Fushimi Inari forest - Metaverse entry

Forums: Fushimi Inari forest - Metaverse entry
Display your final art here...
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the top left corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Fushimi Inari forest - Metaverse entry

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 am
Hi everyone. I would like to show you my latest work, created for the Octane Render Metaverse VR contest.
I had the idea to recreate something that I love about Japan, and among other things, one is certainly the beautiful temples and shrines you can find all over the country, and particularly in Kyoto, the city where I live (recently awarded with Number One Best City in the World! 8-) )
One of my favorite is the Fushimi Inari-taisha, a beautiful shrine famous for it's hundreds red gates scattered on a green peach mountain.
I am lucky enough to live only 30 minutes by train from the place, so back in May, I grabbed my camera and went to take a bunch of pictures with the goal of using photogrammetry to get 3D models out of photos. Unfortunately, I was really naive thinking I could simply go there with just my camera and come home with good picture for that purpose, in fact after 5 hours of shooting, and over 3000 pictures taken, I went home and I found out that none of the picture was usable, due to subtle camera shacking... :x

It was time to get serious and get some equipment.

So I went on a shopping spree, and I purchased all sort of camera tools, remote shutter, ultra-extendable tripod, and... a Power Generator. I figured I would need a computer there to check carefully the photos, so I needed some serious power backup.

Here I am with all my equipment trying to look professional. :lol:

I spent about 11 hours there and shot more than 5000 pictures, and this time they were good, so at least the equipment I bought had its use.
Back home it took more than two weeks to process all the data, but the results were pretty good.

Below you can see the scan of the Ōkami statue, and some early Octane test

The more objects I was processing, the more I realized that, beside the scanned elements, I had to create a large portion of a forest, and there was no scan data to help me in that. I'm not a environment artist, this project was pretty much improvised, and I didn't really planned it properly. I had to create all the surrounding vegetation, and it had to look believable. So I made a library of assets, leaves, pebbles, rocks, shrubs, plants, moss, etc. and I used the awesome Phantom Scatter tool to instance them in my scene.

This is an example of the assets I made for my library. Every item has few variations, I didn't want to see the same object copy-pasted all over the place.

This is an early test to figure out how many object could been considered "enough" for a realistic look. Everything is 3D, even the moss is made by individual tiny tiny leaves.

And this is how the final ground looks like

For the trees I made three level of detail, hi-poly, low-poly and flat card for the background. For the hi-poly one I used 3D scanned bark and leaves, along with displacement to give the tree a more natural look, although in the final render I couldn't use the displacement due to performance issues.
Here's an early test for the trees.

Pretty much every object was meticulously recreated, down to the tiny details and I put a lot of effort to get the material to feel right.

Overall the scene is meant to look like the forest is extending over a vast area, even tho the real size is only few hundreds square meters.

For the technical nerds out there, the images were render using Path Tracing, at 1000 samples on a single GTX 980.
The final 18K stereo cubemap was rendered using Octane Render Cloud, and it took around 20 hours.
Since the scene relies heavily on instances, the total size is only 2 GB (all the textures are 2K and 4K).
The software used for this projects are, Maya, zBrush, Photoscan, Phantom Scatter, Photoshop and of course, Octane Render.
The overall project took nearly two months of sleepless nights and weekends stolen from my family.

Fun fact: the kanji you see in the gate in front of you are my name, my wife's name and my children's names. The rest of the kanji are a bunch of japanese proverbs and jokes wrote by my wife (or should I say, my waifu :lol: )

The final entry for the Metaverse VR competition can be previewed here: http://goo.gl/MqGbao

Here's few more renders. I hope you like it, and thank you for reading this. ;)

Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Fushimi Inari forest - Metaverse entry

Postby Chriz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:12 am

Chriz Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:12 am
:shock: *No words...* :o
http://www.C9W.de - Win10 - Dual E5 2620v3 - Display 1 GTX 1080 / Render 1 3090 RTX - 96 RAM - C4D MSA - C4D Plugin version: current - Standalone: current
Chriz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Yambo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:52 am

Yambo Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:52 am
omg dude thats crazy
4x 980ti EVGA | 5930k | Asus X99 E WS 3.1 | corsair 64GB RAM |SSD 500GB system + SSD 2TB working files + 6TB HDD storage WD |
Phanteks Enthoo Primo | 1600W EVGA T2 BLACK | It's the fastest 4x980ti build: http://goo.gl/hYp8e0 :)

https://yambo.me
Yambo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:01 am

glimpse Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:01 am
Wow, that's a propper doze of inspiration! Thanks for sharing & Good luck! (My bet we see one of the finalists here, but I might be wrong as I missed predictions in the first round badly =) anyway, insane amount of details!
Last edited by glimpse on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gordonrobb » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 am

gordonrobb Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 am
Wow, that looks amazing. I have no other adjectives :)

I've used that application you used for the statue a long time ago, and forgot all about it. What is it called again?
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:58 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:58 am
gordonrobb wrote:Wow, that looks amazing. I have no other adjectives :)
I've used that application you used for the statue a long time ago, and forgot all about it. What is it called again?

It's called Agisoft Photoscan ;)
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby whersmy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:44 am

whersmy Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:44 am
that is really insane! perfect scanning too
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
mac pro g5| pentium g2030 iGPU| maximus extreme V| 2x gtx590 - 8gb - SSD - win7-x64- 1500W Silverstone|
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec
Dell G5 - 16GB - dgpu GTX1060 - TB3 egpu @ 1060 / RTX 4090

Octane Render experiments
whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Phantom107 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Phantom107 Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:25 pm
Amazing work, I am very impressed.

I find the usage of Phantom Scatter extraordinarily well done. :o I'm going to use the pics to show off Phantom Scatter if you dont mind!

The diversity, the lighting, the materials for vegetation...WOW.
Phantom107
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:43 pm

bepeg4d Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:43 pm
Again Rikk, unbelievable :o
even more now that I know that it is only 2GB of scene :shock:
Thank you to share with us this masterpiece :D
I bow to you , master :)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d