Round one

Forums: Round one
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Round one

Postby ristoraven » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 pm

ristoraven Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 pm
First, congratulations to Chriz. Well earned victory, especially when kept in mind that you did this as "blind" without DK2 nor GearVR, only by a hunch. Well done :)

I for one have been thus far interested only in techniques. Advanced Placement for example is a brand new tool, so my entry was just that, different techniques combined first time all together. Next what has bugged me quite a bit are the scales of stuff in VR space and the correct IPD. Not that simple thing. There´s no youtube tutorials and no official instructions. At the moment these are off in all entries.. But, this is a first bus stop on the road to a whole new space and it looks awesome already. I think it would be a good idea if there would be some common set up "standard" for these and instructions how to set these up. Sure, it might give advantage to some degree to keep these to ones self and let everybody figure these out themselves, but, it seems that these judges are not that amazed about techniques, but an idea and that's how it is supposed to be. Technology is, like John Carmack says, just a canvas where ideas are painted on. I have never been able to sell technique to any customer, but and idea. So, no wonder my entry wasn't even on top ten list: it lacks an idea.

Well, now I think I have somewhat nailed these scales and techniques down to optimal configurations, so no more testing. For the next round(s), it´s time to get serious, time to get an idea.

I'll go with 2 meter tall real life scale reference model and model everything compared to this. Ipd is 95 mm. To me this gives most natural look and the ipd compensates the 2 meter tall figure down to about 178 cm average size person.. This works in 50 meter by 50 meter open area. I haven´t tested this on wide open area with huge mountains or stuff like that, so these scales apply only to this sort of medium sized space..

PS.
I think this contest is exactly at the right time when keeping in mind that CV1 will be launched early next year, where my real goal is. To be fully armed and operational then. So, if people keeps pushing now all their brain and artistic powers, there just might be some awesome Octane content when the VR actually hits the markets big time.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Round one

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:25 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:25 am
Wait, who won? Where is the thread about it? :?

EDIT: found it http://home.otoy.com/vr-competition/winners/
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:32 am

ristoraven Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:32 am
Yup,

I saw it from here:

http://home.otoy.com/render-the-metaver ... 1-winners/

There's also feedback to the winners from the judges.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:39 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:39 am
Congratulation to all the winners! 8-)
I will have to do my best to be competitive :?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby maxwood » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:02 am

maxwood Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:02 am
Congratulations to the winners! There seems to be a very clear theme of how the judges are interpreting Metaverse so at least that gives us some clues.
@maxwood | i7-5820K | 32GB | GTX 980
Freelance CG Generalist + Soon to be licensed customer
maxwood

Return to Competitions