material not loaded from skp material editor

Forums: material not loaded from skp material editor
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

material not loaded from skp material editor

Postby macchiorlatti » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:34 am

macchiorlatti Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:34 am
HI,
sometimes I hit the paintbucket button in skp mat editor but nothing happens in the octane mat editor, then I hit the paintbucket button in the oct mat editor and TRY to select a material in the viewport and also nothing happens etc. etc.
I appreciate an answer from octane team.
My euros work perfectly from the first to the last.
macchiorlatti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: material not loaded from skp material editor

Postby resmas » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:31 pm

resmas Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:31 pm
Hello there mate, yes sometimes paintbucket button doesnt work 100%, just close the material editor and reopen and that should solve it.

As you might know this is a plugin in beta stage...so some errors might happen. ;)

My euros work perfectly from the first to the last.

Euros are here since 2002, so they work ok, but most of the time are gone in a blink of an eye.

Very stable in here.

cheers
resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
https://pt-pt.facebook.com/arq.resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby macchiorlatti » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:10 pm

macchiorlatti Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:10 pm
thank you for the reply
macchiorlatti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby macchiorlatti » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:17 pm

macchiorlatti Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:17 pm
"yes sometimes paintbucket button doesnt work 100%"
octane or sketchup mat editor?
I've noticed that there are problems with linked meterial (oct mat editor doesn't re-open some linked material).
Is it possible save ALL the live DB somewhere and sometimes refresh it? (maybe a stable directory works better in windows 8.1, and so should be possible work offline...)
macchiorlatti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fuzzybro » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:49 am

fuzzybro Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:49 am
Hi macchiorlatti,

If something breaks you can try opening "Window" -> Ruby Console" in the context menu. Sometimes weird things might happen due to other 3-rd party plugins or some bugs in Octane SU and Ruby Console might display some info.

Also, could you please clarify what are you trying to achieve? You select paint bucket in the Sketchup editor and what happens next? Or at least what are you expecting to happen?

Thanks,
F
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby resmas » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:07 am

resmas Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:07 am
Hello Fuzzy.

The problem is that the paintbucket sometimes doesnt work(random event, most of the times it happens while we are working inside a group/component). If we select a material noting happens in the material window menu.

Also the octane material window randomly open empty. :shock:

Most of the times, closing the group, and octane materials window and then refresh octane solves the problem. Sometimes we need to restart SU.

I think in Windows 8 happens more then in Windows 7... But is just a guess.

Cheers
Resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fuzzybro » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 pm

fuzzybro Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 pm
Hi resmas,

What do you mean by paint bucket? Is it material picker or what?
So basically, what exactly do I need to click to make it not work? :D

Cheers,
Bro
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby resmas » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 pm

resmas Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 pm
fuzzybro wrote:Hi resmas,

What do you mean by paint bucket? Is it material picker or what?
So basically, what exactly do I need to click to make it not work? :D

Cheers,
Bro

Hello there mate, sorry, it is the material picker.... :oops:

The steps are...

- when modeling/teaking materials with the Octane VP open in big projects with several materials

- i the octane material window to have more space to work, and then reopen when i need. At this point if im inside a group, or componente, the Octane material window opens but is empty(blank). This happens randomly... cant say exactly how and when it happens.

- most of the times i use the material picker from SU to open the specific material in the octane material window. And once again, sometimes expecially if we are inside a group/componente, the material picker doesnt select and open the material in octane material menu. Random event again... :?

At my worksation i have 2 monitors so i dont close the Windows many times, its Win7 and i dont get so many errors like this. In the laptop i have to close and open many times the octane material window, and i get this event more often.

I will try to record a gif while doing this so you can see better.

Sorry for the texto errors...lol...i dont have english corrector in this laptop....hehhehe

Cheers
resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fuzzybro » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:31 pm

fuzzybro Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:31 pm
Cool, now I got it. Yeah, I had these issues a couple of times but was hoping that they are fixed by now. I'll try to figure out what's wrong.

As for material picker, I need more details, but I think I know where is the issue.
So let's assume you have some geometry in a group and you have some material. Material is being applied to the group but not the geometry inside the group, right?
So when you try to pick material from the group, it works (because you pick the material from the group). Then when you open the group and edit the actual geometry which has no material and you try to pick material from a face, picker doesn't work.. right? If so, I can see why.. faces have no material applied so it doesn't work.

I never thought about this scenario.. Plugin logic works perfectly :D
I'll check this and will try to implement a workaround.

Thanks for pointing this out.

PS: English corrector? Never heard of it. Only raw poor English knowledge, only hardcore :D

--
Bro
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby fuzzybro » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:24 am

fuzzybro Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:24 am
Okay, nailed it. It was a combination of two issues:
1) As I described, when picking using picker from Octane materials if face had no material but parent group had nothing happened. This was due to the fact that Sketchup API doesn't provide a method to invoke SU material picker tool from the code.. SO I had to re-implement the picker tool for Octane plugin. Also there is a bug in SU API that didn't return the full path to the picked face so I had to build a workaround
2) When Octane viewport is closed but Material Editor is opened, picking material didn't result to anything cause materials were not exported to the Octane plugin. This is fixed as well.

I hope it makes 96% now :D
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to SketchUp