How to use the lighting passes

Forums: How to use the lighting passes
Tutorials for OctaneRender - demonstrations and howto's.

Re: How to use the lighting passes

Postby whersmy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:26 pm

whersmy Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:26 pm
holy smokes that sounds awesome. :shock:

gonna try it right away, im in prodviz myself and this option can save a lot of time
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
mac pro g5| pentium g2030 iGPU| maximus extreme V| 2x gtx590 - 8gb - SSD - win7-x64- 1500W Silverstone|
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec
Dell G5 - 16GB - dgpu GTX1060 - TB3 egpu @ 1060 / RTX 4090

Octane Render experiments
whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aufwind » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:15 am

aufwind Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:15 am
Hi Stratified,

thanks very much for that feature.

Shoudn't all Layers combined be exactly the same as the beauty pass?
I get different results. I'm using Photoshop CS4. Am I doing something wrong?
I tried one of my own scenes where the difference is even greater.

Demo Scene, Composite Layers
light_layers_composite.jpg

Demo Scene, Beauty Pass
light_layers_beauty pass.jpg
aufwind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:31 pm

stratified Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:31 pm
aufwind wrote:Hi Stratified,

thanks very much for that feature.

Shoudn't all Layers combined be exactly the same as the beauty pass?
I get different results. I'm using Photoshop CS4. Am I doing something wrong?
I tried one of my own scenes where the difference is even greater.

Demo Scene, Composite Layers
light_layers_composite.jpg

Demo Scene, Beauty Pass
light_layers_beauty pass.jpg

Hi,

Yes, the addition of the light passes should look exactly the same as the original beauty pass (that is, before you start tweaking the lights).

Make sure everything is done in linear color space. Ideally, export the images from Octane as untonemapped exr (be careful, PS doesn't support multi-layer exr without the exr pro plugin so you have to export them as discrete files in that case). I think you can configure the color space in PS as well but I don't know how to do that.

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Synthercat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 am

Synthercat Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 am
Really good work there! I can't seem to be able to select two groups of light for example L1+L2 unless I change the settings (and start the rendering all over again)
Linux Mint 19.3 | GTX-1080Ti | AMD FX-8320 (OCed 4.4GHz) | 16GB RAM
Synthercat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:36 pm

stratified Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:36 pm
Yes, that is expected.

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ParviainenArk » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:07 am

ParviainenArk Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:07 am
Very clear explanation! I was wondering how it works together with the diffuse direct/indirect and reflection direct/indirect passes, but I get now that those are just an alternative way of compositing (since the light passes contain both diffuse and reflection in themselves). In some cases it would be nice to have the direct/indirect/refl components separated in the individual light passes as well... :)

I'm having a rather large problem with the Sunlight pass though. Beauty looks OK, all the other light passes look fine, but the Sunlight pass has loads of fireflies all over the place. What gives? Example render attached. I used GI clamp = 3.0 for this scene and it makes the fireflies disappear from the Beauty render. Sunlight is basically unusable though, and that means I can't use any of the other light passes either.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Beauty pass:
lobby_beauty.jpg

Sunlight pass:
lobby_sunlight.jpg
ParviainenArk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:49 pm

bepeg4d Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:49 pm
hi,
it's a bit hard to say what is the cause of so much noise without the scene for testing.
Have you only the physical sky or you have also added an environment HDRI in the Physical Sun properties?
What happen if you switch to Clay render mode?
The noise is still present?
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby ParviainenArk » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:40 am

ParviainenArk Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:40 am
Thanks for your reply bepeg4d!

The scene is lit with the Daylight environment, no custom HDRI is present. As mentioned, the fireflies are only apparent in the Sunlight pass, the main render looks absolutely fine. Clay rendering doesn't look much different since there is glass on the exterior windows which blocks all sunlight if Clay mode is enabled... :P Now that I think of it, it's probably worth testing to hide the window glass from the scene since there's really no visible reflection on the glass surface, and having glass on the windows only serves to slow down the rendering. It's a likely culprit for the fireflies, since the sunlight is pouring in through the glass.

For testing, I disabled the interior lights which makes the fireflies more apparent in the Beauty render as well. Likely the artifacts are just less visible when the composited render adds the contribution of the other light sources on top of the sunlight.

I'll update this thread after removing the glass from the windows, to see if that gets rid of the fireflies!
ParviainenArk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:47 am

stratified Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:47 am
ParviainenArk wrote:Thanks for your reply bepeg4d!

The scene is lit with the Daylight environment, no custom HDRI is present. As mentioned, the fireflies are only apparent in the Sunlight pass, the main render looks absolutely fine. Clay rendering doesn't look much different since there is glass on the exterior windows which blocks all sunlight if Clay mode is enabled... :P Now that I think of it, it's probably worth testing to hide the window glass from the scene since there's really no visible reflection on the glass surface, and having glass on the windows only serves to slow down the rendering. It's a likely culprit for the fireflies, since the sunlight is pouring in through the glass.

For testing, I disabled the interior lights which makes the fireflies more apparent in the Beauty render as well. Likely the artifacts are just less visible when the composited render adds the contribution of the other light sources on top of the sunlight.

I'll update this thread after removing the glass from the windows, to see if that gets rid of the fireflies!

Hi,

Removing the glass will get rid of the fireflies but it changes the lighting in your scene. You can try to make the glass a bit a rougher or set the caustic blur in the kernel node a bit higher.

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ParviainenArk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:30 am

ParviainenArk Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:30 am
Will try to adjust caustic blur, thanks Thomas!

Removing the glass did indeed reduce the fireflies, but as you said the lighting changes a bit.
ParviainenArk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials