OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Revit [OBSOLETE]
Autodesk Revit (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Revit 2.16 [STABLE]

Postby face_off » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:58 pm

face_off Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:58 pm
Can you send me a revit scene with these elements pls?
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:55 pm

face_off Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:55 pm
I'm getting some artifacts from Revit, take a look at these rendered extrusions:
Thanks for sending through that scene. You need to ENABLE smoothing for the material used on the column. Pls see FAQ question 1 at http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=416.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby andredms » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:15 am

andredms Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:15 am
face_off wrote:Thanks for sending through that scene. You need to ENABLE smoothing for the material used on the column. Pls see FAQ question 1 at http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Revit/?page_id=416.

Paul

I'm aware of the smooth setting, but sometimes the Revit corrupts the geometry, and even the smooth material gets faceted. I was just wondering why the curve object get smooth on the viewport, and faceted on the rendering.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:16 am

face_off Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:16 am
I'm aware of the smooth setting, but sometimes the Revit corrupts the geometry, and even the smooth material gets faceted. I was just wondering why the curve object get smooth on the viewport, and faceted on the rendering.
I'd need to see a a sample rvt file where enabling smoothing still results in a faceted render to provide a answer. The only explanation I can think of at the moment is that the individual polygons are not welded together on the object. In this case, the Revit renderer would also render faceted. Also - the geometry extraction process in Revit 2014 & 2015 is vastly superior to that of Revit 2013 - so upgrading to 2014 or 2015 will most likely rectify these sorts of issues.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thefishnut » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:23 am

thefishnut Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:23 am
face_off wrote:
Have been testing out the save to defaults orbx feature quite a lot and it seems to be working great. The only bug I have found so far is when making a change to an already saved to default orbx material, and re-saving to default. A error occurs and the original orbx file seems to loose its embedded textures, as the file size reduces to about 15KB.
Other than that so far it is working great
I have been talking to Otoy about using the ORBX format for storing "Default" materials - and there are some complexities with this strategy which are of concern. For example, if you have a default ORBX material containing a texturemap, if you copy the rvt file to another PC - you will need to also copy the default ORBX files (since the texturemaps used in the .rvt reference texturemaps inside the ORBX files). I think this is going to be confusing to users - particularly where you have saved a "Default" which contains a texturemap from the Revit materials library - which would exist on other PC's with Revit installed. Plus, once you have saved a default for a material, there is no way to edit and resave that ORBX (for technical reasons that I won't bore you with). The above issues exist with the LocalDb too on Octane Standalone (ie. once you have saved a material to the LocalDb, you cannot update it and re-save to the same LocalDb name).

So I think the best solution is to change the "default" material save format from ORBX to OCS. With OCS files the texturemaps are on your filesystem, so you can manage where they are stored and ensure they are copied onto other PC's when the .rvt is copied. Plus the OCS format is "future-proof" for any changes make to the Octane node structure and when loaded Octane will automatically convert the nodes form the Octane version they were saved in to the current Octane version of the plugin.

Happy to explain/discuss if people have questions...

Paul

Hi Paul,
I hadn't got to opportunity to chime in on this, but it is unfortunate that saving over an obrx file wont work, I had noticed this in the standalone previously. Is this an issue that the otoy team is working on? I feel like ultimately orbx is the answer to simplifying and maintaining a clean database of materials. I do understand your point in regards to revit users when using the material library of revit (however I am sure after gaining some experience with octane, most of these people will crave higher quality textures from else where). Ultimately if otoy fixes the overwrite issue of orbx, maybe the ability for the octane revit plugin to use both orbx and ocs formats would be flexible for all occasions. I do see occasions where having all my file consolidated in orbx maybe be cumbersome, when for example wanting to extract the texture on the fly for one off editing(meaning unpacking). But maybe this can even be overcome in the future, with an right click option within the plugin to unpack the default orbx material being used, and automatic relink the texture files to the unpacked versions stored within the live database folder.

Just a bit of brainstorming :)
Win 8 64 | 2 x Geforce GTX780 6gb | i7 4790k | 32GB
thefishnut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:52 am

face_off Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:52 am
I hadn't got to opportunity to chime in on this, but it is unfortunate that saving over an obrx file wont work, I had noticed this in the standalone previously. Is this an issue that the otoy team is working on? I feel like ultimately orbx is the answer to simplifying and maintaining a clean database of materials. I do understand your point in regards to revit users when using the material library of revit (however I am sure after gaining some experience with octane, most of these people will crave higher quality textures from else where). Ultimately if otoy fixes the overwrite issue of orbx, maybe the ability for the octane revit plugin to use both orbx and ocs formats would be flexible for all occasions. I do see occasions where having all my file consolidated in orbx maybe be cumbersome, when for example wanting to extract the texture on the fly for one off editing(meaning unpacking). But maybe this can even be overcome in the future, with an right click option within the plugin to unpack the default orbx material being used, and automatic relink the texture files to the unpacked versions stored within the live database folder.
The ORBX format is intended as an export container, and not designed for read/write (ie. update) on an ongoing basis. So it's probably the wrong tool for defaults. And yes, if you try to save over an ORBX in Octane Standalone, you will loose the texturemaps, which Otoy are aware of. So I think currently the best default format is OCS, but in the future maybe ORBX will be possible.

In general, keeping track of all the assets of a Revit (or any Octane plugin) is a challenge. I added a feature in the ArchiCAD plugin to export all assets to a single folder for archiving purposes (so it copied all texturemap and proxies to that folder) - and then it changes all the references in the Octane nodes to the new file location. But it too is not perfect, because how are texturemaps from different folders with the same filename handled? In the ArchiCAD plugin case it renames all texturemaps to have a unique name - but that has created other issues. So in summary - it's really something that has to be managed by the user (as you are doing).

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:13 am

face_off Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:13 am
I have refreshed the STABLE installer downloads at the top of this thread to release 2.16.0.25 (the current TEST build). Pls see the TEST thread for release notes.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Revit Beta 2.12.1 [STABLE]

Postby andredms » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:56 pm

andredms Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:56 pm
face_off wrote:I was able to get it working by:

- Set Subdivision level to 1 and subdivision sharpness to 11 and click the reload button for the mesh
- Set the height of the displacement to 0.1

The above only works for Octane Standalone (since the Revit plugin does not provide Subd controls).

Hello Paul,

Do you have any estimate of when this will be available inside the plugin? There are several issues that make impossible to render large scenes:

> the exported ORBX gets very large, several GBs;
> on large scenes, it's impossible to find and select the specific geometry that needs to be reconfigured/reloaded;

The solution could involve the specification of subdivision controls into the material displacement parameters, inside the plugin.

The new sliders for color specification are a pain to use - it must also have a text input option.

About the light fixture objects, to get rid of that dark bloob, one must disable the visualization of the photometric web reference. This should never get into the rendering scene, it's just a reference to pick inside Revit.
andredms
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 am

face_off Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 am
Do you have any estimate of when this will be available inside the plugin? There are several issues that make impossible to render large scenes:

> the exported ORBX gets very large, several GBs;
> on large scenes, it's impossible to find and select the specific geometry that needs to be reconfigured/reloaded;

The solution could involve the specification of subdivision controls into the material displacement parameters, inside the plugin.
If exporting a large scene - export to OCS, not ORBX. ORBX packages up the ABC animation file, whereas OCS leaves it as a separate file, which is less disk intensive.

The Revit API does not easily support adding subd controls. A geometry item might have multiple Octane materials, so adding the subd control to the materials is not a valid solution. They really need to be attached to the geometry.

IMO the better solution is to create many more control points in the topology that you are trying to subd. More control points means more polygons - which will get around the displacement issue you have (assuming this is why you need to subd).

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:02 am

face_off Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:02 am
EDIT to the above...

on large scenes, it's impossible to find and select the specific geometry that needs to be reconfigured/reloaded;
Yes - all (non-proxy) geometry is contained in a single Mesh node. So if you are trying to subd a mesh element from Revit - you will need to subd the mesh node which contains the entire scene. Proxies on the other hand are separate mesh nodes.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Revit