OctaneRender 3 for AutoCAD [TEST and STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for AutoCAD [TEST and STABLE]
Autodesk AutoCAD (Integrated Plugin developed by OTOY, maintained by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for AutoCAD 2.20 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:00 am

face_off Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:00 am
I hope that it can handle the geometry to extract AEC objects

Hi Guillermo - I just took another look at this, and it /might/ be possible to extract geometry from AEC objects if you have MEP installed, but if not installed, the plugin would not run. But I need to do more research. Can you a) tell me...is MEP the only way to create AEC geometry/objects, and b) can you convert the AEC object to a Solid to render, and c) could you send me a scene just containing a single, simple AEC object.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for AutoCAD 2.22 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:06 am

face_off Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:06 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 2.22, so includes all Octane 2.21 and 2.22 changes (see Octane Standalone release notes for details)
- Added Light Passes (you can now assign a Light Pass to each Emitter, and then view each light pass as a Render Pass).
- Added Out-of-Core Textures to the Devices tab - where texturemaps can now be stored in CPU/Motherboard RAM if graphic card VRAM is full. Enabling this sets the RAM limit to your total RAM amount.
- Added "Cube Map" project type to the Spherical Camera
- You can now adjust the new Focal Length slider in the Thinlens Camera to adjust the Aperture

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for AutoCAD 2.20 [TEST]

Postby guillerodriguezv » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm

guillerodriguezv Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm
face_off wrote:
I hope that it can handle the geometry to extract AEC objects

Hi Guillermo - I just took another look at this, and it /might/ be possible to extract geometry from AEC objects if you have MEP installed, but if not installed, the plugin would not run. But I need to do more research. Can you a) tell me...is MEP the only way to create AEC geometry/objects, and b) can you convert the AEC object to a Solid to render, and c) could you send me a scene just containing a single, simple AEC object.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,
yes I had MEP installed;

A- No, depending of the job; I use MEP to create piping, wires, valves,etc and I use Architecture to create walls, windows, doors,etc and I think another CAD soft (from Autodesk)can do it but I normally used those (MEP & Architecture)

B- Yes those (MEP & Architecture) softwares gave you the option to export to Autocad (any version) and mostly it convert to solids and blocks.

C- I send 2 files;

1-AEC OBJECTS.dwg ; containing AEC objects.

ACAD-1-AEC OBJECTS.dwg ; the exported file from MEP to Autocad (solids and faces).

Hopes you can do it Paul,it would be the final touch for the plugin for a really fluid work.Anyway testing the new version of the plugin.

Best Regards

Guillermo
Attachments
FILES.rar
Original (AEC) and exported (solids and faces) Files
(1020.29 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Laptop- Win 10 64- 32 Gig GTX 880m 8 Gig - Desktop Win 10 64- 16 Gig GTX 980 ti 8 Gig
guillerodriguezv
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:54 am

face_off Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:54 am
Hi Guillermo

I have now been able to do (with your help - thank you) a reasonably thorough analysis on the use of AEC geometry in AutoCAD.

AutoCAD MEP and AutoCAD Architecture both allow the creation of AEC primitives (ie. Walls, etc). These primitives can be saved in a dwg file, and opened in the standard version of AutoCAD (and they will render in the standalone AutoCAD renderer). Some of these primitives appear to be able to be converted to Solids in the standard version of AutoCAD (and rendered in the Octane plugin), but I could not do this for all AEC primitive types.

The standard version of AutoCAD comes with an API for plugins (which the OctaneRender for AutoCAD plugin uses), which is able to access basic information on the AEC primitives (ie. name, primitive type, etc), but does NOT read AEC primitive geometry (so these primitives will not render in OctaneRender for AutoCAD).

The MEP and Architecture versions of AutoCAD are shipped with an additional API which provides access to more of the AEC primitive data, however based on the help files/documentation for these additional API's, there is no way to get the actual vertex positions, normals and UV for AEC geometry from these functions.

So unfortunately, my conclusion is that rendering of AEC primitives in OctaneRender for AutoCAD will not be possible unless Autodesk enhance the AutoCAD API. If you want to pursue this option, I suggest submitting a feature request to Autodesk to provide API access to AEC geometry data from the AutoCAD ObjectARC .NET API.

Hope that answers you question. Thanks for you help on this analysis, and sorry the answer wasn't what you were after. For time being, you will need to convert AEC objects to Solids prior to rendering with the Octane plugin.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby guillerodriguezv » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:27 pm

guillerodriguezv Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:27 pm
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for the support for trying AEC objects work with the plugin, I think at this point is better make a exclusive plugin for MEP or Architecture (just to make a name, it can be whatever *.dwg autodesk soft), maybe in some near future. :D

Best regards

Guillermo
Laptop- Win 10 64- 32 Gig GTX 880m 8 Gig - Desktop Win 10 64- 16 Gig GTX 980 ti 8 Gig
guillerodriguezv
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for AutoCAD 2.22.2 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:39 am

face_off Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:39 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 2.22.2. Refer to Octane 2.22.2 Standalone release notes for details.
- Pin changes to the Thin Lens and Panoramic camera stereo settings
- Added support for AutoCAD 2016 (uses the same installer as 2015)
- Removed support for AutoCAD 2013

IMPORTANT: In AutoCAD 2016 the plugin Setup window does not open docked to the main UI panel, and does not remember it's size. I believe that this is an AutoCAD bug, and have reported it to Autodesk.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:06 pm

face_off Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:06 pm
IMPORTANT: In AutoCAD 2016 the plugin Setup window does not open docked to the main UI panel, and does not remember it's size. I believe that this is an AutoCAD bug, and have reported it to Autodesk.
This issue is now resolved - so if you are using AutoCAD 2016, pls re-download and install the release at the top of this thread (the release number has not been changed).

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby guillerodriguezv » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:50 pm

guillerodriguezv Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:50 pm
Hi Paul,

The plugin does not load well with Autocad 2014. Whem autocad start no problem, but when you type the plugin command and start to load it. It only load the camera config in the palette window. Anyway I sent you some pics showing the problem.

Regards

Guillermo
Attachments
OCTANE ERROR-2.png
This when you hit render
OCTANE ERROR-1.png
This is what the plugin load
OCTANE ERROR.png
This is after you type the OCTANERENDER command
guillerodriguezv
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:57 pm

face_off Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:57 pm
Hi Guillermo - I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread to resolve the issue you were having.

- Fixed exception when reading camera pins from a saved scene.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby guillerodriguezv » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:03 pm

guillerodriguezv Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:03 pm
face_off wrote:Hi Guillermo - I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread to resolve the issue you were having.

- Fixed exception when reading camera pins from a saved scene.

Thanks

Paul

Thank you Paul

Regards

Guillermo
guillerodriguezv
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk AutoCAD