Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta j [superseded]

Forums: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta j [superseded]
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta j

Postby archigrafix » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 am

archigrafix Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 am
TIG

take a look at my topic:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2414
You see in that topic that as a workaround, I do uncheck import of specular map (in the obj preference import). The problem is I cant do that with your plugin! So when I export from your plugin my materials are all specular and without any image maps.
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta j

Postby TIG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:33 am

TIG Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:33 am
andrear wrote:hi tig,
I saw that your obj exporter has not setting [dialog] while the SU one has it.
Is it possible to refer to the built-in exporter setting to export the obj to octane through your plugin?...
Andrea

No - I only wish you could :cry:

The initial idea was to have the Octane Exporter for SUp 'Pro' use the built-in OBJ-exporter, and then later on to develop an OBJ exporter for SUp 'Free'.

However, Octane requires certain fixed OBJ settings to work properly [meters, triangulation etc] and unexpectedly these settings were found to be inaccessible using the Ruby API [unlike the Collada export settings]...

So it was decided that both Pro and Free would both use a specially written Octane OBJ-exporter [built into the tool].

This is what's used - it has no options, they are all 'fixed' to match Octane's requirements. Note that a Ruby API based OBJ-exporter does have a limitation compared to the Pro built-in version - currently 'skewed' textures are not automatically 'made unique' [as with Pro's] and you must manually select faces with skewed textures and run the 'make unique material' context menu on them - although you can shortcut key this to speed it up...

A new beta will be released later this morning - please try that...
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Sketchup Exporter Beta j [superseded]

Postby archigrafix » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:47 pm

archigrafix Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:47 pm
yes TIG I use 1.022 and tried with every exporters, always the same problem. I also took a look at MTL file created via your plugin or directly from Sketchup but I see nothing special..? I import the same Obj/Mtl file in 2 different computers, and the results are totally different..! Really cant understand.
I recall you my PC causing problem is: WIN7 32bits 4Go Octane 1.022 470GTX
Then the only way to workaround the problem is by deselecting "specular" textures import in Octane, But it's not possible from your plugin. May you introduce that option?
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TIG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 pm

TIG Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 pm
archigrafix wrote:yes TIG I use 1.022 and tried with every exporters, always the same problem. I also took a look at MTL file created via your plugin or directly from Sketchup but I see nothing special..? I import the same Obj/Mtl file in 2 different computers, and the results are totally different..! Really cant understand.
I recall you my PC causing problem is: WIN7 32bits 4Go Octane 1.022 470GTX
Then the only way to workaround the problem is by deselecting "specular" textures import in Octane, But it's not possible from your plugin. May you introduce that option?

This is something for RS - Octane itself is in beta and so is this exporter - in English we say, "It's the blind leading the blind...". :roll:
TIG
TIG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby archigrafix » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 am

archigrafix Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 am
...hum so you think it's octane problem? It makes sens I'll contact Radiance, But how about Octane obj import options directly from your plugin? It would solve my problem. It doesnt seem an impossible task for you ;). And I think it could also serve other users.
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to SketchUp