EV compensation

Forums: EV compensation
Forum for OctaneRender Lua scripting examples, discussion and support.

EV compensation

Postby abstrax » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 pm

abstrax Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 pm
Hi all,

Beppe asked yesterday how to calculate the exposure using some EV compensation like in a real camera. So I wrote a small Lua script graph. In case somebody finds it useful, you can get it here:
ev_compensation.orbx
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 812 times

Again, just import the package and connect it with the exposure pin of the camera imager node:
ev_compensation.png

Happy rendering,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: EV compensation

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 am

bepeg4d Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 am
big thanks Marcus, you are a genius :)
it works very well :)
the ability to save the scripted graph nodes in the LocalDB is fantastic, drag and drop and go, simply great ;)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: EV compensation

Postby linvanchene » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:03 am

linvanchene Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:03 am
abstrax wrote:Hi all,

Beppe asked yesterday how to calculate the exposure using some EV compensation like in a real camera. So I wrote a small Lua script graph. In case somebody finds it useful, you can get it here:

Again, just import the package and connect it with the exposure pin of the camera imager node:

Happy rendering,
Marcus

Very useful indeed. Thank you a lot for providing this option! :D

Since I am used to EV steps from photography fine tuning the exposure that way is very conveniant.

OR2.20 EV compensation.jpg

- - -

Side note:

Since some people miss the old school exposure settings for reasons that are totally beyond me,

Update/Edit:
I tried an explanation but removed it again to save you a long read that will just end up adding more confusion.

The short version may be:
Three slider yielded the illusion of more subtle control.

- - -

In any way the EV compensation script now offers a very useful way to finetune scenes.

Selecting "brigher" or "darker" to fine tune the brightness further in the needed direction is a much more intuitive option than trying random combinations of three sliders that in hindsight all seemed to be doing the same thing. :!:
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lua Scripting