Metaverse competition questions

Forums: Metaverse competition questions
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Metaverse competition questions

Postby dotcommer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:25 pm

dotcommer Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:25 pm
I have a couple suggestions for everyone:

No post-effects sucks, but there is a workaround. See my thread here for adding bloom after you render your 360 latlong (using After Effects): viewtopic.php?p=225589#p225589
If you want to try out what your 360 render will look like in VR, you have a couple options even if you don't have a Gear VR headset. I would highly recommend getting a google cardboard headset, and downloading Kolor Eyes app (both for iOS and Android!) and the google cardboard app. You can add your pano to cardboard and view it in VR on the cardboard headset. The kolor eyes app can be used for viewing animated panos.
Download my free Octane resources!
Paper Lantern | Fresh Snow (C4D Only) | Keyboard Displacement Texture | Solar Panel Texture

Mac Pro (2012) | 2x6Core 3.06GHz | 64GB | 1 x Titan Black 6GB
Portfolio: http://www.deltawavefx.com
dotcommer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gabrielefx » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 pm

gabrielefx Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 pm
I think we can edit-author our panoramas with Kolor PanoTour Pro.
I don't understand what is the difference with Octane's last year version where we already created 360° renders.
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Goldorak Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:51 pm
gabrielefx wrote:I think we can edit-author our panoramas with Kolor PanoTour Pro.
I don't understand what is the difference with Octane's last year version where we already created 360° renders.

The difference is John Carmack's cube map rendering on Gear VR, which we added full support for in 2.23 (although it was partially in 2.21). The quality, when combined with Octane, is higher fidelity than anything you have seen in VR.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby linvanchene » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:29 pm

linvanchene Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:29 pm
Goldorak wrote:
ristoraven wrote:Hi,

Here´s few questions.

1. Can I use Daz3d or Poser figures?
- I have understood that they may have some whining about it if their product is used commercially, in game or something..?

1) From the best of my understanding this is purely an art competiton, and while there is a prize, it is not a commercial work. It is also a rendered image, so in that case, I would imagine you are OK

When DAZ 3D was announcing their 3d printing plans I checked with customer service how they are going to handle the areas of holographic computing and augmented reality applications with the current licensing system.

The answer I received to my ticket by official DAZ 3D support staff was:

"If the content (mesh, texture images, etc.) are included and distributed with the final product,
such as being embedded in a game, then the game developer license would be required.

If the holographic images are created via renders, no additional licensing would be required.

DAZ 3D currently has not plans to modify the Eula"
Hope that answers your questions.
Have a good day.
February 11, 2015, 16:36

This pretty much confirms what Goldorak wrote. 360 degree panoramas are just like any normal rendered 2d image and all content for which you purchase a license in the DAZ 3D store can be used based on the terms set up in the standard EULA.

http://www.daz3d.com/eula

In non legal words:
You can use any DAZ 3D content you purchased a license for to create 2d 360 degree panorama renders for commercial or non commercial use.

Nevertheless for any other applications that distribute 3d geometry or textures in protected form you will need a game license.
Game licenses do not cover all content at DAZ3D but are only valid for the specific artist that is mentioned in the specific game license.

Example:

"DAZ Originals" have listed as vendor: DAZ 3D.
http://www.daz3d.com/commercial-game-developer-license
http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license

DAZ Original content can be used in an unlimited number of projects.
Content of brokered artists may only be used in a limited number of projects based on the specific license description.

- - -
- - -

Still some questions remain:

I am not that sure about what light field volumes are:

•Have their scene selected to be rendered as a navigable light field volumes on orc.otoy.com

What exactly are light field volumes?

Are they based also on the prerendered 360 degree panorma image?

or

Does the contest participant need to give access to any 3d geometry, textures so Otoy can render the light field volume?

Even if the user has required a game licence from DAZ 3D to create holographic applications with "DAZ Originals" models the user is not allowed to hand over the 3d geometry, textures etc to 3rd parties in an unprotected form that allows direct access.

- - -
- - -

The following quote in the Full Contest Rules may be a bit missleading:

•Your Submission must be your original creation and owned one hundred percent (100%) by you;

If we are using licensed content we do NOT OWN the content. We just have purchased the LICENSE TO USE the content.

I would suggest to rephrase the quoted line to something like

Your Submission must be your original creation and or you need to have purchased all needed licenses for any used licensed content for the creation of 360 degree panorama images.

IF that is more like what you intended with the original quote.

- - -

However it is true that the "creation" - the resulting 2d image or rendering is owned 100% by the customer even if he used licensed content.

From that point of view the quote in question does not need to be changed.

Still it would make things more understandable if it would be stated in the full contest rules that participents are allowed to use licensed content. :!:

- - -
- - -

My motivation for this post is:
- A) to raise awareness of legal restrictions in place with the current content license systems in the area of holographic computing
- B) to motivate companies to talk to each other directly with the goal of finding working and easy to understand licensing solutions for their common customers in the area of holographic computing. :!:

Example:

If Otoy and DAZ 3D would agree to be mutually trusted partners then customers of DAZ3D would not have to worry about some of those licensing terms in question and could grant Otoy access to 3d geometry and textures for the purpose of contests, rendering light field volumes, rendering over the cloud etc.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:50 pm

ristoraven Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:50 pm
Good points linvanchene, this cleared up the image based renders.

With light field, the scene is packed to an orbx format that includes all the geometries and textures.. Light field baked scenes can be walked around and be interacted with (later with Brigade 3.0). So, in order to make light fields out from Daz, author needs to have a game licence..

Question is, does Daz provide licenses for a single scene?
Light field is a new kid on the block, so, this makes this a bit tricky issue at this point in development.

Well, I have decided not to use Daz nor any other downloaded meshes.. I take this as a challenge of my own and build everything from scratch my self. I´ll compile all the techniques I have been studying thus far. Haven´t done that yet, so, now is a good time to do so.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:40 pm

ristoraven Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:40 pm
cleoag wrote:How basic workflow looks for Blender plugin?

I cant find here how to render to gearVR cubemap.

Set the resolution to 12288 x 3072, select panoramic camera, check fov X 360 and fov Y 180, select "cube map", select "keep up right", select "side by side" then render, then watch a movie, do dishes, clean up the house. :)
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 pm

Goldorak Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 pm
ristoraven wrote:
cleoag wrote:How basic workflow looks for Blender plugin?

I cant find here how to render to gearVR cubemap.

Set the resolution to 12288 x 3072, select panoramic camera, check fov X 360 and fov Y 180, select "cube map", select "keep up right", select "side by side" then render, then watch a movie, do dishes, clean up the house. :)

Actually you will want use 18432x1536 resolution for stereo cube maps. For stereo spherical renders, the 12288 x 3072 resolution is correct, but you will be rendering 30% more pixels for a render that won't be as sharp as the lower megapixel cube map on the Gear VR.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ristoraven » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 pm

ristoraven Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 pm
Ah, ok,

However, will 12288 x 3072 cubic render be okay anyways in competition?

I think I run out of memory in 18k with the scene I have in mind.. I have only one gtx 780 ti.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:48 am

Goldorak Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:48 am
These are good points. When we support light field rendering, those too are 'renders' extending the image in X/YZ space in the same sense that video is an temporal extension of image rendering.

For the competition, the language is intended to mean that you have the rights to grant OTOY/Oculus to have your image publicly shown and used according to the content rules.

if you can use the 3rd party assets for rendering your own images and videos, I think this should extend to VR images and navigable render volumes as well, but best to clear that with the provider of these assets if you are not sure.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby linvanchene » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:56 am

linvanchene Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:56 am
Thanks for clearing up the "light field" question!

ristoraven wrote:
Question is, does Daz provide licenses for a single scene?

I also double checked with official support to make sure if both the commercial and the indie game developer license for "DAZ Originals" cover an unlimited number of "game" projects:

The answer is yes. Both licenses cover unlimited projects.
Please feel free to open a new ticket with any new questions you may have.
Thanks,
[...]
April 8, 2015, 14:47

Items classified as "DAZ Originals" can be used on an UNLIMITED number of projects.
"DAZ Originals" have listed DAZ3D as vendor on the product pages.
Those products also have the blue DAZ3D logo behind their name.
For DAZ Originals you need either a commercial or an indie game developer license.
http://www.daz3d.com/commercial-game-developer-license
http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license

- - -

There is a small selection of brokered artists who have their own indie and commercial game licenses.
Some of them allow their content only to be used on one SINGLE project, some allow THREE or FIVE.

http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/resu ... me+license

- - -

So in any case have a very close look which license terms apply and double check with the support staff of the content broker to be sure.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions