Why the octane.exe launch slowly?

Forums: Why the octane.exe launch slowly?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Why the octane.exe launch slowly?

Postby butterhuang » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:23 pm

butterhuang Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:23 pm
It tooks nearly 10-20 seconds to launch the application every time. And sometime it authorsize failed and need to retry 20 seconds later.

But in my usage, we want to use octane render to build an automatic quick(30s per task) render farm, octane.exe needs to launch every task by other python script. So that wastes so much time. WIth this usage, we plan to buy 10+ licenses and much more in the furture.

Now, How to avoid the slow launch if I bought the license?

A little sorry about my Chinese English。
butterhuang

Re: Why the octane.exe launch slowly?

Postby abstrax » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:15 pm

abstrax Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:15 pm
butterhuang wrote:It tooks nearly 10-20 seconds to launch the application every time. And sometime it authorsize failed and need to retry 20 seconds later.

But in my usage, we want to use octane render to build an automatic quick(30s per task) render farm, octane.exe needs to launch every task by other python script. So that wastes so much time. WIth this usage, we plan to buy 10+ licenses and much more in the furture.

Are you using OctaneVR? If yes, then every time you launch Octane, some data is loaded from OctaneLive to allow rendering, which takes some time. In the regular Standalone the data is cached and doesn't need to be downloaded every time. I.e. the startup times should be quicker.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby butterhuang » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:11 am

butterhuang Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:11 am
abstrax wrote:
butterhuang wrote:It tooks nearly 10-20 seconds to launch the application every time. And sometime it authorsize failed and need to retry 20 seconds later.

Are you using OctaneVR? If yes, then every time you launch Octane, some data is loaded from OctaneLive to allow rendering, which takes some time. In the regular Standalone the data is cached and doesn't need to be downloaded every time. I.e. the startup times should be quicker.

what's the different between OctaneVR and regular Standalone?
butterhuang

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:03 pm

bepeg4d Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:03 pm
Hi,
exact the same except for a different licence system, only max 2 GPU and the absence of the net-rendering feature ;)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby abstrax » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:15 am

abstrax Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:15 am
butterhuang wrote:what's the different between OctaneVR and regular Standalone?

OctaneVR is free until end of July, because of that we added some limitations and restrictions: As Beppe mentioned you can use only up to 2 GPUs, no network rendering and can't use it without an Internet connection.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby butterhuang » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:03 am

butterhuang Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:03 am
abstrax wrote:

How much quicker if I use the regular standalone about the launch proccess?
butterhuang

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion