OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.13

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.13
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.13

Postby abstrax » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:23 am

abstrax Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:23 am
Hi all,

This is another maintenance update of OctaneRender 2.1x. Beside lots of fixes it contains two major changes: The addition of a motion vector render pass and the switch to CUDA 6.5. Let me explain what the switch to CUDA 6.5 means:

Until now, Octane kernels were compiled with CUDA 4.0, which provides a compiler based on Open64. With CUDA 4.1 NVIDIA introduced a new compiler based on LLVM, which produced totally different output and made Octane 10-15% slower. On the other hand, GPUs of newer compute models (like Maxwell) couldn't be built with CUDA 4.0. So we had to use a mix of different toolkits to support the various GPU architectures. Another problem was that on Mac OS you could either use only CUDA 4.0 on Xcode 3 or CUDA 4.1 (or higher) on Xcode 4 (or higher), effectively prohibiting the toolkit mix we used on Windows and Linux (which is the reason why OSX builds didn't have Maxwell support yet).

To fix all that mess and to allow us to do some interesting things in the future, we really needed to switch to a recent toolkit. It took us 3 tries to adapt the code for CUDA 6.5 without a too big performance loss. Since the output of the LLVM based compiler is very different from the old Open64 based compiler (CUDA 4.0), most scenes will render with slightly different speeds compared to version 2.12.1. Some scenes will be faster while others will be slower. It's hard to say what exactly works better/worse, but as a general trend, scenes with instances (i.e. most scenes) often render a bit faster in DL and PT, while single mesh scenes (like the old benchmark) render a bit slower in DL and PT. PMC seems to be a bit slower in most cases. Maxwell 2 GPUs got a lot faster (because of the switch and other optimizations). Let us know if there are any scenes that render significantly (i.e. more than 10%) slower than before.

Due to the switch to CUDA 6.5 you will need a current graphics driver of version 344.x or higher. On Mac OSX you will need a CUDA driver of version 6.5 or higher (see http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html). The minimum supported version of Mac OS is 10.7.

Changes since version 2.12.1:

• Switched to CUDA 6.5.
  • Improved performance of Maxwell 2 GPUs (GTX 970 and GTX 980).
  • Added motion vector render pass.
  • Added new option "AO alpha shadows" to info channel kernel. If enabled, opacity is now taken into account in the AO calculation.
  • Added option "AO alpha shadows" to the render passes node.
  • Sped up processing of HDR textures which should reduce the delay when a scene with many HDR textures is loaded on the GPU.
  • On Mac OSX, native file dialogs are used by default.
  • Fixed broken motion blur of hair primitives on Linux.
  • Fixed displacement "cracks" (see viewtopic.php?f=81&t=43228).
  • Fixed memory leak when environment importance sampling is used.
  • Fixed incorrect sampling when multiple GPUs with mixed render priorities are used (see viewtopic.php?p=210018#p210018).
  • Fixed pausing for the info render passes.
  • Fixed emitter sampling of animated meshes (see viewtopic.php?p=209832#p209832).
  • Fixed mix material in the AO/wireframe info channel kernels.
  • Fixed crash in undo system when specific nodes were deleted while being displayed in the node inspector.
  • Fixed crash if a project was opened and rendering got started via the command line and then a new project is loaded via the menu.
  • When the software viewport is being used, the background image con now be disabled.
  • Added render pass options to the animation render script.
  • Added octane.render.saveRenderPasses() which saves the current render passes as separate files.
  • Added octane.file.resolveTemplate() which can be used to resolve file names from a template with placeholders.
  • Fixed evaluation of render target selection in the batch render script.
  • Fixed crash when a tabbed Lua window gets closed.
  • Fixed naming of EXR layers in the animation render script.

Minor update of 19/11/2014:

We uploaded a small update (version number didn't change) that fixes two small problem introduced with the release:

Download

Windows
- 32-bit ZIP
- 64-bit ZIP

Mac OS X
- 64-bit DMG

Linux
- 64-bit ZIP

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY NZ Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.13 [latest 2.xx]

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:33 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:33 am
Thank you!
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:45 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:45 am
I'm trying the new animation script that is supposed to save all the render passes, however it doesn't work... :(
these are the passes as I see them in Octane:

Full frame
full.jpg

Reflections
reflections.jpg

Refractions
refractions.jpg

And this is what the script is saving out... :?
The files called "refractions" are actually the full frame ones, and then I have those weird files with letters, numbers and symbols... :?
files.jpg
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:13 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:13 am
I have the feeling the problem is in the Filename Template... At the moment is says frame_%f_%p.%e, If I change any of that, nothing is saved out...
I've also tried to rename those weird files into .png and they do have some of the render passes inside, but the script is obviously broken.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:31 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:31 am
Another problem, if I save the files checking the "Use multi-layer EXR" option, the saved files are empty, just black... :(
EDIT: this seems to be a bigger problem, even if I save a single EXR file, once opened in Photoshop, it comes out all black, with no layers...
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:20 am

glimpse Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:20 am
Thanks for an update! & those few lines in the beginning. Understanding how things are going gives a bit of perspective, that some users are very thankful for!

Now really got curious how Octane Render is going to perform on Maxwell based cards.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:33 am

stratified Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:33 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:Another problem, if I save the files checking the "Use multi-layer EXR" option, the saved files are empty, just black... :(
EDIT: this seems to be a bigger problem, even if I save a single EXR file, once opened in Photoshop, it comes out all black, with no layers...

Yep, that looks broken. Sorry about that. I will fix this asap.

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:06 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:06 am
stratified wrote:
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:Another problem, if I save the files checking the "Use multi-layer EXR" option, the saved files are empty, just black... :(

cheers,
Thomas

What about the script? I need it ASAP on the project I'm working on, any idea on how long could it take to fix it? :cry:
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:11 am

smicha Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:11 am
Thank you guys for your work! I confirm Marcus words - I encountered little slowdown (5%) compared to 2.12.1.
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:24 am

stratified Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:24 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:
stratified wrote:

cheers,
Thomas

What about the script? I need it ASAP on the project I'm working on, any idea on how long could it take to fix it? :cry:

I will have a look at it at work tomorrow. The sun is setting in NZ and the GPU in my laptop isn't playing nice with me. This feature wasn't even available 2 hours ago...

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Development Build Releases