Phantom Photo Match [1.4.2] Get the 3D camera from a photo!

Forums: Phantom Photo Match [1.4.2] Get the 3D camera from a photo!
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Phantom Photo Match [WIP] Augmented Reality in Octane Render

Postby rappet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:16 pm

rappet Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:16 pm
pegot wrote:Phantom107, If you could get something like that too work it would be amazing additional functionality!

Fully agree
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r-username » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:25 pm

r-username Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:25 pm
Phantom107 wrote:Pegot, currently no, but I have an idea that might work. Nice suggestion, I will look into this post-release. :)

I would be interested in this, could you explain a bit more why it would be an issue? The FOV would not really change the placement or target of the camera.
i7 960 - W7x64 - 12 GB - 2x GTX 780ti
http://www.startsimple.com/ - http://www.gigavr.com/
r-username
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Phantom107 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Phantom107 Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:31 pm
R-username, the only problem that I foresee right now is that I will have to map the panorama in a certain way that it will look a normal photo, so without the curving straight lines that you see in panoramas. And I've never tried using a panorama camera in Octane before so I will have to look into it specifically. Rest assured though that the algorithm behind this is a ton more complicated than mapping a panorama around and taking a certain to match up the axis lines. I will look into it for 1.1.

The software runs nicely now, I'm busy writing a manual. :)
Phantom107
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:54 am

Seekerfinder Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:54 am
Good show Guus! Can't wait to try it.

Phantom107 wrote:By the way, I will give a license for free to every current Phantom Scatter user, which will last as long as the remainder of their current license. :!:

Cool, thanks.

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r-username » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:39 pm

r-username Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:39 pm
Phantom107 wrote:I will have to map the panorama in a certain way that it will look a normal photo

thanks for the details.
It almost seems that the obj model would need transform data and not the octane pano camera
i7 960 - W7x64 - 12 GB - 2x GTX 780ti
http://www.startsimple.com/ - http://www.gigavr.com/
r-username
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Phantom107 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:52 pm

Phantom107 Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:52 pm
BETA is a go! Mail me at [email protected] if you want to join in.
Phantom107
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Phantom Photo Match [BETA] Augmented reality in Octane!

Postby Phantom107 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:30 am

Phantom107 Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:30 am
*bump*

Got a bunch of submissions. Anyone else interested in testing?
Phantom107
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MOSFET » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:06 am

MOSFET Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:06 am
@Phantom: Out of curiosity, how was the GUI created?
MOSFET
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Phantom107 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:08 am

Phantom107 Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:08 am
Mosfet, hand coded it from scratch. I built a system I could use across my various software ideas.
Phantom107
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linvanchene » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:22 am

linvanchene Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:22 am
I have not been using OctaneRender much for the last months because all plugins I intend to use are either in public or closed beta or just announced. Therefore I am not in the position to participate in any testing...

Nevertheless I am looking very much forward to work more with both Phantom Scatter and Phantom Photo Match once OctaneRender reaches a production ready state.

Thank you for all your work providing advanced features for OctaneRender!

Phantom107 wrote: Octane Render has no support to load the camera settings from a file, so I came up with this method instead, and it works very fast. You simply put the programs alongside each other, click in PPM, paste in Octane, repeat until you have entered all 10 properties. (Position, Target, Up-vector and Horizontal FOV)

Why is it not possible to use the ORBX file format to export camera data from Phantom Photo Match? :?:

As far as I understood ORBX was supposed to be open source?

In the few experiments I was able to do it actually worked pretty well to export just the camera data as ORBX from OctaneRender standalone and then import it in the plugin.

Example:

50mm F1.4.orbx
ORBX camera data file created in OR standalone. 50mm F1.4
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

Exporting camera data as ORBX from the plugin and import in standalone did also work.

Side Note:

Using ORBX as a container would make sure that exactly those camera values are exported that are used by both OR standalone and the plugins to calculate the cameras based on the software specific formulas.

- - -

The main issue with camera data compatibility seems to be that not all CG software applications use the same reference system or variables for their camera data.

To phrase this differently the dimension variable "d" in the angle of view / focal lenght formula is not used in a consitent way in different CG software.

compare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view

When calculating focal lenght OctaneRender standalone uses horizontal field of view and some other software are using vertical field of view.

Example:
This means in practice if you export camera data from an OR plugin working with a vertical field of view formula focal lenght may be set to 50mm but when you import the data in standalone it will be 33mm.

Personally I prefer the focal lenght calculation of OctaneRender standalone that uses horizontal field of view as reference.

Exactly because of that I set up the camera in OctaneRender standalone and then export it as a ORBX file to load in the plugin.

- - -

In any case it seems that Photo Match will save me a lot of time when trying to match photographs with CG images.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion