TIG's exporter vs Octane .ocs exporter - scaling issue

Forums: TIG's exporter vs Octane .ocs exporter - scaling issue
SketchUp Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

TIG's exporter vs Octane .ocs exporter - scaling issue

Postby smicha » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:34 am

smicha Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:34 am
I found another problem. I've used TIG's exporter for years so tons of my obj geometry have been exported this way. It works perfectly well.

What surprised me was scaling of textures after using octane .ocs exporter. I have some geometry exported using TIG's plugin and some by Octane. These work in different ways. TIG's exporter stores all information of texture scaling in obj and mtl - and this is IMO the correct way of exporting geometry, while Octane exports scaling values into an image texture node in the UV input. See the screenshot. So when you change the texture the scaling is not valid anymore.

So my next wish is to unify the ocs scene exporter with TIG's exporter - and make it working like TIG's one.
Attachments
TIGvsOctane.jpg
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: TIG's exporter vs Octane .ocs exporter - scaling issue

Postby resmas » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:02 pm

resmas Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:02 pm
I think you are correct here.
My knowledge is low in texturing/mapping, and i agree that the after we texturing a model in SU, when we export to OCS, the mapping of the geometry is only aplyed to to that specific exported material, and then in standAlone if we want to change material to another the mapping sacle is lost.

For a simple exemple, a house modedel, textured and rendered in SU (with Octane). Then for transport reason, moving to laptop to meet the client, etc etc, we export to OCS/ORBX. All seems ok until cliente says, "can you make that brick wall in concret?" if we aplly a new material to that geometry the scale will be all wrong.

i dont know for sure but i think this has something to do with the scale of texture export. I use/work in meters 1/1, but for some reason i think it the plugin export texture in inches....dont know.

Its something we need to look closely to find the best way.

cheers
resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
https://pt-pt.facebook.com/arq.resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fuzzybro » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:03 pm

fuzzybro Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:03 pm
Yeah.. proper material support is a pain with SU. We have to trade between proper interactive updates or correct way to export.
SU has a scale factor for textures in materials which I have to take into account to display textures correctly.
TIG's plugin changes geometry UV coordinates which makes it not reusable. I have to store UV coords unmodified and do tricks with texture and material scaling to support geometry instancing. So it's either or. I encourage using TIG's plugin for export.

Cheers
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby resmas » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:28 pm

resmas Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:28 pm
fuzzybro wrote:Yeah.. proper material support is a pain with SU. We have to trade between proper interactive updates or correct way to export.
SU has a scale factor for textures in materials which I have to take into account to display textures correctly.
TIG's plugin changes geometry UV coordinates which makes it not reusable. I have to store UV coords unmodified and do tricks with texture and material scaling to support geometry instancing. So it's either or. I encourage using TIG's plugin for export.

Cheers

Hello Fuzzy, hope all is going great in Vancover :D.

I remenber the hard time we gave you about materials, and textures in SU.
And i must agree that now i can model/texture and edit a project without many problems, as long as i keep inside SU.

Lets pray for the 64b SU version.

cheers
resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fuzzybro » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:33 pm

fuzzybro Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:33 pm
resmas wrote:
fuzzybro wrote:Yeah.. proper material support is a pain with SU. We have to trade between proper interactive updates or correct way to export.

Cheers

Hello Fuzzy, hope all is going great in Vancover :D.

I remenber the hard time we gave you about materials, and textures in SU.
And i must agree that now i can model/texture and edit a project without many problems, as long as i keep inside SU.

Lets pray for the 64b SU version.

cheers
resmas

I'm not in Vancouver, that's why I can finally concentrate on SU :D
Praying for x64 as well.. this is crazy how those guys managed to stay x32 all these years.
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby resmas » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:04 pm

resmas Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:04 pm
Ohhh i thought you were there.
That is great news :D

About 32b SU....well ...even Chess is a 64b aplication...ehehheh.

cheers
resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to SketchUp