OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit 2.21.1 [TEST]

Postby Sonnemanntoon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:53 am

Sonnemanntoon Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:53 am
face_off wrote:
Can't seem to get the tiles to stack with displacement
The displacement map you are using doesn't seem to be an actual displacement map - looks most like a bump map - and will not give you the raised tiles look.

Another thing - I'm having alot of trouble lighting my scenes with HDR images.
This does not look like a HDRI map. You need to use a lat/long HDRI map as available in the thread at http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=146.

Thanks for the reply,
I've been going over several tutorials on how to create displacement maps but always come back to a very similar result as what I posted. What exactly do you define as a displacement map?

I've tried using several files from different sites listed in that link for HDRI but still can't find a satisfying result - the building is never directly lit as if it were in sunlight. For this submission we're going to have to use Vray and sketchup as we have run out of time. But for next dead line would be great to be able to render them on Octane. Any help is greatly appreciated
Sonnemanntoon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:52 am

face_off Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:52 am
I've been going over several tutorials on how to create displacement maps but always come back to a very similar result as what I posted. What exactly do you define as a displacement map?
You will need to use specific maps which displace the geometry. Something like the attached map gives a cloth displacement. Without knowing what you roof geometry looks like, it's hard to tell hat displacement map you would need.

I've tried using several files from different sites listed in that link for HDRI but still can't find a satisfying result - the building is never directly lit as if it were in sunlight.
Set the Texture Environment projection to Spherical and use the Y slider to rotate the HDR map until the sun is on the building. OR, use a Daylight environment, set the sun position via Revit, and load the HDR map into the Daylight background.

Paul
Attachments
displace2.jpg
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sonnemanntoon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:59 am

Sonnemanntoon Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:59 am
Hi paul
Unfortunately even after recreating different maps I still can't get that stacking effect on the tiles - it displaces but it doesn't stack the tiles.

Also regarding the HDRI - even with maps and moving the Y coordinate we achieve no difference. I've also noticed that OCtane doesn't reproduce the exact same sun settings as revit, the scene is always darker. And we wished to use HDR images to achieve a softer light than what revit emits.
Again any help is appreciated as at the moment we are having to render from 3DS which is not ideal as we wish to be able to render within revit.
Thanks
Sonnemanntoon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:56 am

face_off Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:56 am
Unfortunately even after recreating different maps I still can't get that stacking effect on the tiles - it displaces but it doesn't stack the tiles.
Octane (or any other renderer) can only displace polygons in the direction of the normal - it cannot create a stacked tiled from a displacement map.

Also regarding the HDRI - even with maps and moving the Y coordinate we achieve no difference.
If you set the projection to spherical and move the Y slider, it will rotate the HDRI.

I've also noticed that OCtane doesn't reproduce the exact same sun settings as revit, the scene is always darker.
You can increase the brightness of the scene with the Exposure slider.

And we wished to use HDR images to achieve a softer light than what revit emits.
If you use the Octane Daylight environment, you can increase the sun size to soften the shadows.

Without seeing an example of your render, it is hard to provide more meaningful advice.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:09 pm

face_off Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:09 pm
A quick rundown on HDR and Daylight lighting....

With Daylight Environment, you can illuminate with the sun only, in which case the sun direction is taken from Revit and the shadow sharpness can be controlled via the Sun Size.
daylight hdri.png

With the Daylight Environment you can also assign a background image. In this case, the shadows and lighting is determined from both the the sun direction, power and size, AND the background image.
dayight with background hdri.png

Alternatively, you can use the Texture Environment, in which case the Revit sun is ignored. If using this option, use a high quality HDRI map, which a bright sun in the image if you ant shadows. Set the Image gamma to 1. You can rotate the HDRI image via the Spherical Projection Rotation slider (as shown) - which will rotate the sun direction (if a sun is present in the HDRI map).
rotate hdri.png
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sonnemanntoon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:54 am

Sonnemanntoon Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:54 am
Thanks Paul, using the daylight environment + background image is working out nicely. I also found a slight compromise for the tile texture - adding a black and white gradient over the displacement map with each level of grey matched to a row of tiles seems create the illusion of stacking.
Cheers
Sonnemanntoon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit 2.22.2 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:20 am

face_off Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:20 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled with Octane 2.22.2. Refer to Octane 2.22.2 Standalone release notes for details.
- Pin changes to the Thin Lens and Panoramic camera stereo settings

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit 2.23.1 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Wed May 06, 2015 7:58 am

face_off Wed May 06, 2015 7:58 am

- Compiled with Octane 2.23.1
- Added Scale Textures option on the Octane material panel to scale all texturemaps and procedural textures for the given material simultaneously

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit 2.23.1 [TEST]

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed May 06, 2015 9:03 am

Seekerfinder Wed May 06, 2015 9:03 am
face_off wrote:- Added Scale Textures option on the Octane material panel to scale all texturemaps and procedural textures for the given material simultaneously

Awesome!!

Thanks Paul

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit 2.23.2 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Fri May 22, 2015 1:01 pm

face_off Fri May 22, 2015 1:01 pm

- Compiled with Octane 2.23.2
- Added "Copy Camera to Clipboard" option in the Settings tab to copy the current Octane camera into the Windows clipboard, so you can paste it into Octane Standalone
- Added "Start at Current Frame" and "End Frame" parameters to the Animation tab

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit