back in minutes.
Seems to be at the moment most advanced stereoscopic 360 camera.

Now, would integration with this OZO and Octane Render be something, like, awesome?
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Nokia releases OZO, stereo 360 camera

Postby ristoraven » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:08 pm

ristoraven Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:08 pm
So, basically just identical stereoscopic camera setup from OZO to Octane. Also, support to use OZOs mono 360 single image / frame as an environment within Octane, to get a proper illumination to the rendered objects.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:45 pm

Goldorak Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:45 pm
Let's see how good the stitching is. That's gonna make or break the usefulness of this device.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby glimpse » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:56 pm

glimpse Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:56 pm
ristoraven wrote:So, basically just identical stereoscopic camera setup from OZO to Octane. Also, support to use OZOs mono 360 single image / frame as an environment within Octane, to get a proper illumination to the rendered objects.

360 as environment? isn't that camera going to shoot LDR not HDR?
so how exactly illuminiation should work in that case?..
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:21 pm

ristoraven Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:21 pm
Goldorak wrote:Let's see how good the stitching is. That's gonna make or break the usefulness of this device.

Of course. At the moment it's impossible to say.

glimpse wrote:360 as environment? isn't that camera going to shoot LDR not HDR?
so how exactly illuminiation should work in that case?..

You're right.
HDR can be made in photoshop though, just make three different exposures, dim, normal and slightly over, and save it as HDR.. Resolution wise, was probably what I was thinking.. or something. Just to get the illumination to match exactly the environment, if I were to ad octane rendered objects to a OZO recorded space..
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:49 pm

ristoraven Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:49 pm
http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-nokias ... -and-cons/

"When it comes to playback though, Nokia has a unique playback solution which bypasses the need for the stitching process (which combines the multiple camera feeds into a seamless sphere). Nokia’s custom playback solution seems to fade dynamically between stereo pairs based on where the user is looking."
[..]
"The good news about this stitchless playback solution, which definitely has some pros and cons to be considered, is that it’s optional. Nokia told me that the video captured by Ozo can be stitched with traditional methods. And while the stitchless playback will likely be restricted to platforms that specially support it, traditionally rendered video from Ozo can be distributed on any platform."
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 360precision » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:44 am

360precision Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:44 am
ristoraven wrote:
You're right.
HDR can be made in photoshop though, just make three different exposures, dim, normal and slightly over, and save it as HDR.. Resolution wise, was probably what I was thinking.. or something. Just to get the illumination to match exactly the environment, if I were to ad octane rendered objects to a OZO recorded space..

You CANNOT make HDR like this, it's completely pointless and won't work, your renders will look like garbage. That's if the HDR app will actually output anything. I've not tried but I assume Photoshop will give you an error.

Matt
360precision
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:40 am

ristoraven Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:40 am
360precision wrote:
You CANNOT make HDR like this, it's completely pointless and won't work, your renders will look like garbage. That's if the HDR app will actually output anything. I've not tried but I assume Photoshop will give you an error.

Matt

So you haven't tried and only assume, and that constitutes a capslock fact?
All I know, is that HDR image is built from three different exposures that are merged together in Photoshop, or cameras inbuilt firmware does this automatically when it takes three images with different exposures on one push of a button, preferably from a remote controller so that the camera doesn't shake. I am not saying, that if you take one image / frame from the OZO feed, you would get the best HDR images from that, about 1MB image. I would, as I assume, get just a proper, or somewhat decent, illumination to the object what I would then add to OZO scene.

If this is impossible, okay, then lets figure out a working solution. I have no need to see capslocks to understand things.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:54 am

ristoraven Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:54 am
Then again, the OZOs price tag seems to be five figures, this is aimed to big studios only, and if there's no rental solutions from the get go, this topic is merely academic to me. So, hmm. Just have to wait and see.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:00 am

ristoraven Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:00 am
Would it be far fetched, if Samsung would pile up a rig, where is 6 camera stereo pairs, in 90 degree angles, that would generate 12 images cubemap video ?
Resolution would suddenly match with Otoys cubemaps?

Pricetag - four figures?

Would that be something?

edit: and it would also create automatically a good, clean panoramic HDR image as well, to be used with Octane render.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion