cloud workstation on AWS

Forums: cloud workstation on AWS
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

cloud workstation on AWS

Postby ALIMAC » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:32 pm

ALIMAC Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:32 pm
Has anyone got this thing working prop?

A compelling proposition, but at the moment can't see it.

got the GUID and local IP but keep getting time out when I try and log on.

Also using the instance via RDC can't run octane as the CUDA drivers are out of date.

Come on what gives!
ALIMAC

Re: cloud workstation on AWS

Postby Goldorak » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:07 pm

Goldorak Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:07 pm
The AMIs are for devs. Use ORC.otoy.com and desktop.otoy.com. Sign up. You won't be disappointed.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ALIMAC » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:01 pm

ALIMAC Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:01 pm
You might want to put that in the description on the AWS!

ORC.otoy.com signed up. who do I have to buy a beer on here to get on the beta.

The desktop.otoy.com times out.

I'm try to justify switching from Vray which we use- its just too complicated for architects who want to just want to be able to push a button.

Unbiased is the way forward I hope.

We need a solution for all our Revit users, but we run a mixture of sketch up and MAX. The demo works well out of the box, but we need some heft to render our models which are massive.

Either I buy 100+ gtx 980, 1 for each workstation or a dedicated GPU cluster or a cloud solution.

Be good to be able to compare.

This is what we do www.Bennettsassociates.com
ALIMAC

Postby glimpse » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:25 pm

glimpse Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:25 pm
ALIMAC wrote:
ORC.otoy.com signed up. who do I have to buy a beer on here to get on the beta.

The desktop.otoy.com times out.

I'm try to justify switching from Vray which we use- its just too complicated for architects who want to just want to be able to push a button.

Unbiased is the way forward I hope.

We need a solution for all our Revit users, but we run a mixture of sketch up and MAX. The demo works well out of the box, but we need some heft to render our models which are massive.

Either I buy 100+ gtx 980, 1 for each workstation or a dedicated GPU cluster or a cloud solution.

Be good to be able to compare.

This is what we do http://www.Bennettsassociates.com

ORC is as simple as loading up exported .orbx file, setting the output resolutions & You'e ready to go. But You need to have already developed scene & packed up..

Local slave (or few) could not be changed by cloud, unless You have insanely fast internet connection (as You still need to drop huge models into the cloud somehow).

Buying a pair of multiGPU slaves (filled with something like 12GB TitanX cards) that in total have up to 12 GPU (current limit of network rendering) would be the best way to start with. In this case they could be used by anyone on Your local lan to hook up (as long as user have at least a single nvidia GPU) & speed up their rendering process (leveraging network rendering).

Because of unbiased nature of this engine it's very easy to master (especially combining HDR maps with more or less out of the box settings). Interiors are harder to get cleaned out of noise because of the same..unbiased nature. You'll probably also have to invest some times converting Your libraries & preparing assets..but once that done =) the life will get way easier than using anything else!
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ALIMAC » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:05 pm

ALIMAC Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:05 pm
cheers tom.

not used the standalone yet just the plug ins

i'll give it a go.

Also great tutorial on Peter's blog re hdr lighting.
ALIMAC

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs