"The Infinite Museum" - By: robeastham

Forums: "The Infinite Museum" - By: robeastham

"The Infinite Museum" - By: robeastham

Postby OTOY [Bot] » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 am

OTOY [Bot] Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 am
The Infinite Museum

Submitted By: robeastham

If the viewer above does not display correctly for your device, you can load the viewer directly.

The Curator brings wonders and curiosities from the natural world for your viewing pleasure. The miniature, the mundane and the the marvellous are transformed and brought to life in fantastical detail. You’ll see things in ways that you’ve never seen them before.

Following on from his Mobile Jam submission The Curator has great pleasure in now providing you with an super high resolution experience only made possible by Otoy's OcataneVR.

To keep up with The Curator's plans, including details of a fully intreactive VR release for the Rift CV1 and Gear VR, please take some time to visit http://imnh.org. Thanks for taking an interest in The Curator's work!
OTOY [Bot]

Re: "The Infinite Museum" - By: robeastham

Postby robeastham » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:33 pm

robeastham Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:33 pm
Just wondering if anyone can test this one out for me?

I'm unsure if I've positioned all of the subjects close enough to the camera to trigger good stereopsis. Some of the exhibits like the skull I think give good stereo, but I think the crab claws could have been a bit nearer.

Still they all look pretty realistic - I guess they should do since there are approximately 15 million polygons in the scene. It was tricky to piece the scene together on my machine, had to use multiple objects grouped together in Octane standalone. I'm quite happy with the final result given it only took me a few days to learn OctaneVR and produce this.

It's funny I have the skull here on my desk staring back at me in real life and I think I prefer looking at it in VR, the quality of the light is so much better :-)
robeastham

Postby Seekerfinder » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:59 am

Seekerfinder Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:59 am
Hi Rob,
Did you use Agisoft for these?
Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby robeastham » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:23 pm

robeastham Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:23 pm
Yep it's Photoscan coupled with some custom scanning hardware I've built.
robeastham

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:07 am

Seekerfinder Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:07 am
robeastham wrote:Yep it's Photoscan coupled with some custom scanning hardware I've built.

Custom scanning hardware, hey? Sounds intriguing...
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby robeastham » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:21 am

robeastham Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:21 am
You can catch a glimpse of my scanning rig in action towards the end of my video submission for the Oculus Mobile VR Jam. There are also some stills of the inside of the automated turntable on the Devpost slideshow too (link below). My Mobile VR Jam app was called 'The Curator's Mini-Museum of Natural History' and it got through to the final of the competition:

http://vrjam.devpost.com/submissions/36861-the-curator-s-mini-museum-of-natural-history

Actually the turntable you can see in the video, which is based on a Raspberry Pi, controls the camera and also uploads images directly to an Amazon EC2 GPU instances for faster Photoscan processing. No PC required in the middle. The rig you see is v2, I'm refactoring the software and building a new improved v3 of the hardware at the moment. Bigger motor, bigger turntable and integrated LED panels to enclose the turntable for better lighting for some subjects.

I'm working on a more polished fully interactive VR version of the museum, an extension and refinement of what I submitted for the Jam. I'm aiming to be ready with a v1 later this year ahead of Christmas Gear VR and HTC Vive sales. Then plan to add more exhibits and polish in time for the Rift and Morpheus consumer launches early next year. I should have some more info and a beta version up on http://www.infinitemuseum.org soon.
robeastham

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Rikk The Gaijin Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:23 pm
Interesting. I was never able to get good data using a turntable, for some reason Photoscan doesn't recognize correctly the camera positions, even by making masks... :?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby robeastham » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:24 pm

robeastham Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:24 pm
I've found that the best solution with a turntable is to use a black background and then use the automatic masking feature provided by Photoscan. I'm getting pretty reliable results now. There was quite a lot of trial and error for a few months to start with though and I'm still having trouble with reflective subjects.

My next task is to incorporate focus stacking in to the whole pipeline. Depth of field becomes quite problematic for smaller subjects leaving the resulting models with out of focus patches on the resulting texture map. I've done a semi-manual test and I think it'll work. Hopefully have some really small things to show in VR soon :)
robeastham

Postby robeastham » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:22 am

robeastham Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:22 am
Also, if anyone is still following along, I'm planning to incorporate a de-lighting mechanism into the next version of my turntable.

I'd be eternally grateful if anyone here knows about such things and can point me in the right direction. There is some discussion over on Epic's UE4 forums about this:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthr ... -Photoscan

The Kite demo stuff that is being referenced in the thread above can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clakekAHQx0

Anyone know how I'd go about getting started with this sort of thing?

My current scanning rig is pretty much automated to the point of getting images in to Photoscan in the cloud on a large Amazon EC2 GPU instances (i.e. the turntable connects and uploads directly to the cloud and rotation and shots are automated via an program/app that I've written running on the embedded ARM board). I do plan to script the cloud/Agisoft part and beyond at some point too once I can afford to upgrade to Photoscan Pro for Python scripting.

I'm assuming removing shadows is usually done after model creation in Photoscan, but I'm also wondering if there is any way it can be done beforehand with 2D images if a chromeball and a greyball are used?

I'd like to try and automate the whole process as much as possible, so as few manual steps as possible. Idealy in the long term I want the whole thing to be pretty much automatic, with web app for delivering the assets that Photoscan spits out. I'm figuring that for the de-lighting part I'll probably try and use an image processing library and some code for any inverting transform processes required to negate shadows in the original texture map. I'll probably try and do this on the ARM based board that runs linux inside my turntable. Any pointers on automation also welcome as well as any info on the nuts and bolts on removing lighting from the texture. Thanks in advance!
robeastham

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:40 am

Rikk The Gaijin Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:40 am
The best way to remove the shadows from the scan is to recreate exactly the opposite lighting condition of the one you had when you shoot your photos. This is what the guys at Epic did for the Kite demo. If you can't do that, you can try manually removing them in Photoshop or using some other software, like Bitmap2Material (never tried it), but it's basically impossible to get completely rid of them. The best is to shoot in a controlled environment, but if you have to shoot outside, than there isn't much you can do. Maybe a cloudy day would be the best, because you won't get hard shadows, only ambient occlusion.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to OTOY & Oculus: Render the Metaverse Contest Submissions