OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2.22.2 - 1.2 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2.22.2 - 1.2 [OBSOLETE]
Sub forum for plugin releases
Forum rules
Any bugs related to this plugin should be reported to the Bug Reports sub-forum.
Bugs related to Octane itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2.22.2 - 1.2 [OBSOLETE]

Postby JimStar » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:51 am

JimStar Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:51 am
Don't switch the current critical projects to this major version, as you may need to re-tune the scene for them.

Changes since the 1.1 version

• Fully reworked the LiveDB mehanizm (and user interface). Now you are able to import materials both from LiveDB and from LocalDB.
  • Implemented the new feature: exporting the material of chosen object into LocalDB, LiveDB or into ORBX package. See the new "Export Octane material" context menu item of the objects.
  • Fixed the Max 2014 installer bug.
  • Now the installer knows how to find the old versions of Max (2010-2012).

Fixes of the 1.1 version

• Fixed the Octane viewport bug (grain in some cases).
  • Improved the installer: now it knows how to find the 3ds Max Design install paths.

Changes of the 1.0 version

• New 2.22.2 engine.
    • Don't use the stereo mode anymore to disable stereo in the thin-lens camera, but the stereo output setting. This makes the stereo settings of the panoramic and thin-lens cameras consistent.
    • Added option "Pixel aspect ratio" to the thin-lens camera node, which allows you to render to a non-square pixel format (like NTSC or PAL).
    • Added option "Aperture aspect ratio" to the thin-lens camera node, which allows you to stretch/squash the DOF disc.
    • Added pin "Keep upright" to the panoramic camera node. If enabled, the up-vector is kept at (0, 1, 0).
    • Added option "Pano blackout latitude" to the panoramic camera node, which defines the minimum latitude (in spherical camera coordinates) at which the rendering is "blacked out", when stereo rendering is enabled. This is to avoid eye strain, when people try to look up or down at the poles.
  • Reworked the passes mehanizm:
    • Implemented the new feature of quickly choose and render any pass in OctaneRender viewport in live-render mode - see the new combobox in Octane viewport window. Exporting into Max framebuffer now exports all the passes chosen as render-elements if the current Octane viewport pass is beauty pass. If any other pass is chosen for rendering in Octane viewport - only this current pass will be exported to Max framebuffer.
    • Added all the missed passes to render elements.
    • Added the missed parameters of some passes to render elements settings (e.g. "AO max. samples", "AO alpha shadows" for "Ambient occlusion" pass, etc...).
    • Added the missed common paramters for info-passes: such as "Start after beauty", "Max. samples", "Distributed tracing", "Filter size" and "Tonemapping". You can find this settings-group inside the common kernel settings.
    • Added the "Object layer ID" parameter to Octane object properties. Now you can render Octane object layer masks in both the final render and in Octane viewport session.
    • Now you can assign the light pass numbers to emission nodes and render the mask passes in both the final render and in Octane viewport session.
    • Added "Render layer setup" group to common settings (you can set e.g. the current Octane layer to be rendered).
  • Multiprocessor calculations are now used in some parts of code to speedup the plugin. This work is just in the beginning, so more parts of the plugin will become multithreaded in future.
  • New installer is implemented. Now you can install the Octane plugin into all installed Max versions in one go. Standard uninstaller procedure is registered in Windows and is put into start menu together with the link to manual after installation.
  • Version string of the plugin from now on is structured. The version number contains two parts: "<engine version> - <plugin version>". This way the plugin is able to have its own independent version number which does not depend on the engine version it is linked with. This is the only way to have own roadmap for the plugin planned in the tracker.
  • Minor fixes and improvements...

DOWNLOAD
OctaneRender for 3ds Max 2.22.2 - 1.2 (21.4MB autoinstaller file)
OctaneRender for 3ds Max 2.22.2 - 1.2 DEMO (18.5MB autoinstaller file)

For network slave and daemon please download standalone installer here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=45529

Yours,
The OctaneRender® Team.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2.22.2 - 1.2 [TEST]

Postby bicket » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:56 am

bicket Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:56 am
Thnaks Jimstar

It works.
How to set Light pass with octane lights ?
PortFolio
4 x TITAN - Win 7 64 - Octane Rocks
bicket
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ka-ra » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:13 am

ka-ra Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:13 am
It seem that only emmitter mesh have the octane light pass..

But I aggre that it would be great if octan lights have this option
ka-ra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 am

JimStar Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 am
I'll add this in next versions...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby 3dgeeks » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:30 am

3dgeeks Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:30 am
Good stuff, its good to see some dev happening in Max plugin again.

Can you possibly put in a toggle to override all displacement as its one thing that often stops a scene from rendering.
3dgeeks
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bicket » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:30 am

bicket Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:30 am
Hi Jimstar

I think there's a bug somewhere in the plugins.
While rendering in octane viewport, my CPU is always in charge. CPU leak ?

That's not the case with version 2.16a. I downgrade to 2.16a.
PortFolio
4 x TITAN - Win 7 64 - Octane Rocks
bicket
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Elvissuperstar007 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Elvissuperstar007 Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:01 pm
Particle already working?
particles work?
I can not render rain
Attachments
50 %281%29.rar
(920.93 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
win 7 /64x C2Quad 6600 2.4/ Nvidia 9800 GX2 1gb 512 bit + Asus 480 GTX/ DDR2 8Gb / NVIDIA 460 GTX 2GB/2x NVIDIA 580 GTX 3GB
Page octane render " В Контакте " http://vkontakte.ru/club17913093
Elvissuperstar007
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby acc24ex » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:01 pm

acc24ex Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:01 pm
nice work so far, keep the updates coming..
- some new issues when using the liveDB great stuff - only it doesn't save the last open view, and it can only import one material, and then closes, meaning we cannot import quickly a few materials and have liveDB open all the time

- we should be able to keep it open while working on the scene, and a search option in LiveDB would be something new
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oguzbir » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:05 pm

oguzbir Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:05 pm
Hello JimStar,
Thank you for the updates. They really mean a lot.

I'd like to ask you about instancing support in ITOO's Railclone Pro, a parametric object creation plugin.
Instancing for Forest Pack Pro is supported by Octane and it works allmost great.

For the Railclone pro there is no instancing support. The problem occurs ex. repeating and deforming object on the path. That make massive use of gpu ram for meshes. Resulting unrenderable scenes.
http://docs.itoosoft.com/display/RAILCL ... patibility

I asked about this in itoo software licenced customers forum.
You can see our conversation below.
They say:
RailClone doesn't include instancing support for Octane. RC objects are rendered as an unique mesh object.
Unfortunately we cannot add instancing support without the collaboration of the Octane developers. Recently we have included in RailClone an interface for rendering engines, and we sent the documentation to the main companies. So, hopefully new engines will be supported in the future, although until now we got no reply from Otoy.(This is the last post, dated 2013)

I asked:
Hello I've been suffering from the instance support with the octane renderer.
As I see that this topic a bit outdated.(Last post was dated 2013) And octane has improved in some ways.. I wonder if any other attempt to make it work with Otoy, octane render ?
I'll be asking for the instance support in the octane licence owners forum. But I wanted to ask you first.

Itoo Admin replied
Hi, i'm afraid nothing has changed since my latest post. Octane doesn't include a SDK for third-party plugins, so the engine is completely closed for us.
Only Otoy can implement the instancing support for RailClone, in a similar way they did with Forest.

So if there is anything you or the team could do. I'd be grateful if you add that compatibility.
My Portfolio
windows 10 Pro. |1070 + 1070 + 1070 + 1070 | i7 @4.5Ghz
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:30 pm

JimStar Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:30 pm
bicket wrote:Hi Jimstar

I think there's a bug somewhere in the plugins.
While rendering in octane viewport, my CPU is always in charge. CPU leak ?

That's not the case with version 2.16a. I downgrade to 2.16a.

It's easy to write the program which does not use the CPU too much - it just should do nothing.;)
As I said in previous tread - there is a huge work for CPU when Octane viewport is opened due to the fact always HDR image is rendered in this mode in Max plugin instead of LDR. As I understand - this was made solely for the reason to be able to export the result from Octane viewport live-render mode into Max framebuffer (which understands HDR). And I said that I reckon this is not the right way for live-rendering which should be the fast mode. But in current state - it must recalculate the whole amount of float pixels (of a couple of hi-res images per second) one by one from HDR value into LDR. This is a lot of calculations for CPU. So, the previous versions (including 2.16a) did this job in one thread, slowing down the Octane viewport functionality.
The last versions do this job in few different threads using all the available cores. And the profiling shows that on hi-res images it calculates the framebuffer about 4 times faster on 4 cores machine (the more is resolution of live preview - the more linear is the gain).

So, if you don't like the CPU used during such a tough calculations - we have a two ways:
1. Disable the multithreading in Octane framebuffer calculations. This will slowdown the Octane viewport refreshing (FPS value, which reflects movements in your scene in real time) back.
2. Rework this mehanizm to function the way I described in previous thread: let the Octane live-preview do its work efficiently and fast, using LDR rendering mode and saving a lot of CPU calculations every second. And let the final-rendering mode to do the main work - render the beauty pass plus all the chosen passes in HDR mode (this mode does not need the fast realtime refresh, so it will not use the CPU that much even for HDR). But in this case - you will not be able to export the HDR result from Octane live-mode viewport into Max framebufffer "on the fly".
I like the second approach more, as it's more consistent and it reflects the proper division between real-time and non-realtime rendering modes.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Releases