Modo Plugin Roadmap

Forums: Modo Plugin Roadmap
Foundry Modo (Developed by stenson, Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: Modo Plugin Roadmap

Postby ch0pper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:25 pm

ch0pper Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:25 pm
thanks for the tip will check it out
W7 64 bit |I7-3970X | GTX 780 X2(6GB) GTX 780TI X2 | 64 GB DDR3 RAM
Real Skin & real hair for Poser / DAZ Studio OctaneRender/iray - coming soon
ch0pper
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby diegomaricato » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:34 pm

diegomaricato Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:34 pm
Hi Paul!

I really apreciate the work you´ve been doing for usa.

There is one thing I miss in Modo, not only in the Octane plugin, and I believe it is a limitation of Modo, so I would like to ask if is possible (in the future) to implement sliders like the Cinema 4D (attached). It is much easier to use than the Modo´s arrows. (the Graph Editor has sliders!)

Vray for Modo also has sliders, but I think it is and external app.

Thanks again.

Diego
diegomaricato
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:03 am

face_off Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:03 am
Hi Diego

Yes - the absence of sliders is a general Modo UI issue rather than specific to the plugin. Adding sliders to the plugin for the current version of Modo is not possible, since Modo manages the UI for the plugin properties/channels (and does not support sliders). Hopefully in the future it will be possible in Modo to add sliders (since I miss them too).

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby funk » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:40 am

funk Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:40 am
diegomaricato wrote:Vray for Modo also has sliders, but I think it is and external app.

Yes, the Vray Frame Buffer (where rendering happens) is really an external application. Vray's modo UI has no sliders that look like this.

Just in case you missed it, modo's sliders can be clicked, held and dragged so they really do the same thing.

diegomaricato wrote:the Graph Editor has sliders!

Um... That's a timeline with keys.
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby diegomaricato » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:37 pm

diegomaricato Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:37 pm
Thanks Paul and Funk for your answers!

Yes, you can click and drag, I just miss the precision of the sliders =), since sometimes you just don´t know if the maximum setting is 10 or 1000.

Maybe I´ll just edit in the forms and add the text in the tooltip or the label, it could help.

Thanks again!
diegomaricato
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Flyx » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:24 am

Flyx Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:24 am
Hi !

Just wanted to know if the procedural compatibility from modo is still on the road ?

After a long time away from octane i'm testing the demo on modo and find it very good, but i miss all the possibility of modo's procedurals. Of course you can still bake them but sometimes it's very long...

So are they still on the road map and is the plugin will be able to mix them like they are in the shader tree ( using layerad procedural for example, with opacity etc...) ?
Win 11 64bits | Geforce 3090 RTX | RYZEN 9 5950X | 64GB
Flyx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:59 am

face_off Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:59 am
Just wanted to know if the procedural compatibility from modo is still on the road ?

After a long time away from octane i'm testing the demo on modo and find it very good, but i miss all the possibility of modo's procedurals. Of course you can still bake them but sometimes it's very long...

So are they still on the road map and is the plugin will be able to mix them like they are in the shader tree ( using layerad procedural for example, with opacity etc...) ?
Hi. Yes, I agree that baking is not really viable. Implementing full support for Modo procedural textures requires enhancements to the Modo API (so that plugins can access the procedural bitmap info) - so the more people that request this from TF, the more likely it is to happen. Partial support may be possible by replicating the Modo procedural textures using Octane nodes, but this is not likely to be particularly accurate. Otoy has also announced that Octane 3 will support OSL (open shader language) which is going to open up a great number of possibilities for people to write their own shaders.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Flyx » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:26 pm

Flyx Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:26 pm
Ok thanks i will continue with baking for now

I think i saw somewhere that sustances were compatible ? Can remember and find where

And just one last thing ^^ it's about a bug but i don't want to create a new thread just for that, when i put a texture to roughness in the shader tree nothing happens in octane, the same texture within an overrride gives good result, but in the shader tree it doesn't work don't know why...tried roughness, specular roughness, well everything with roughness in the name. The same texture show's up when i switch to something like diffuse color
Flyx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:52 am

face_off Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:52 am
And just one last thing ^^ it's about a bug but i don't want to create a new thread just for that, when i put a texture to roughness in the shader tree nothing happens in octane, the same texture within an overrride gives good result, but in the shader tree it doesn't work don't know why...tried roughness, specular roughness, well everything with roughness in the name. The same texture show's up when i switch to something like diffuse color
Yes, at the moment you need to do this in an Octane Override. However support for images in more Effect types is on the TODO list for the net release.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Flyx » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:24 am

Flyx Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:24 am
What is the estimation for the next release with the "updated" on the fly conversion of map ? ( roughness, luminous^^ etc..) it's one of the only thing that is bothering me, i would like to be able to skip override as much as i can ^^ at least for "simple" material
Flyx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Modo