Octane/LW questions and comments

Forums: Octane/LW questions and comments
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: Octane/LW questions and comments

Postby juanjgon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:34 pm

juanjgon Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:34 pm
Thanks for the files. Yes, you are right, this IES files doesn't work in Octane. I tested them with the plugin and with the Standalone and I only get a black render. Increment the light power add some light to the scene to see something, but anyway I think that the render is not ok.

Can you post a sample image from VRay to know how are this lights inside a scene?

I will report this files to the Octane developers to try to fix this problem.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Builtdown » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:05 am

Builtdown Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:05 am
Hi,

Few more question :

1# I´m trying to make a sea scene. I want a displaced water and with LW crumple procedural because it´s the best procedural for this case. I got the displaced water working but there are some ugly seams. I don´t know why there are such. How to get rid of those?

2# How can I add simple fog to a scene in OCTANE? No need for any volymetric fog but just to "lighten" some islands in the far away horizon etc. Like in LW Fog.

3# I want to use Octane Daylight node. I would like to add a background HDR image (as a jpg) of clouds (that follow camera) but not want the background to affect lightning. If I connect a texture to Daylight node, it overrides the Daylight ligthning...

4# About the Dirt texture: I have a texture that I would like to add dirt to tight corners. If I add the Dirt node to the diffuse channel, I get the dirt to the corners but the texture otherwise turns washed out. How to just add dirt to the corners but not to affect the texture otherwise?

Thanks,

-Builtdown
Builtdown
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:47 am

juanjgon Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:47 am
To try to avoid the seams you can set the "border mode" parameter in the texture node to "mirror". Octane currently doesn't have a simple fog feature, you need to render a z-depth pass and make it in post.

Yes, if you connect a texture to the daylight node, the light from the sky is replaced by the texture lighting (the sun direct light is not replaced, only the environment sky light). I don't know a way to avoid this effect, usually the texture sky background+sun works fine ... to add a custom background without affect the lighting you are going to need to use the native LW compositing functions, or make it in post using the alpha channel. Or you can choose an HDRI background to full illuminate your scene using the texture environment node, not the daylight one.

About the dirt node, perhaps you could use it with the texture multiply texture node to mix the main diffuse texture and the dirt effect, as you can see in the attached image. Also you can play with the "strength" parameter to make the dirt less visible.

-Juanjo
Attachments
image000273.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Builtdown » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 am

Builtdown Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 am
Thanks,

Mirror border mode didn´t solve the problem. I rendered a large picture of Crumple procedural in LW and used that as a displacement map with Octane. That got rid of the seams but now I can´t animate the sea.
How would you make a moving displaced sea with LW/Octane? Tips are welcome.

Can I somehow use a native LW composition background that would "move with camera"?

- Builtdown
Builtdown
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:34 am

juanjgon Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:34 am
Perhaps you could render an animated sequence of your large crumple procedural texture. Octane should work with animated texture sequences.

About the animated clouds background, perhaps you could render a pass of your camera movement with only the textured background in the scene, and later use this background sequence as a Lightwave background while rendering the final scene. You can also make the mix in post, but the LW composition should work. Remember that to use the LW compositing functions you need to enable the alpha channel in the kernel node.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Builtdown » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:04 am

Builtdown Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:04 am
Hi,

That´s too much hassle for such a simple thing.

Odd thing I noticed when testing the Mirror Border mode :
When using the Octane texture image-node+Crumple as a color diffuse, the Mirror border seems to work.
When I do the same with Displacement, the Mirror border mode doesn´t work. A bug? Could you please fix that?

- Builtdown
Builtdown
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:25 am

juanjgon Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:25 am
Builtdown wrote:Odd thing I noticed when testing the Mirror Border mode :
When using the Octane texture image-node+Crumple as a color diffuse, the Mirror border seems to work.
When I do the same with Displacement, the Mirror border mode doesn´t work. A bug? Could you please fix that?

Oppps ... sorry, you are right. I am testing the border mode parameter in the Standalone app and I think that displacement doesn't support the border modes currently, this is why you can't remove the seams in mirror mode ... your only chance is to use a displacement with high resolution in the texture node and level of detail in the displacement node (4096) with a small scale procedural and apply it a big surface area, or if this is not enough, render a very high resolution texture map to use it as displacement.

I think that your procedural with small scale and 4096 resolution in the texture node (and 4096 or 8192 in the level of detail parameter in the displacement node) could be enough to displace a big are in your sea plane.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MrFurious » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:20 pm

MrFurious Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:20 pm
gordonrobb wrote:
UnCommonGrafx wrote:Someone posted this graphic for using the lw camera's dof settings to control the Octane camera's dof.
I have found it indispensable and keeps it lw-ish.
fstop2.jpg

That's neat. You could just add the null for setting focal distance thing and it would be superb.

Correct It's not just the node setup but setting up your camera and a DOF target null also. Here's the original post
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36986&hilit=dof
Dino Inglese
CG Artist
Melbourne Australia

Intel Core i7-4820K, 3x GTX 980ti
Windows 7 64bit, Modo 12.2v2 for PC
Octane build 4.04.0.145
MrFurious
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Builtdown » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:00 am

Builtdown Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:00 am
Hi,

I have to render a version with shadows disabled everytime I do exterior archviz, because the daylight shadows are always too dark for customers eyes. My question is :
1# Why does it take so much longer to render an image with no shadows?
I render a normal image (Direct light Diffuse) in 5 hours. When I uncheck "Cast Shadows" for all objects and render again, it takes about 10 hours to render the same image.
Builtdown
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:05 am

juanjgon Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:05 am
Builtdown wrote:Hi,

I have to render a version with shadows disabled everytime I do exterior archviz, because the daylight shadows are always too dark for customers eyes. My question is :
1# Why does it take so much longer to render an image with no shadows?
I render a normal image (Direct light Diffuse) in 5 hours. When I uncheck "Cast Shadows" for all objects and render again, it takes about 10 hours to render the same image.

Really I don't know, it is an strange issue, perhaps after 5 hours the image has the same quality than the scene with shadows because the shadows samples time is now used to render the other scene samples.

About the problem with the shadows ... the film responses and gamma settings are not enough to get images with less contrast. Perhaps also you should save the images in Linear EXR and try to tweak them in Photoshop or other post software. In the version 2.11 you are going to have a new parameter to compress the lighting, that perhaps could help in your scenes.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Lightwave 3D