Real world F-stop DOF

Forums: Real world F-stop DOF
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Real world F-stop DOF

Postby martincarlson » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:46 pm

martincarlson Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:46 pm
Hello and thank you for a fantastic product and a brilliant developing team. I'm in love with Octane and have some feedback.

There’s really only one thing right now that I would like to see in the future versions. Since I’m coming from both native Cinema 4D renderer and VrayC4D, I miss physically correct DOF settings. Octane produces beautiful DOF, but it is controlled in a strange fake way.

I would like the Aperture control to have a more physical correlation to the choosen lens first of all. And instead of the current Aperture slider, I’d rather see regular f-stop values (like before) instead which controlled the DOF. Like if I’ve choosen a 35 mm lens at F2,8 there would be less DOF than a 70 mm at F2,8. A more real world psysical approach for more "real" and correct DOF.

I would also love if there was a Levels and Curves next to Response in Camera Imager. Making it one step closer not needing Photoshop to deliver a good raw render.
Martin Carlson, Visual and Audial Designer at Katzenwaffe Creative Studio | www.katzenwaffe.se | Soundcloud | Twitter

Intel Core i7-5930K / ASUS X99-E WS / 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB / 32 GB RAM / Windows 10 / C4D R16 / Octane Standalone 3.03.3 / OctaneC4D 3.03.3-R1
martincarlson
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Real world F-stop DOF

Postby abstrax » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:04 pm

abstrax Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:04 pm
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 pm

itsallgoode9 Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 pm
abstrax wrote:Try this: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=43948

If Maya could import .orbx or access the local DB files that setup would be helpful :(

I still think it was a bad idea to completely get rid of real world camera settings. Hopefully the team is reconsidering this. I don't think people should be forced to used the real world camera setting since alot of people are not familiar with these, but I wish they hadn't been completely removed. It would be nice if there was a node for both methods...real camera settings and octane's method.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prodviz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:55 pm

prodviz Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:55 pm
I don't know about that.

The settings which got removed only had the name of real world settings, but only acted as 2 extra exposure controls.

I'd like to have real world settings, but only if they work like the real world.

cheers.
prodviz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:40 am

itsallgoode9 Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:40 am
prodviz wrote:I don't know about that.

The settings which got removed only had the name of real world settings, but only acted as 2 extra exposure controls.

I'd like to have real world settings, but only if they work like the real world.

cheers.

I should clarify, that's what i meant. They should've been left in there and made to work correctly
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 am

abstrax Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:If Maya could import .orbx or access the local DB files that setup would be helpful :(

We will improve things in that area in the future. I'm not sure about the Maya plugin, but in most plugins the camera settings are done using the camera settings of the host application. Don't you have f-stop etc. in the Maya cameras?

I still think it was a bad idea to completely get rid of real world camera settings. Hopefully the team is reconsidering this. I don't think people should be forced to used the real world camera setting since alot of people are not familiar with these, but I wish they hadn't been completely removed. It would be nice if there was a node for both methods...real camera settings and octane's method.

We never removed any "real world" settings from the camera. What we removed were "fake world" settings from the imager, which is responsible for tone mapping, i.e. converting the film buffer into a RGB image. The imager doesn't have anything to do with the camera.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:52 am

abstrax Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:52 am
One more thing: The aperture is not a fake value, but the radius of the lens opening in cm.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby smicha » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:20 am

smicha Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:20 am
abstrax wrote:One more thing: The aperture is not a fake value, but the radius of the lens opening in cm.

That's right. Looking at entire discussion I thinks it's all about having true 'f stop' in Octane. This would be great to have it combined with certain/predefined type of lens and its focal length, i.e., shooting and an object from 2 meters with 24-70mm 2.8 nikkor lens at aperture set to 4.0 and 50mm shall reproduce true depth of field and bokeh for a FF camera.
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby martincarlson » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:33 am

martincarlson Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:33 am
Thanks for the link abstrax, but i'm running the c4d-plugin. But is there actually a matemathical formula I can use?
Martin Carlson, Visual and Audial Designer at Katzenwaffe Creative Studio | www.katzenwaffe.se | Soundcloud | Twitter

Intel Core i7-5930K / ASUS X99-E WS / 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB / 32 GB RAM / Windows 10 / C4D R16 / Octane Standalone 3.03.3 / OctaneC4D 3.03.3-R1
martincarlson
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby prodviz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:56 am

prodviz Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:56 am
abstrax wrote:
itsallgoode9 wrote:We will improve things in that area in the future. I'm not sure about the Maya plugin, but in most plugins the camera settings are done using the camera settings of the host application. Don't you have f-stop etc. in the Maya cameras?

In Maya there is a 'Depth of Field' tab which has an F Stop value, but I don't think this works with Octane (I'm not at a pc with Octane, to check this at the mo).
I think these settings are for MentalRay and the Maya render engine.

Most of the Octane settings look to be under a separate 'Octane Camera' and 'Octane Imager' tab.
prodviz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to General Discussion