John Carmacks tweat

Forums: John Carmacks tweat
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: John Carmacks tweat

Postby Goldorak » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Goldorak Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 pm
ristoraven wrote:Should the lightfield technology be the thing for Octane based VR? Prebaked scenes + cloud rendering for interactive objects and particles and stuff..?

Yes, Light field export is an option we are working on adding to the cloud service to allow you to have head or body movement within a volume. This will take more GPU power to render than fixed point VR, and the raw uncompressed data is pretty large. However, the codec we have built squeezes down a 1 m cubic light field (more than enough for head tracking while sitting down) to < 32 Mb at near lossless quality, including HDR (for tone mapping at playback).

We plan to support animation, multi-light and render layer support on top of stereo panos and light field output.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Refracty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:42 am

Refracty Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:42 am
Does the Oculus 360 App also support precomputed panoramic animations or stills only?
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:30 pm

abstrax Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:30 pm
Refracty wrote:Does the Oculus 360 App also support precomputed panoramic animations or stills only?

It definitely supports panoramic animations and I think it also supports panoramic animations in stereo.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:32 am

Rikk The Gaijin Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:32 am
Refracty wrote:Does the Oculus 360 App also support precomputed panoramic animations or stills only?

Link to the app, please.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r-username » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:36 pm

r-username Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:36 pm
A fast question about the cubemap projection. Until the oculus 360 app is ready is there a way to use octane cubemaps in krpano?

From my understanding the cubes should be Front, Back, Up, Down, Right and Left for each eye. I chopped the render into 1536 cubes but could not get the cubes to align.

I did get the Stereo Left/Right to align but the Eye Distance may be off. I thought it could be .065 on the right render and an additional .065 for the left?
http://www.profileme.com/pano/stereo/index.html

No issues with just a plain pano render except the fact that is not stereo, and that is the point of vr
http://www.profileme.com/pano/mono/index.html

thanks in advance
Attachments
sphere.jpg
cubemap-stereo18432x1536.jpg
i7 960 - W7x64 - 12 GB - 2x GTX 780ti
http://www.startsimple.com/ - http://www.gigavr.com/
r-username
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:07 pm

Refracty Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:07 pm
Hi Marcus,
there is a note on the tweet that says "Note that the modified Oculus 360 Photos app for stereo cube viewing isn't public yet, but mono equirect works on older one."
Does it mean that I can not view stereo 360 images yet. I have a Gear VR on the table and need to feed it for a presentation for a client. Any help appreciated.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 pm

abstrax Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:22 pm
Refracty wrote:Hi Marcus,
there is a note on the tweet that says "Note that the modified Oculus 360 Photos app for stereo cube viewing isn't public yet, but mono equirect works on older one."
Does it mean that I can not view stereo 360 images yet. I have a Gear VR on the table and need to feed it for a presentation for a client. Any help appreciated.

Yes, that's what I said before:

abstrax wrote:Yes, we will give some more information about it in the coming days. It's all still experimental and in flux and a few things will change. And of course the viewing application is important, too, which is still in development by Oculus.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Refracty » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Refracty Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 pm
Thanks for the swift reply Marcus.
Ok, lets hope that stereo will be supported soon. Makes sense for a VR glass ;)
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:44 pm

abstrax Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:44 pm
r-username wrote:A fast question about the cubemap projection. Until the oculus 360 app is ready is there a way to use octane cubemaps in krpano?

From my understanding the cubes should be Front, Back, Up, Down, Right and Left for each eye. I chopped the render into 1536 cubes but could not get the cubes to align.

I did get the Stereo Left/Right to align but the Eye Distance may be off. I thought it could be .065 on the right render and an additional .065 for the left?
http://www.profileme.com/pano/stereo/index.html

No issues with just a plain pano render except the fact that is not stereo, and that is the point of vr
http://www.profileme.com/pano/mono/index.html

thanks in advance

What are you trying to do? You can't chop a spherical projection into cube mapping. You just have to render it out using the cube map projection, which is already possible in 2.21.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:45 pm

abstrax Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:45 pm
Refracty wrote:Thanks for the swift reply Marcus.
Ok, lets hope that stereo will be supported soon. Makes sense for a VR glass ;)

Yes, I hope so, too.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion