3 VR questions

Forums: 3 VR questions
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Re: 3 VR questions

Postby Goldorak » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:59 pm

Goldorak Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:59 pm
e3di wrote:
- JSON and lua scene files that control navigation and interactivity
- hotspot video layers (with alpha), audio and image triggers over cube maps
- navigation hotspots between different cube maps, with optional video linking for smooth navigation
- 60 fps stereo cube map animations from packed/compressed ORBX
- background audio, including on first visit, revisits, etc.
- cube map lighting layers+info channels for multi-light and more
- URL loading of a project folder
- custom blend modes for layers

Nice, will this work on google cardboard or it is just for the GearVR at present?

Thanks

Neil

It will work on Cardboard too. We've already tested a prototype of this. The experience is still not comparable to the Gear VR.

These are the VR platforms in the ORBX media player roadmap once the Gear VR 2.0 apk is published:

Oculus PC/CV1 (mostly done)
Google Project Tango (w/ position tracking for pinned LF media AR etc. ~ 50% done; could possibly work on Shield devices)
Google Cardboard (50% done)
HTC Vive/SteamVR (just got the dev kit - ~25% done)

And after that:

Sony Morpheus ( 120 hz ORBX media native playback, e.g. without frame interpolation)
WebVR (Mozila/Chome/IE via ORBX.js refresh)
HoloLens (Windows 10 UAP refresh of ORBX media player required)
OSVR (may end up being supported via SteamVR)

We are working on ORBX media server module on PC that can use a Kinect or light house to provide additional pos tracking features for untethered devices like the Gear VR.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Refracty » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Refracty Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:38 pm
thanks for spreading some light on this.
looking forward to get my hands on orbx player v2 along octane 3 ☺
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:55 pm

v-cube Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:55 pm
sounds great Goldorak,

I have another question:

I experimented with equirectangular projected pictures the last days, mainly to avoid stitching errors which applied on my cube mapped pictures. Will holodeck support these in the future?

In general : what are the advantages / disadvantages of cube mapped panoramas vs. equirectangular ones?

thank you for any hints

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:00 am

Goldorak Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:00 am
v-cube wrote:sounds great Goldorak,

I have another question:

I experimented with equirectangular projected pictures the last days, mainly to avoid stitching errors which applied on my cube mapped pictures. Will holodeck support these in the future?

In general : what are the advantages / disadvantages of cube mapped panoramas vs. equirectangular ones?

thank you for any hints

Andreas

80% the size and 80% the render time. Also less distortion at poles, higher quality sampling when viewed on high density HMD like Gear VR.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gabrielefx » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:32 am

gabrielefx Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:32 am
Hi Goldorak

Do you already have the Microsoft Hololens?
I'd like to know how it blocks the light through the lenses

regards
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r-username » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:06 am

r-username Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:06 am
Goldorak wrote:
v-cube wrote:sounds great Goldorak,

I have another question:

thank you for any hints

Andreas

80% the size and 80% the render time. Also less distortion at poles, higher quality sampling when viewed on high density HMD like Gear VR.

Can you go one level deeper. I have been thinking about this issue for a while now.

Specific to Octane do the actual renders have less distortion and higher sampling? I think everyone agrees that HMD displays a cube map better.

The net is if its better to start with a equirectangular render and use a script to make the cube map, or vise versa, at least for my workflow in need both equirectangular and cube map images.
i7 960 - W7x64 - 12 GB - 2x GTX 780ti
http://www.startsimple.com/ - http://www.gigavr.com/
r-username
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pegot » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:04 pm

pegot Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:04 pm
I too use equirectangular images in my daily panoramic workflow. I do a lot of panoramic photography and equirectangular is the main format PTGui (and probably most other pano programs) stitches to. I find equirectangular easiest to edit and then convert to other projections or formats if necessary.

It would be great if Otoy could develop a converter to output an equirectangular image to the proper cub map format for ORBX. In this way we would probably then be able to use post-processing effects. Overall, it would be easier to edit the final image.

Pano2VR, another program I use for editing and displaying my panos, has numerous output options including cub maps, but it doesn't export them in the correct format required by ORBX. I was actually thinking of contacting developer to request this feature. It is possible to manually manipulate the standard cub map images the program currently exports to proper ORBX format (and a separate post exists explaining generally how to arrange and rotate the necessary slices). But I think to do this manually it very tedious and prone to inaccuracy.
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:47 am

Goldorak Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:47 am
Er is easier, but I can tell the difference between the renders. To get the same res as an 18K cube map - 26.5 MP, you need to render a 36 MP image. That is like rendering a whole other 5K image.

Octane can take any ER pano in the environment node and spit out a cube map, you just have to load each eye in one at a time. I've tried it and it works.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrederickD » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:21 pm

FrederickD Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:21 pm
That's one nice feature list, and great to see that many platforms supported !

including WebVR
Great ! i hope oculus will allow a webvr browser to support gearVR. or is this already possible ?

Orbx is here to stay for sure !

It would be great if Otoy could develop a converter to output an equirectangular image to the proper cub map format for ORBX.

I created just that using the compositor in blender, i will post it here this evening of tomorrow, still have to check a few things...
FrederickD

Previous

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion